Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #41
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does this forum include disaster preparedness?

DH just brought home 2 275 gallon bins. Not really sure what to call them, but they are food grade. One is going to be a rain barrel for the garden, the other is going in the basement for our water. I told him we needed to step up our water- we had some but it leaked everywhere. He said he was bringing some barrels home over the weekend. I thought the blue water barrels- I was not expecting a bin that would fit a months worth of house water for 4 people (at 2 gallons a day per person) and another garden bin. I about had a stroke when he pulled up with those 2 bins. The guy he got them from is going to have one more and is going to give it to us too.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-22-2012 at 04:36 AM.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #42
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thats awesome! I'd pass out from joy if my hubby brought home something like that. But he's really not on board with any of what I'm doing sooo...all I have are 2 heavy duty rubbermaid trash cans in back, rigged to collect rain water from the storm drains on the screened porch. Each holds about 35 gallons so if both were full would be at least a weeks worth of water for us but for now they hold garden water. I'm thinking of buying 2 or more cans just to keep in garage so if we had to we could place them all strategically around the house to fill with rain water.

I'm also thinking about buying some land about 40min north of where I currently live. Spoke to my parents we may all go in together; again my hubby wants nothing to do with it. There are 2 lots, one is 13.25 acres for $20k, and the other is 6.59 acres for $9885. Most likely we would go for the second as its more affordable but a girl can dream of 13 acres My mom and I already have half the amount of the 6 acre plot, if I could find time to get out there & check it out maybe during spring break this could be a reality.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #43
blessed1018
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are starting to get into prepping. We live in a rental home, so we can't do anything major, but we do have chickens now (who should be laying by the start of summer) and a garden (which we are about to plant). I don't lean so much towards stocking huge amounts of stuff, but I do think that learning skills that will help if the economy/way of life falls apart is a good start. Some of us (my family) can not stock pile food since our budgets barely allow for enough food to eat on a daily basis (hence the garden and chickens to help fill the gap). We set back what we can, but sometimes it gets eaten when things get tight.

I don't think you are alone in wanting to be prepared
Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #44
ASchultheiss84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

<--- Prepper/Survivalist mama!! You're not crazy!!

Last edited by ASchultheiss84; 03-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.
ASchultheiss84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #45
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

For me, this topic is like a train wreck. It freaks me out and bothers me but I can't help but look. We have a some stash of water and an even smaller food stash. I've had a hard time convincing myself to do this - I feel crazy because, IMO, unless you are doing a 72 hour kit to get you through a tornado or hurricane, it's like apocalypse prep. And for me, I just don't even want to think about that for multiple reasons. But I don't want to create a stir. Just a question - to the mama who just bought food with a 30 year shelf life, where'd you buy it from?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #46
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901 View Post
For me, this topic is like a train wreck. It freaks me out and bothers me but I can't help but look. We have a some stash of water and an even smaller food stash. I've had a hard time convincing myself to do this - I feel crazy because, IMO, unless you are doing a 72 hour kit to get you through a tornado or hurricane, it's like apocalypse prep. And for me, I just don't even want to think about that for multiple reasons. But I don't want to create a stir. Just a question - to the mama who just bought food with a 30 year shelf life, where'd you buy it from?
I am not that mama, but there are several internet companies that sell food with that kind of shelf life- all preparedness sites or Latter Day Saints. There are stores that you can buy the stuff from, but they aren't everywhere. They are becoming more popular though.

Don't need to feel crazy- lots of regular, non-apocalyptic disasters require more then 72 hours of stuff. I lived through a hurricane that left us (and all stores) without power for 2 weeks. We couldn't drink the tap water or run to the store for food and while I am sure there were relief people passing out food none were readily available to us. We had a geni and were able to eat out of our freezer. Consider Japan and the fact that the stores were running out of food and water in under a week. Japan is the one that really got me. I was thinking I have lost my mind for wanting to have food storage until I saw that. Hurricane Katrina- they needed way more then a 72 hours kit. And I have friends that survived on their food storage when they got laid off and couldn't find a job for a year. Plenty of non-apocalyptic reasons. Still feel crazy at times but it also makes me feel like I am doing everything I can to make sure my family is gonna be ok.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #47
LaniMami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So I am almost completely done with our 72 hour kits. My last big purchase was the Katadyn pocket filter ($300!) but it filters down to .2 microns, lasts up to 13,000 gallons, fits easily in my backpack, and is field cleanable. Only thing I dont like is it doesnt work on viruses, but I have bleach tabs for that, and gonna get iodine too. May as well have as much as I can to make sure we have drinkable water since thats most important. Other than that just filling in the gaps, I really need to concentrate on food, everything is canned, I'm looking for as many lightweight options as possible for our backpacks (ie pouch tuna instead of canned etc) but dont want to live off of MRE for 3 days

