Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #31
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: severe itching

I'm so sorry you are so miserable. I had the same thing with ds. I got the liver panel and it came back okay. My OB said the only cure is delivery.

Perhaps you should see if you are a good candidate for an induction?

Advertisement

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #32
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
Itching of this level, especially on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet, is NOT normal. Cholestasis is a dangerous issue and is horribly under-reported and undertreated because so many pregnant women are told it's normal. Yes, it's normal to have dry skin or mildly itchy skin while pregnant. It is NOT normal to scratch holes in yourself or itch/scratch to the point of insomnia or horrible pain. I've been through this twice and it's so frustrating to be told "it's just annoying" when every fiber of your being tells you it's more than just an annoyance.

Wal-Mart may have it. We just lucked out and the first place DH looked had it. It's got menthol and some other stuff in it that really cools the skin. It's the only non-rx thing that takes the edge off for me.

Ask your OB if they will prescribe the Actigall/Urso as a preventative measure until the bile salt test comes back. It has helped me and cuts the stillbirth risk a bit. I still itch but not as bad. Between the Actigall and the Sarna, the itching is down to a tolerable level. I did start taking 1000mg of EPO twice a day to get the delivery ball rolling. Even with the medication and diet changes, it's obvious to me that my bile salt levels aren't going down enough. TMI but my urine is getting darker every day, even with the amount of water I drink, and my BM has gotten lighter in color.

What you're describing is what I went through with my last pregnancy and the only thing that solved it (since my OB wouldn't test or treat, grrr) was to deliver the baby. You're so close to delivering, I really hope they either get on the ball and treat you or the baby is born so you can get some relief.

I have a bunch of people telling me "that happened to me too, try Benadryl!" and I'm like yeah.....that doesn't work lol. They dont understand that its an internal itch. No matter how much i scratch or how much anti-itch cream that i use it does not go away. I'm pretty sure everyone thinks I'm exaggerating. I'm still waiting on my results and my ob is referring me to a dermatologist. Which is frustrating because they aren't going to be able to help me.

I've also got really dark urine and I have completely lost my appetite. The itching has been very tolerable today, it's mostly on my feet which is easy to control by keeping them super cold. But I guarantee it gets bad again tonight

I'm really hoping my results come back tomorrow! They sent them out on tuesday so I guess it's possible. Im not sure how long it usually takes, the lady in the lab didn't even know what the test was lol so she couldn't give me an estimate.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl View Post
I'm so sorry you are so miserable. I had the same thing with ds. I got the liver panel and it came back okay. My OB said the only cure is delivery.

Perhaps you should see if you are a good candidate for an induction?
Both of my obs don't talk induction until 41 weeks unless medically necassary and since neither one of them has a clue what is going on I'm afraid they won't take it seriously.

At my appt yesterday the ob said I was "wayyyyy to early to deliver" and that I should basically just suck it up.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry. If I remember correctly, I just tried to sleep through it. Wear a little clothing as possible and turn your tee shirt inside out. Try not to scratch.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #35
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8 View Post
Both of my obs don't talk induction until 41 weeks unless medically necassary and since neither one of them has a clue what is going on I'm afraid they won't take it seriously.

At my appt yesterday the ob said I was "wayyyyy to early to deliver" and that I should basically just suck it up.
What a bunch of BS. DD was born at 37w4d and did great. You're already past that mark. I don't like throwing the word stillbirth around, been trying to avoid it, but I would tell your OBs that you will hold them 100% responsible if anything happens to your DD because they failed to treat you.

I'm 35w6d and had an NST and GBS test yesterday. OB checked and I'm 3cm dilated and 50% effaced. My OB would like me to get to 37 weeks before inducing but he's no longer trying for 38 or 39 weeks like he was before. They did a new bile salt test on Tuesday afternoon and its not back yet either. Both labs I've been to have commented that they've never heard of that test.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #36
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
What a bunch of BS. DD was born at 37w4d and did great. You're already past that mark. I don't like throwing the word stillbirth around, been trying to avoid it, but I would tell your OBs that you will hold them 100% responsible if anything happens to your DD because they failed to treat you.

