Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
Mommy2Gav
Registered Users
seller

Re: WWYD? (teen sex/pregnancy)

So last week she "accidentally" took too much Adderall. K recognized this as another possible suicide attempt and brought her to a mental health facility for a week. So we are making some progress.

Advertisement

ISO: Nook. Will trade goodmamas.
Mommy2Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Gav View Post
So last week she "accidentally" took too much Adderall. K recognized this as another possible suicide attempt and brought her to a mental health facility for a week. So we are making some progress.
are you sure she wasn't trying to get high off of it?
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This girl is reaching out for help and it sounds like her mom either does not know how to help or does not care to help her. Any parent who knows their teen is sexually active and approves of it,but does not provide or at least give their teen resources to get protection is doing a great diservice to that teen.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #34
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Unless M was in an abusive household, I would have told K. I likely would have made M aware that I was telling K and given her the option of sitting down together and telling her mom. That's how I would handle it with my 13yo sister, for whom I am the go-to adult.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Gav
Oh, man ((HUGS)). I hope you and the therapists find a way to get through to her.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #36
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

It sounds like she has a lot going on at home & this test is the tip of the iceberg. I really hope her week away is helpful for both her & her mom. It sounds like the mom needs a big wake up call.

Parenting teens is so much work (toddlers are a piece of cake compared to teens) & so many parents figure "oh they're older now so I can leave them to do more on their own with out me" but it's so not like that. Now is the time you especially need to be home after school (or any adult in charge) & on Friday night. The part of the brain that controls decision making & reasoning doesn't fully develop until the early 20's. This explains a lot of why they do what they do. Teens are not fully equipped for major decision making. I know first hand (I am a grandmother at 36!) that you can go all out & your teen will still make decisions you aren't wild about but it's better to have tried your hardest & had things derail than just wash your hands of the situation. It sounds like the mom here has been doing more washing hands & maybe this will help her see the light. Hugs to you all.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #37
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You should have told her mom if there was a pregnancy scare. I would have thought the child would have realized that she isn't ready to be having sex yet if she continues to have pregnancy scares. That is great that she can talk to you and be open to you. Have you talked to her about what would happen if she does get pregnant. If she would give the baby up for adoption or raise it herself? Have you talked to her about how much raising a baby/child costs and how much time it takes to take care of them? If she is more open to talk to you then you need to talk to her about the consequences of having sex at such a young age.