Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueOwls View Post
I'm very sorry that happened to you. But to be fair you didn't say all that you just put it into the middle of your post making you sound really ,well,racist.
She did say her property was near a coyote trail, right before she said she has had problems. Coyote trail = Mexicans as in people who are from Mexico. Its about as derogatory as someone calling me American. It just hit me- do you know what the term coyote is used in this context? Coyotes are people who smuggle in illegal immigrants and have a reputation for being dangerous (the coyotes not the immigrates).

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly our garage has one car that isnt in drivable condition, but the rest of it is available. Its a disorganized MESS right now, but I plan to take a month & work specifically on that area. I want to maybe get more shelf space in it and utilize it to the fullest. We live in south GA, and it gets insanely hot here, so I try to keep most of the food in the house where it is more climate controlled, not to mention we get big nasty roaches so I dont feel comfortable putting food out there. But I guess if its canned/sealed properly it should be ok, and if I keep it closer to the house it doesnt seem to get that hot so maybe I can figure something out. I could get an outdoor shed for alot of the tools in the garage to open up more space, I also need to get a tool chest cause I swear everything is everywhere. I think I'm going to have to start relooking at all the spaces I have in the house and think what & where can I put things so I have enough for us without it looking rediculous or distracting.

I just spoke to my dad who is glad I'm getting more prepared, but suggested I get a handgun as well as a shotgun. He feels its necessary in a survival situation where everyone will be out to take what we have worked so hard to build. Good for hunting too, plenty of deer, wild pigs, rabbits, etc around here. We also spoke about the possibility of going in on some land together. He has been dreaming about retiring in Texas on a nice chunk of land, but I said thats too far if we had to bug out on foot would take forever to get there, and with 3 kids I'd lose my mind 1/4 way there lol. So I mentioned maybe north GA at the foot of the mountains, or SC or somewhere closer, but still in the vicinity of the mountains (like in the Walking Dead ), and he could live there, take care of the land and enjoy his retirement but it would also be a place for all of us. We would go in on it together, and he was really into that idea so we are looking into it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
wetback. I heard it in the fields a lot It's more of an "ethnic slur" but I would never use that word. I thought it was a common word but I guess it isn't haha.
I was born in Texas, but I have heard it used all over- generally where you have large migrant worker populations. You hear it a lot in areas like that.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #24
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMami View Post
But I guess if its canned/sealed properly it should be ok, and if I keep it closer to the house it doesnt seem to get that hot so maybe I can figure something out.

I just spoke to my dad who is glad I'm getting more prepared, but suggested I get a handgun as well as a shotgun. He feels its necessary in a survival situation where everyone will be out to take what we have worked so hard to build. Good for hunting too, plenty of deer, wild pigs, rabbits, etc around here.
It will keep longer in cooler temps, but if your using/replacing your stock pile it will be ok. Do they call your roaches Palmetto Bugs or is that just Charleston that dress to fancify their roaches?

I have always been pretty anti-gun, but dh talked me into a couple of guns with the security and hunting arguments. He's right, but I still don't really like it. We have bows and arrows and knifes as well. I really want to learn to throw knives- just because I think its cool.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, palmetto bugs fancy name for nasty bugs lol. I keep telling my kids we may have to eat roach kabobs one day so I dont poison them as long as they stay out of the house they get to live lol.

I have a longbow, I need to get hunting tips for my arrows, we have our ka-bar knives, I have a slingshot which I thought would be good for small game (squirrel, birds, etc) no point in wasting ammo. I may get each of the kids one for simple hunting & maybe self defense if they ever needed it. Also maybe a pocket knife for them, I dont want to leave them entirely defensless & would be nice if they could contribute somehow (hey mom got a few squirrels for dinner!). I also have a Gerber Gator Jr machete, would like to get this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 since has so many functions. As for the guns, I told my hubby that is his job and will be his contribution to my "cause" lol. If he doesnt get it done by a certain time I'll do it myself. My father said shotguns are not that expensive, and I still have plenty of my tax return to be able to get one on my own as well as a ton of ammo. Thing is I gotta find somewhere to practice shooting, sad I grew up around guns and never wanted anything to do with them. I regret it now, but I am thinking next time I visit my mom in Orlando I will have her take me to the gun range she goes to. The have classes and can get licensed to carry which would be great. No point in having a gun if I dont know how to use it or what its gonna feel like when I shoot. Hubby is pretty good with knots (stinking Sailor ) so I told him to teach me some basic ones, that could be useful in many situations.

I am trying to get our bug out gear done first hopefully by the end of the month, then work on stockpiling everything else.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 3...technically one is only 14 months old. LOL. We have enough guns for 25 per person. which is admit ably ridiculous. But My SO likes collecting WW2 riffles so I let him. If it were up to me each of us would have 1 shot gun, 1 rifle, 1 hand gun magazine fed and 1 revolver. The guns are kept in their own room that is locked and has an alarm on it. The ammunition is in the same room and none are kept loaded. Both of us also conceal carry. We go to safety courses (highly recommended . I am taking my first hunting trip in Arizona in the next few months. I got my doe license for moose..actually i think they are called heifers but not 100% on that. I am OVERLY excited about that. A group of us are going. Some of us have does and some of us have bucks so we should get a good mix.

I put some type of insulation on my garage door and it helped IMMENSELY and it still opens and closes as well. but I do make sure to keep the stuff (like food) closer to my house. I will say though it helps that its organized. LOL. If it wasn't organized it so would not work. Also, the right half of my garage is HBA the left half is food.