I'm 35w6d and had an NST and GBS test yesterday. OB checked and I'm 3cm dilated and 50% effaced. My OB would like me to get to 37 weeks before inducing but he's no longer trying for 38 or 39 weeks like he was before. They did a new bile salt test on Tuesday afternoon and its not back yet either. Both labs I've been to have commented that they've never heard of that test.
I am very scared that somethings going to happen! Ill be 38 weeks on monday so time is running out. The itching has gotten worse and my results still havent gotten back. Im so afraid that they wont be elavated enough since it was taken 3 days after my symptoms started. Baby has been moving good, thankfully but that doesnt really ease my mind much.

Ive been doing everything I can to go into labor lol so far nothing has worked. I dont have another appt until wed... hopefully my results will be back by then.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I am very scared that somethings going to happen! Ill be 38 weeks on monday so time is running out. The itching has gotten worse and my results still havent gotten back. Im so afraid that they wont be elavated enough since it was taken 3 days after my symptoms started. Baby has been moving good, thankfully but that doesnt really ease my mind much.

Ive been doing everything I can to go into labor lol so far nothing has worked. I dont have another appt until wed... hopefully my results will be back by then.
They should be back Monday. Week before last they drew mine early Tuesday afternoon and they were back Friday afternoon. Last week they drew mine late Tuesday afternoon and they weren't back by Friday afternoon so I'm absolutely expecting them Monday. Ask them for specific numbers or for a copy of the results.

If you were already itching really badly, they should be elevated.

Did you print out any info on cholestasis for your OBs? I would print info and take it with me to support what you're trying to tell them.

Last edited by CaliRoll; 03-18-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=CaliRoll;14819270]
Quote:

Ive been doing everything I can to go into labor lol so far nothing has worked. I dont have another appt until wed... hopefully my results will be back by then.[/QUOT

They should be back Monday. Week before last they drew mine early Tuesday afternoon and they were back Friday afternoon. Last week they drew mine late Tuesday afternoon and they weren't back by Friday afternoon so I'm absolutely expecting them Monday. Ask them for specific numbers or for a copy of the results.

If you were already itching really badly, they should be elevated.

Did you print out any info on cholestasis for your OBs? I would print info and take it with me to support what you're trying to tell them.

Im pretty sure they know what cholestasis is but they dont think its possible if my liver panel was normal. I can definitley print some things out to show them, hopefully my results will be back and thatll be enough for them to get this kid out lol.

I plan on calling tomorrow to see if the results are there. The nurses dont have a clue what the test is though so who knows what theyll say.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #39
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=jessicalev8;14819391]
Quote:

Im pretty sure they know what cholestasis is but they dont think its possible if my liver panel was normal. I can definitley print some things out to show them, hopefully my results will be back and thatll be enough for them to get this kid out lol.

I plan on calling tomorrow to see if the results are there. The nurses dont have a clue what the test is though so who knows what theyll say.
My medical group has my records online and it lists the test as "Bile Acids Fractionated and Total". Www.ItchyMoms.com lists it as Serum Bile Acid Test, Bile Acid test, the Bile Salt test, or the Total Bile Acids test. Also from that site: "These enzymes can be measured with a Liver Function Test, also known as a Liver Panel. This test may or may not be elevated in ICP patients, therefore the LFT should not be used as the sole criteria for diagnosing ICP! This is very important as it is common for ICP to be misdiagnosed by using the LFT only."

Keep me updated!!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #40
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Im getting a little sick of this. I got a call from the nurse about the derm. appt they wanted to make. She wanted me to go today at 230, its a 2hr drive and I dont have anyone to watch my kids! thats way to short notice. Not to mention, I dont want to drive that far by myself at 38 weeks. Then I asked about the test, she had no clue what I was talking about. I asked specifically for the bile acid/salts test and she said "you mean bilirubin?" uh no. I just dont know what else to do. I hate calling and asking because they make me feel like an idiot.