Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #111
Hellga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Re: the antibiotics, no prescription...bought them online from medsmex.com, a mexican pharmacy that will ship non-controlled-substance prescriptions from mexico to the us for a decent price. I paid like $3.50 per course of ampicillin!

Re: the dryer lint and needles, I think regular pine needles would work, but the thicker the better! Ours are from a fraser fir and they are REALLY combustible!

Advertisement

Slowly but surely making money with Swagbucks!
Hellga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #112
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellga View Post
Re: the antibiotics, no prescription...bought them online from medsmex.com, a mexican pharmacy that will ship non-controlled-substance prescriptions from mexico to the us for a decent price. I paid like $3.50 per course of ampicillin!

Re: the dryer lint and needles, I think regular pine needles would work, but the thicker the better! Ours are from a fraser fir and they are REALLY combustible!

good to know! Thank you
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #113
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I put dryer lint inside egg cartons and cover them in wax..like little eggs works wonderfully
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #114
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

You're a woman after my own heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami View Post
I was just wondering if I was the only weirdo woman into disaster preparedness??? I figure homesteading is about being self reliant, and kinda goes in hand with being prepared for whatever may happen. I have been trying lately to built my emergency stock of items, and am dedicating $20/payday to stockpile certain foods. I have 2 small 6'x10' garden plots in my backyard which isnt much but I am trying to learn to successfully garden. Its super hot here and I'm still learning what to plant when, hopefully I get to a point where I can not buy certain things at the grocery store anymore. I can jams/jellies, tomatoes, and pickle certain veggies, make cold process soap. I have a slingshot with metal balls, a longbow (hubby got me last Christmas) and for now just target practicing in hopes of one day hunting. I try to make things from scratch and use only basic & multipurpose things around the house so I can stockpile only those items (baking soda, vinegar, castile soap, etc). We live in a subdivision so cant have livestock but I would love to have a few chickens, ducks, and maybe a goat or 2 for milk. And a mini fruit orchard! Hubby isnt on board with this, he doesnt complain much but he doesnt understand my need to be prepared. He feels having a big saving account is being prepared. I feel when crap hits the fan, that money is gonna be good for wiping butts But even for small things like power failures, or say the stove dies on us, I want to know I can take care of my family without those things.

So am I the only one that has clothes hanging in the top half of her closet and cases of dehydrated/freeze dried food in the bottom???
Old 06-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #115
ASchultheiss84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami
So am I the only one that has clothes hanging in the top half of her closet and cases of dehydrated/freeze dried food in the bottom???
Ummm....noooo.... I flat out cleared our closet out and put our clothes in drawers, then turned our master closet into our stockroom!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #116
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies! I have been out of the loop so sorry! Hubbies schedule is CRAZY, kids home for summer vacation, and I am personally trying to get myself back in shape and eating healthy so I can lose this baby weight...enuf said

So I kinda have to figure out my bug out bag a bit better. I have winter clothes in it, and while I dont mind jeans for year round wear, I am looking for an alternative for tops. Right now I have 2 longsleeve wicking material (polyester?) shirt which I have read are better for survival type situations. They both insulate and evaporate which is pretty cool. I would like shortsleeve shirts like this as well so keeping an eye out for that. I also bought my cookware, nesting stainless steel pots w/lid, big enough to cook for all of us but small enough to carry. I still have room for stuff, and I think I will use it to store freeze dried meals. While I have plenty in closet, I dont have anything meal-wise to put in bag. Those are the only 2 things working my nerve right now lol.

My 1 month pantry stockpile is falling to the wayside big time. I could go about 2 weeks without going to store, honestly I could probably go a month, but some things are low like pasta. I can make pasta by hand and have the rolling machine to cut it so wouldnt be an issue. I think I have unconciously decided to stockpile ramen noodles lol. We dont eat them often but they are so darn versatile, and easy to carry/cook.

Garden was doing pretty great til that tropical storm just about killed everything. I was averaging 1lb+ green beans a week, had radishes, corn, peas too. Right now I am down to cucumbers and the tomato & pepper plants are growing well. A big improvement from my garden last year thats for sure.

Dunno, I feel like I'm going in too many directions. My 5 mth old is teething and grupmy most of the time, on top of what I mentioned in beginning of post, sons bday party coming up, my bday next month, always something! And I like to christmas shop early...its all piling on too high for me. I'm happy that I'm more prepared than anyone else I know IRL, but I'm not where I want to be. Ok this is turning into a minivent lol. Keep up the good work, it motivates me to hear what everyone else is accomplishing.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #117
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm running an experiment with the clay soil from my garden. I looked up how to screen it etc to make into clay that you can make pottery with. Mostly because I find spending money on things I can get for free with a little hard work pointless, but also because I need planters unique in shape and size, we're turning some shelves in the basement into an indoor grow area with grow lights, and I need them for that.

So I scooped up some soil put it in a bucket and fille dit with water, stired it with a big stick and broke up clumps by hand untill it was a thin sludge, screened out all the gras, twigs etc and let it sit for a couple hours to let any sand settle to the bottom and re-screened it. Then I let it sit overnight for the clay to settle and then dumped out as much of the mostly clear water on top. Next I put it into an old pillow case to leech out some more of the water, but it was raining, still did an ok job.

Today I put a large sement block on it to help squeeze out some more of the water. Tomorrow I'll form it into a brick and let it dry a little more before testing it again for plasticity. I'm pretty sure it will be fine. My inital roll of the soil BEFORE screening had it pliable enough to be passible. I got some sand out of it so it should be good to go. IN a couple days I'll make the planters and let them dry for a couple weeks inside and then in the sun. Next bonfire we have I'll fire them in the pit. If all goes well I'll sift out a lot more clay this fall and make earthen ware thru the winter and fire it in the spring, hopefully replace all the cracking platic ware DH buys since it's 'cheap'
Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #118
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh and two fairly expensive things that are weighing on my mind that I'd REALY like to get before winter are a hand punp for our well. I need to see if we need a deep water one or a regular one. The other is a generator. I'd rather have woodstoves, but there is no way to put in a chimeny yet. This house design is a little complicated and to be safe we'd need a contractor to do it, so not this year. Nest summer though we are hoping to take out our propane fireplace and replace it with a wood fireplace. I'd like to take out the coat closet and put in a chimeny that goes thru the 2nd floor of the house too (it'd go thru the playroom, the centeral room upstairs) and put in a wood cookstove on the main floor and a regular wood stove upstairs in the playroom (probably a trailer approved since they do not get hot to the touch as well as a saftey fence).

Getting a pressure canner this week and have #25 lbs of organic black beans to can. Next year I will plant some of them (Grew marafax beans like crazy at my mom's last year, she planted half a feild of them this year hoping to sell some since they go for nearly $8/lb around here, I'll trade her fruit as it looks like I'm going to have berries galore for the beans).

Next crazy project, teaching myself how to weave a basket... Gotta love youtube! My friend learned to knit watching youtube videos and she taught me, so I figure I can learn to basket weave via youtube.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #119
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can I bump this thread up cause it has a ton of good info
-::- ((.* the buzz is all about.... check out my facebook http://facebook.com/romancepartiesbypaula2
peverroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #120
ASchultheiss84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peverroad View Post
Can I bump this thread up cause it has a ton of good info
I'll even add a pic!

ForumRunner_20131104_064839.jpg