Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Chicken talk :)

bumping this back up!
I haven't seen enough coops/runs or tractors yet ladies. Show me what you got! I'd love to see what things you've come up with to house your chickens or let them out to play in.

Thanks to the posts and pics I have gotten so far!

Advertisement

Last edited by roseyroberts; 04-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
TyAndCheyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken talk :)

We have lots of chickens. I think right now I have about 100 laying hens and have 60 chicks (all pullets).

One thing you need to make sure of is "crowd control" if you are having quite a few. I found out the hard way that it is better to raise them all together than it is to buy older chickens from a bunch of different sources.
I buy chicks in March and they start laying in August.

One thing I never thought about was where to keep the chicks before they are big enough to go outside. Last year I had them in a back room of the house with heat lamps (used an old metal water trough). I got really tired of the smell very quickly.
This year I put them on my enclosed front porch. I now don't have to worry about smell, but they can still stay warm.

I didn't purchase a bunch of new stuff to set everything up- I actually re purposed a lot of things. Here are some pics to show what I have.

Outside view of coop:

Inside coop:

Chicken yard

This years chick set up:
TyAndCheyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Looks like a very nice set up. I think we will start small. Maybe around 6 or so. i don't think I will be in my house until may or so. Is that so late in the season that they may not lay untill next spring?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Op if I remember correctly we are located quite close to each other! I bought started birds (almost laying) from a place in Terrell. She had 16 breeds all of which have been chosen to do well in our climate. I only wanted a few or I think I would have come home with one of each! I ended up with a buff Brahama, an Ameruacana, a Red New Hampshire (my fav), and a Blue Laced Red Wyndotte (or is it Red Laced Blue?). I can pass along her info if you like. As for the laying, if they are old enough they should lay through summer with no prob. From what I understand if they mature during winter they may delay laying until spring.

Last edited by newtwinmom; 03-09-2012 at 05:11 PM.
newtwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

My younger chickens matured during the winter, and they didn't start laying until last week when the daylight was long enough. They generally don't start laying until they around around 20-22 weeks old, give or take a couple weeks.

I have 4 different groups, each that I got at different times. They all free range together peacefully. I got them all young, but I only got one group as day old chicks. The rest were all a few weeks old or so by the time I got them. I have 21 chickens total. I had no idea about chickens before I got my first ones either, but they are actually really easy to take care of. The forum at www.backyardchickens.com has helped a TON! They are very helpful.

I have all of the breeds you mentioned except RIRs. It got very hot here last summer, and as long as I kept their water cool and they had plenty of places to get out of the sun, they all did fine.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwinmom View Post
Op if I remember correctly we are located quite close to each other! I bought started birds (almost laying) from a place in Terrell. She had 16 breeds all of which have been chosen to do well in our climate. I only wanted a few or I think I would have come home with one of each! I ended up with a buff Brahama, an Ameruacana, a Red New Hampshire (my fav), and a Blue Laced Red Wyndotte (or is it Red Laced Blue?). I can pass along her info if you like. As for the laying, if they are old enough they should lay through summer with no prob. From what I understand if they mature during winter they may delay laying until spring.
Terrel is about an 1.5 hours from me....i would very much like to get her info.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady View Post
My younger chickens matured during the winter, and they didn't start laying until last week when the daylight was long enough. They generally don't start laying until they around around 20-22 weeks old, give or take a couple weeks.

I have 4 different groups, each that I got at different times. They all free range together peacefully. I got them all young, but I only got one group as day old chicks. The rest were all a few weeks old or so by the time I got them. I have 21 chickens total. I had no idea about chickens before I got my first ones either, but they are actually really easy to take care of. The forum at www.backyardchickens.com has helped a TON! They are very helpful.

I have all of the breeds you mentioned except RIRs. It got very hot here last summer, and as long as I kept their water cool and they had plenty of places to get out of the sun, they all did fine.
I have spent hours reading on backyardchickens.com
Oh, and i love your chicken pics in your thread! Those pics made me for sure decide that i wanted some ameraucana and speckled sussex.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'll see if i can get pics of our girls this afternoon. we have a small coop set up off the backside of our barn for our 9 laying hens. it's big enough for 20 and we'll be adding 8 new girls this summer to the mix. i have a shed that's not in use that will be converted over in the next few weeks to house our meat birds. it will have a large run area off the back so they have free range ability and grass/shade area. we have rhode island reds, white rocks and barred rocks right now and are getting buff orphingtons to add to the layers. we have a cornish xrocks coming for meat birds and they will be butchered at 9weeks of age.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

We have 11 hens and are adding 5 more. They are all different kinds, we order from Ideal Poultry so we can get a wide variety. Also something we do to save on the cost is we will order 5 chicks to every 1 that we want to keep, they usally cost 3 dollers and we will sell the extras on craigslist for 5 dollers. When you do that it covers the cost of your chicks and the cost of shipping. Also chickens take a lot of time to take care of so we set up a automatic water bowl from little giant so you don't have to refill all the time just set it up and it waters forever. Also chicken feed attracts a lot of mice, rats, and wild birds which eat and waste a lot of food so we made a chicken treadle that holds 90lbs of food which for 11 birds that means DH only feeds them once every other month. They are a lot more fun we there not a such a burden! They need lots of shade in the Summer time.

Here are some links:
http://www.miller-mfg.com/page/1/Product-Detail.jsp?groupId=616&prodId=69177
chicken waterer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7xHc210sSQ
feeder
https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/categories2.aspx?Category=Standard%20Poultry
Ideal Poultry

HTH!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts View Post
Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Looks like a very nice set up. I think we will start small. Maybe around 6 or so. i don't think I will be in my house until may or so. Is that so late in the season that they may not lay untill next spring?
This depends on where you live. Ours lay all Winter (in Southern AZ), just less. So instead of getting 6-7 eggs a week per hen we get 4-5 a week.