Also if you need food grade buckets you can go to your grocery stores and ask the bakery people for that! That's how I get mine. A lot of my food I store in mylar bags with 02 absorbers and then put them in the buckets.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I have been buying food grade buckets without thinking I could get them free if I go to the grocery stores around town and ask for theirs! Would save me money that I could put towards food stockpile!

We actually have hunting on our base here, seasonally for deer, year round for wild pigs as they are very abundant and actually destructive to the natural environment cause there are so many. Otherwise there is plenty of forrest a few hundred feet from my house that I hear is full of rabbits, and lots of ponds with fish, as well as our river downtown that has fish & crabs (brackish waters).

We have a gun shop in town, and a pawn shop that sells guns so I will have to go with my hubby one day and check both out. My mom loves her revolver, but it makes me nervous to be limited to 6 bullets and have to reload. My dad recommended Mossberg for shotgun cause it is pump action, holds at 6 rounds, and has less of a "kick" than most shotguns. Last thing I want is to be blasted on my butt trying to fire something, hence the need to find a range to take courses & practice.

What is your advice for kids? I have an 8yo daughter, 5yo son, and 2 1/2mth old but for the older 2, I want to start explaining things to them without panicking them. My oldest is a worry-wart, if there is a tornado watch she automatically assumes one is headed straight for our house. But I dont want to just spring this on them & have them panic when I need them to be calm and listen to instructions. And do you think it is right to have things like slingshots & small 2-3" knives that they can use (I would show them how to use & that it is not a toy, etc)? WWYD?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #28
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

well by 5 I was already shooting a BB gun LOL(with supervision obviously) maybe start them on one of those? Or Archery? My niece started when she was like 7 or so..shes 14 now and does state competitions. I know there are TONS of summer events for "outdoors" type stuff. I think the sling shots are a GREAT idea (as long as they have instructions on how/when to use them and supervision)I think a slingshot would be VERY useful in a SHTF situation because of it's stealth. I now the NRA use to run a course during the summer on knives and how to properly use them. It was for children ages like 10 and under? or something like that. Might be worth looking into=) It was free. For knives though it REALLY depends on the kid and their maturity level.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #29
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is only 4 (and ds 18 months). I do think we will get her a sling shot and a bow, but that's it at this point. She has been getting little lessons in gun safety from us when she sees shooting. She has yet to ask about our stuff or why we buy lots of things. But then we rotate and use our food stockpile so she might just think its there so we don't have to run to the store. We have mentioned when she sees stuff about storms that storms are one of the reasons why we keep all that stuff in the basement. We're not in a heavy tornado area, but we do get warnings and she has seen us set up camp chairs in the basement.

I am a bit of an optimist. I know doesn't quite fit with disaster preparedness. Prepare for the worst, but expect the best. I think the best approach is to keep it light. I am not sure how well it will help her protect herself, but I don't want to rob her of her innocence either. We have never said our guns are to protect us, but she knows the guns can be used for hunting. She knows someone has to kill the meat she eats. you should see the look on peoples faces when dd asks in the store who killed the pig to make bacon. Let your dd know that your are preparing just in case. That you may never need the stuff, but if you do- you'll have it. She is already aware of storms and such so use that. Tell her you have your stuff to keep them safe and fed if a storm was ever to hit you. It probably will never happen, but if it does then you guys will be ok because you prepared for it. It might actually ease her anxiety to participate in preparing. I know in just about everything I had anxiety about if I prepared for it, then I was felt more confident. Much better then hiding and trying to ignore. You can teach her sling shots and bows for fun- its doesn't have to be about survival just something that is fun to do So she gets her practice and prepares without even thinking about bad times she might need to use those skills. I remember loving bow practice (my parents weren't preppers- we lived on a farm and they thought it would be fun for me. A lot of people bow hunted in the area). I think it helps our dd to know where food comes from. She plants seeds, picks foods and watches us can. She knows we do this so we don't have to buy it from the store. She knows that she CAN grow food, that she doesn't need someone else too. She doesn't know the importance of that now, but as she gets older she will. I guess we approach most things like hobbies. In May when we go camping (and by camping we are not really- we'll be staying in a cabin) we are going to take our bug out bags for the first time and go hiking. She'll have a pack just because she'll want to be like us. To us its a training exercise- how long can we actually carry our packs at this point- for her it will be a nature hike where she will watch us use items from the packs to make us more comfortable. She is learning, but not about the bad stuff.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good tips & ideas jbug4! I think you are right, I will approach it from a more fun angle to begin with, start with slingshots, work up to bows, and I think I will buy them classic swiss army knives. I had one when I was young and I loved it, so many tools & uses, easy to carry. I'm beginning to kinda "wind down" as it were and try to focus on one thing at a time. I was kinda in a frenzy, thinking of all the things I want/need to do and wondering how I will get it all done. Ideally I want our bug out bags done by end of this month, food/house prep by end of the year. If my dad & I find a modest plot of land nearby that is affordable we can do that, but for now I am just gonna focus on our BOBs.

I also plan on putting the kids in karate over summer vacation, so they can learn basic self defense at the very least. At home I will teach them slingshot use, and I will also start teaching my daughter basic things like cooking simple foods (eggs, rice, flatbread etc), planting a garden, basically laying the foundation to build upon. I'll have my son watch us and participate when I think its safe, I know growing up I didnt cook but I watched alot and while my mom thought I'd be useless in the kitchen I proved her very wrong.

Whew, having a plan is nice