I am also going to start another hobby woohoo! Getting into making homemade fruit wine. I know thats not a life skill per se, but I feel if I had to rely on my crafts/skills to bring in income or trade for anything we may need, something like wine may be a precious commodity. So I can make soap & variety of personal care items, dye yarn, knit, sew (a little), make votive candles (have bricks of beeswax, wicks & molds) getting into wine making, and would love to learn how to spin yarn, and maybe make cheese. This summer I will be working on my bow & slingshot skills, and we are purchasing firearms as well that I will have to find a place to practice.

I'm going to start working on a months worth of food to rotate. I wanted to do 3 months but I feel overwhelmed thinking about how much food that is in reality, and if something really disasterous happened (like we wouldnt be getting help or supplies for a long while) I'd probably try to supplement by hunting small game to make what I have last.

Also been saving all of my "loose change", rather than roll them up and bring to bank for cash. Thinking paper money would have no value, coins are made of one metal or another & would probably be better for buying/trading.

Whew! One thing I REALLY wish I could have are chickens. They are so valuable as a food source, but live in a subdivision where its just not possible. My gf is hoping to move to a bigger place & planning on buying chickens so if that works out I can buy/trade stuff for some eggs.

I buy all of my bulk stuff from http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/ the canned stuff I buy by the case lasts 10-20 yrs depending on what it is. Write the date you got in on the box to help keep track. I dont stock up on everything dry because if water is scarce then its pointless but I have enough basics to get us through at least a month (veggies, fruit, meat, eggs, milk, butter, etc)

Last edited by LaniMami; 03-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.
LaniMami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #48
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I ADORE honeyville..I actually have a brick and mortore store near me that I go visit. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #49
ASchultheiss84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotmywings View Post
I ADORE honeyville..I actually have a brick and mortore store near me that I go visit. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
I'm going to check Honey ville right now! Actually hadn't heard of it before.=)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #50
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

Well, I thought this might be a good place to post my 'To Do' list. You ladies can help keep me accountable!

Done!
emergency plan: talked through and written out
72 hour kits including emergency plan binder
Water: up to about a month - continuously adding more with our growing family, living in the desert and storing freeze dried foods long term
3 month supply of food: all freeze dried entrees, so easy to deal with during a time of stress

To DO (aka, saving $ for):
Get another barrel & decide where to store it.
Increase my food storage to last ONE YEAR [in progress, one month at a time here] I am focusing on freeze dried as much as possible because it has the longest shelf life (unopened about 25 years/opened about 1 year) and is super easy to incorporate into recipes so rotating my food to prevent waste is doable for me.
Add stuff to 72 hour kit for new baby.
Get the Volcano stove and cook with it when it is too hot outside to heat up the kitchen more and for camping
Get a Solar oven and use the same as above.
Store cooking fuel - need to figure how much for how long, etc.
Practice shooting.

These are my main goals for now. I really focus on learning how to use and using what I store on a regular basis so I am comfortable with it. This will really ease my stress come time (God forbid) that I have no choice but to use it if I want my family to survive. I basically do emergency prep to 'save for a rainy day.' I am a planner and like to be prepared. Whether it is DH losing his job (our only income currently), unforeseen super high medical bills, natural disaster or economic collapse. I have home owner's insurance that I pay for but hope I will never have to use. So, best case scenario, I am completely wasting that money. For me, emergency prep is emergency insurance, food insurance that I am actually using in other ways (in our current meals, camping, cooking outdoors, etc.) as much as I can. So, best case scenario, I use all the items I purchase, thus not wasting money, but not because I HAVE to due to some hardship.

To the PP above, I'm not that Mama either but I get all my food from Thrive (link is in my siggie) because it tastes AMAZING and that is important since I use this food now. It is important to me to store what I know my kids will eat. I read once somewhere that young children would actually rather starve than eat something they don't want. You know, the ones too young to understand "you have to eat THIS because there is nothing else. you have to eat THIS or you will die." That is terrifying and I totally believe it with my daughter.

Last edited by Sonoran Bloom; 04-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote