Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:
Re: I did not want to spend my next pregnancy terrified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I am overseas, doulas are not common here, I only found 2 doula in all of germany on the german website

Midwives are the norm here. My last midwife was satan incarant
When you say midwives are the norm, do you mean lay midwives or CNMs who work in the hospital? Do you have a friend who has a strong personality who could be a labor partner and advocate for you this time around? Having a doula saved me from a repeat c-section.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #12
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I have a great obgyn but the obgyns do not deliver your babies like the doctors in the us. You get whoever is on duty at the time of birth.

I know you can hire private midwives for home births, but I cannot have a home birth, and I have to research of the hospitals will let you bring in your own midwife, you may be limited to only choosing from the ones they have on hand.

My last hospital would not even let me mom stay they said I could only have 1 person and made me choose between my mom and dh.

Each place has its own policies and procedures. But I will not be able to use the obgyn who does all my prenatal care.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
When you say midwives are the norm, do you mean lay midwives or CNMs who work in the hospital? Do you have a friend who has a strong personality who could be a labor partner and advocate for you this time around? Having a doula saved me from a repeat c-section.
They train midwives here to handle all traditional births, I am not sure if vbac would fall under a medical birth, but in such a case if it did you get who ever is on duty at the clinic.

Your own dr does not come like in the us. I had a birth plan last time and they told me births cannot be planned.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow. That seems counter productive. It seems like they almost set you up for failure!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #15
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Germans are not very emotionally touch feely. More cold, get er done, if you are not done in 12 hours lets get this show on the road so I can be home for my evening sandwich.

Last time they said they would induce me if I) did not go into natural labor early enough so that I would not be having a baby during the holidays.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #16
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
They train midwives here to handle all traditional births, I am not sure if vbac would fall under a medical birth, but in such a case if it did you get who ever is on duty at the clinic.

Your own dr does not come like in the us. I had a birth plan last time and they told me births cannot be planned.
oh my goodness, I have no advice then . Wow, things are sooo different there. So you probably couldn't even have a doula in there. Can you have more than one person in there leading up to the birth? Maybe having an extra support person would be helpful in that case. Why couldn't you have a midwive at home? Is it because you had a c-section the first time around or are you too afraid to attempt a homebirth (which I would completely understand, just curious).

Education is probably your best preparation at this point. If you can't control which doctor will be with you and you can't even make a birth plan then at least arm yourself with enough knowledge that you can feel a little more in control. Having little knowledge about a situation is only going to keep you fearful about the situation. Maybe there are other moms in your area that you could talk to? Or just keep coming on here and we will all help the best we can to ease your mind. Try not to stress too much, you need to stay healthy, both physically and emotionally for you and the baby.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awww, that's quaint.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #18
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Germans are not very emotionally touch feely. More cold, get er done, if you are not done in 12 hours lets get this show on the road so I can be home for my evening sandwich.

Last time they said they would induce me if I) did not go into natural labor early enough so that I would not be having a baby during the holidays.
So, do you not have a choice in the matter? Can't you refuse? Inductions for a VBAC do increase the chance for uterine abruption, so that does not seem very safe to me. (Although I was induced with pit during my first vbac and I was fine). That just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather take my chances at home!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
DalesWidda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Serena, I'm going to bed, but try not to worry. You've got awhile to figure it all out and we're all here to listen. Hugs to you!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #20
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

The hospital orgionally said in the labor room my mom and dh could stay and they could take turns in the delievry room. But when we got there they sent her home.

It seemed like they said whatever people wanted to hear to choose the clinic.

I also asked about inductions when I did a tour and how prevanlent they were in that clinic the answer was only when medically needed. Y>et I know only a handleful of women who are not induced. And horror stories are a common trend on expat forums for people living here.

I am in a different city now so the clinics here may be a 180 from the last, but that experience is so deeply embedded that I am just living day to day in extreme fear.