Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
blackberry75
Registered Users

can high blood sugar cause anxiety?

For the most part I've been really careful about my blood sugar. There was a few days where it was on the low side, except that time I ate some fruit, but otherwise very good numbers.

Today I was a little less than careful and my blood sugar was a little high after dinner. Shortly after checking my BS, I started feel anxious and it keeps getting worse. I'm not really sure the 2 are related, because I'm stressing about the number. I knew it would come down again, and it has. Nice and normal, but I'm still super anxious. No clue why.

I've tried a couple techniques that usually calm my anxiety, but they're not working. Trying to sleep is out of the question. Also, if they where related, wouldn't the anxiety abate when my BS came down?

Totally unrelated, but I've got the strongest desire for crushed ice

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: can high blood sugar cause anxiety?

For craving ice- thats almost always signs of low iron...a form of Pica.

For the bs causing anxiety...sometimes when mine is high I feel a little excited...but I attribute it to having eaten sugar or having caffine (if it was a soda I had).
Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I was going to ask if you have had your iron levels checked recently? The ice cravings are usually associated with low iron.

I don't have any advice about the high blood sugar, though. I don't know that I've ever experienced it :/
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
blackberry75
Registered Users

No I haven't had my iron check recently, but I will ask them about that when I go in tomorrow to be induced.

I'm pretty sure the anxiety is because of the induction. The more I think about it the worse the anxiety gets. I've been practicing my breathing, visualization and meditation trying to calm my nerves. With Gman, I didn't have time to get nervous. It was finished the NST, went to hospital. There wasn't time to get anxious. This time I've had all weekend to run through it in my head, hoping I'd just go into labor on my own. At first it wasn't any big deal, but now I'm kinda freaking out.

My big concern is the pain; I'm a big wimp and don't handle pain well. With Gman I only made it to 6cm dilated before I caved and got the epidural. I really wanted to go as natural as possible this time, and an epidural will push that goal even further away than just being induced will. What if I can't take the pain again? What if I'm tethered to the bed and can't move around? I've always felt that if I'd been able to move around my first childbirth would have been easier. I'm actually hoping this birth will progress so quickly that I won't have the choice to get any pain meds. Like the option will be taken out of my hands. I also feel like all the prep w/ breathing and what not to handle pain was a big waste of time.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

I experienced major anxiety/panic the last month of my pregnancy. My mw and I discussed it and realized I was suffering from low blood sugar. Started keeping apple juice boxes and peanut butter with me and the anxiety subsided completely. If low bs can do it then I am sure it's possible for high bs to as well.
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IF you are a well controlled diabetic and only being induced b/c you are 39 weeks and it's protocol, you may want to further discuss your concerns with your doctor before starting the induction.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, I feel anxious when my blood sugar is high. Even if insulin pulls it back down, the whole time it is high, I can feel my heart pounding and I can't sit still and sometimes have difficulty concentrating. Sometimes I have to take a quick walk to work some of the sugar through, but if I can't I bounce my knees like a crazy person.