Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #31
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

Oh yeah make is apart of her every day life and she will think it's normal and not worry about it. I grew up with prepping. I lived in Florida and we got a TON of hurricanes where I lived. I was also a worry wart. But I worried LESS knowing that we wouldn't starve to deal Like jbug said i would just explain to her it's for when/if the storms hit you are prepared

Advertisement

Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #32
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Does anyone else get interested in old, working non-electric tools? I used to have a few "antique" tools gathered up, they're long gone now, but I can start again. Seems like it'd be important to have a way to do things without our electric drills and such.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #33
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes! I have tons of tools that are non electric..of course I dread the day I have to use them LOL. But I always keep them as back up
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #34
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, we've been stocking up on non-electric tools. Yard, workshop and household. As well as campfire cookware.

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #35
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thats a good idea, non electric tools! I have a basic gardening tools, full sized shovel, hoe, I keep telling hubby to get a push lawnmower, I grew up with one for a few years as a teen, good workout, no need for anything except well kept blades. We have handtools like screwdivers, hand saw, car tools. I should invest in a washboard and tub for laundry/dish washing. I also have a hand grinder for grains & oat flaker to make oatmeal.

What other tools would you consider necessary?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #36
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is in to wood work so his list of tools is insane. Basically anything you use on a regular basis and would need to use on a regular basis without power you should find a non-electric version of or alternative. And if you don't have them some cast iron cookware- regular cast iron because it can be used over open flame without damage or being toxic. We have an old fashioned iron. Like a clothes iron made from iron. It can be used to reseal mylar storage bags. We're not likely to use it as a clothes iron unless I suddenly take up sewing, but we can use it to reseal our food. DH wants me to get a old foot pump sewing machine, but seeing how well I do on my nice new with all the bells and whistles electric one not sure that one is going to work out so well. It may take me longer but I am a much better seamstress with plain old needle and thread.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #37
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always wanted to learn woodworking, think it woul be neat to build my own furniture. Hubby said its an expensive hobby so kinda put me off but maybe i could just do basic things with basic tools. Better to practice now & know what I am doing than need to build or fix something later and end up hurting myself or someone else. I also want to learn more about caring for cars, I grew up helping my dad work on cars, but I never really did any of that myself. Things like oil changes, tires, breaks, etc would be good to start with.

I have lots of cast iron, my fave stuff to cook with! I have everything I use on a regular basis in cast iron except a bread loaf pan but if it got to that point I'd probably stick to flatbread & quickbreads in terms of baking, easier and quicker to make. I just ordered an all cast iron hibachi style grill made by Lodge, going to set it up outside on patio and learn how to cook on it like a woodstove. If I didnt have arthritis I'd use cast iron to cook everything, but the bigger pots are too heavy for every day so I keep a stainless steel set for the bigger pots. Course I'm not a wimpy woman but figure I'd preserve my joints as long as possible by not overusing them every day lifting cookware lol. I also have a 2 burner coleman propane stovetop and only small tanks for propane, we dont use propane much our bbq grill is charcoal/wood burning so not sure if wise to invest in large one just to stash for stove? Is that safe to store & does it keep long?

Ok Im off to sleep, baby was up late last night with tummy issues so mama is extra sleepy today.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #38
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a doomsday prepper but growing up in Maine you cannot help but be some sort of prepper. alot of time in the winter the power would go out (it's been pretty good the last few years though) and in 98 we had an icestorm that knocked out power for 2 weeks). So while DH has always thought me crazy, I always have about 3 months of food on hand (Sacks of flour, rice, sugar, canned goods etc, a few gallons of water, water isn't an issue for us, we have a freshwater stream on our property and can boil it if ness.) I have a few lanterns and when we married DH said I had more candles than anyone ever should have and none were scented. I esplined the ice storm to him and how I want my house to be prepped. Luckily he's a good sport about it.

Things HE'S added, fire extinguiser in the kitchen and every vehicle, jumper cables in every vehicle and a med kit in every vehickle and house, I went a little extrme with my med kit and he's fine with that and wants me to build him one too. (When we met I was finishing up EMT school, so I have a WELL stocked med kit )

This summer we should be getting a hand pump for our well (we just bought this place in Nov.) it has a nice chicken coop that I plan on filling and have a garden already set up just waiting to plant. It's not very big (yet, DH doesn't want me taking over the whole yard for gardening, so his chore is to start clearing some of these 9 acres for me.) I'll veritcle garden as much as possible and will can or what not.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the fact we do not have a woodstove or even a chimney to support a wood stove inthe house. Dh says that's what generators are for, me not so much. We have a pellet stove in the basement that DH is going to hook a batterbackup on, and we have propane for everythign else (cooking, ho****er, boiler heat etc.) so we'll be able to cook, but without electricity the boiler will not work. We have a propane fireplace in the living room, but propane will only last so long and it's hard to heat a 2,800 sq ft home with a propane fireplace. I'd like to convert the coat closet into a chimney that goes up thru the playroom upstairs and hook up a wood stove in the playroom and downstairs (cetral points in both the downstairs and upstairs). But that will be years before I can get DH on board with that because it will be costly. Before anything like that he'd like to reduce our debt, build a garage and clear land. Well see though, I can be persuasive if I need to

Oh and we have a 270 rifle for hunting, I grew up a hunter so that's a skill I already have. DH wants to get our bow safety done and get bows (we can't use a riffle on our land becuase of the rails for trails system), our property on the other side of the triail is open for turkey, the side the house is on (and the majority of the land) is a different zone and is not currently open for turkey, so he wants a bow to turkey hunt I guess :shrug:
Old 03-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #39
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
DS is in to wood work so his list of tools is insane. Basically anything you use on a regular basis and would need to use on a regular basis without power you should find a non-electric version of or alternative. And if you don't have them some cast iron cookware- regular cast iron because it can be used over open flame without damage or being toxic. We have an old fashioned iron. Like a clothes iron made from iron. It can be used to reseal mylar storage bags. We're not likely to use it as a clothes iron unless I suddenly take up sewing, but we can use it to reseal our food. DH wants me to get a old foot pump sewing machine, but seeing how well I do on my nice new with all the bells and whistles electric one not sure that one is going to work out so well. It may take me longer but I am a much better seamstress with plain old needle and thread.
It's VERY easy to convert any non computer sewing machine to a treadle (I googled it and told Dh to google it since he'd know what to do better than me) It's super easy. i could convert 2 of my 3 'regular' sewing machines and my serger to treadle in just a few minutes (once DH has built the actual treadle, which is easy but will take a few hours).
Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #40
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

Me, too!

So far we have a 3 month supply of food, a one month supply of water, 72 hour kits and...wow, that is pretty much it. I have a long way to go and so much still to learn. Keep chatting ladies - you have great ideas.
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote