Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
farmfresh
Registered Users
seller

Re: An (Elegant) Minimalist Wedding?

some things that i did for my wedding that were minimalist (you can decide if they were elegant or not. our opinions on that may differ). I ditched pew bows, corsages, boutoneers (what guy wants to wear a flower anyway?). we decorated the sanctuary with off white candles of all sizes and shapes along the kneeling rail, top of the piano and the shelf thing in front of the baptismal. we also had a few bouquets of fresh flowers (swiped from the yards of family members) here and there and 2 big ferns. we also used a single layer of off white tulle, draped along the front of the kneeling rail. VERY simple, inexpensive (well, 97 candles isnt exactly cheap, but...), romantic, and unique. We ditched the traditional wedding party and asked our brothers to be ushers and sisters to be candle lighters. i also decorated the front entry with our families wedding pictures. our parents, gparents, great gparents, and even gg gparents pics from their wedding day on a small table, his family on the right, mine on the left. it was really neat.

I didnt exactly have wedding 'colors' since i didnt have bridesmaids dresses to contend with and my dress had lots of pastel embroidery on the bust and hemline. yes, there are things that i wish had gone differently, but all in all, our wedding showed our personalities and was inexpensively done, but we received tons of compliments on it. enjoy yours and make it YOURS!

Advertisement

farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

I have decided to really go for it with the dress. I found a Vogue pattern I love, and it just needs 5 yards of taffeta and 3 of beaded or lace or something. Possibly only 1 of the beaded, so I could really go all out on that. If I really don't want to keep it, my grandmother would probably be OK with my donating it. The other thing is, the main reason none have been reworn is they're so tiny and mine won't be, there will be plenty to rework.

I love the potluck idea, I think it might be too much hassle for my guests since they're coming from out of state. And if we use the synagogue (this seems likely, for sake of simplicity) I might have to keep it kosher. The synagogue has a beautiful small chapel and a hall downstairs. We were thinking of other venues, like my dad's farm (90 minutes away) but I'll be in school and it's likely to rain... And our home town (Portland Or) is easy to fly into, and the guests might even be able to avoid renting cars because our train system is so good.

I'll probably do flowers from yards, the forsythia and apples will likely be blooming (if not, then lilacs). I also love the other ideas people mentioned. My Dad has a curly maple, a friend used its branches for her wedding so he knows the trick about when to cut them so they keep their curl.

I think 50-75 people? Future DH (chills) doesn't have much living family, but I do.

We're probably using our parents' rings... My parents bands and his mom offered her engagement ring.

I was thinking of skipping attendants too, or just one each. There are a lot of children, and I can come up with something else for them to do. I've also heard of a Jewish wedding processional in which a mass of women accompany the bride, and the men with the groom, but they aren't attendants. It helps that the ceremony and traditions are different.

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks!

Last edited by TrennaII; 03-13-2012 at 04:28 PM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used potted plants as centerpieces and favors combined. Saves you from having to buy a whole bunch of stuff to make centerpieces. We had potted mini daffodils, tulips and what are those called, hydrangea? The ones in bunches? no idea! It was a spring wedding - April 11th and it was beautiful and each couple took home a flower in a pot. If guests leave their pot you can replant the bulbs and you'll have flowers that remind you of your wedding for years to come. here's a pic of the centerpieces at our wedding. simple but nice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10335_609604445902_26107359_35437848_3168091_n.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	98665  
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Annaelise - that is so pretty! If any of my daughters get married in the spring I hope to do bulbs,too.

I got married in a maternity dress in vegas, so I definitely feel like I missed out on a wedding dress (and everything!), but I am encouraging my dds that when they get married to consider getting a special,beautiful dress, but maybe one they could possibly re-wear, possibly something they could wear special each year on their anniversary to go out. In our church some girls wear traditional gowns, some dont & our church prefers girls not wear white (though many do). My 21 yr old does not plan to wear white & seems to agree on something more usable for future use.
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
photocat
Registered Users

Ours was unintentionally minimalist, neither my dh nor I enjoy the spotlight and we were busy paying off our house and I was studying, so we were trying to keep costs down too.

We booked a winery so they did food and simple flowers on the tables, my MIL made my dress, we didn't have attendants but asked all the young kids if they'd walk down with us. The ceremony was short and sweet, it was outside, the weather was gorgeous, simple music, local wines, no formal dancing,...it was an 11 o'clock wedding, I wasn't even going to have a cake, but a friend offered to make one and wow, it was a 3 tier job, beautiful.

I did pay up for a decent photographer though, I knew him (I'd worked with him) and liked his style, it suited me perfectly. That would be my advice, don't stint on the photographer.

Oh, and congratulations!!

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #16
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the table decor, we used cakes as centerpieces with origami crane "confetti" in between. The cakes were very simple, just 2 or 3-layers, a handful of different kinds frosted in an assortment of colors. The point being to encourage guests to interact with one another while they searched out the kind they wanted to eat. The crane mates for life, so I thought it a fitting symbol and I bought a giant bag of them for about $20 on ebay. They were so tiny, like 1 inch across.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the table decor, we used cakes as centerpieces with origami crane "confetti" in between. The cakes were very simple, just 2 or 3-layers, a handful of different kinds frosted in an assortment of colors. The point being to encourage guests to interact with one another while they searched out the kind they wanted to eat. The crane mates for life, so I thought it a fitting symbol and I bought a giant bag of them for about $20 on ebay. They were so tiny, like 1 inch across.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller