Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #41
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: severe itching

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8 View Post
Im getting a little sick of this. I got a call from the nurse about the derm. appt they wanted to make. She wanted me to go today at 230, its a 2hr drive and I dont have anyone to watch my kids! thats way to short notice. Not to mention, I dont want to drive that far by myself at 38 weeks. Then I asked about the test, she had no clue what I was talking about. I asked specifically for the bile acid/salts test and she said "you mean bilirubin?" uh no. I just dont know what else to do. I hate calling and asking because they make me feel like an idiot.
Tell them you can't do it today because you have no child care. They're not trying to be difficult, they just really have no experience with this condition. My OB is great but you can tell this isn't something he deals with a lot and his nurses don't know much about it either. Neither lab I've gone to had heard of the test. It is a cruddy spot to be in.

Advertisement

CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #42
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Im getting a little sick of this. I got a call from the nurse about the derm. appt they wanted to make. She wanted me to go today at 230, its a 2hr drive and I dont have anyone to watch my kids! thats way to short notice. Not to mention, I dont want to drive that far by myself at 38 weeks. Then I asked about the test, she had no clue what I was talking about. I asked specifically for the bile acid/salts test and she said "you mean bilirubin?" uh no. I just dont know what else to do. I hate calling and asking because they make me feel like an idiot.
how frustrating. And I'm sure the derm won't know anything either...even if you could make the trip.

have you tried a bath with baking soda?

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #43
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Now they are saying they didnt order the bile acid test!!!!!!!! ! am so frustrated right now. This makes no freaking sense. Last wed when I saw the doc I asked if she had gotten the test back and she said "no, thatll take a few more days" so wtf is going on? And when the took my blood they specifically said they were going to do a liver panel and bile acid test.

All i do is cry because of this mess. My skin hurts and I feel like no one is taking me seriously. I just want my baby to be ok - now I'm going to worry every second of every day until shes born.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Ok so I called them back and they said they got the results and they were 7. How is that possible?? I itch so bad! Im just at a loss. What could this be? I dont think I could convince them to retest, they are very convinced that this not cholestasis. The nurse said "its probably just a pregnancy rash" despite the fact that I have no rash.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #45
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I don't have anything useful to add, just sympathy! That must be so frustrating.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #46
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

So I just want to apologize for my whiny posts lol. This whole thing has me depressed and I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

I'm having a lot of pain under my right rib. It comes and goes but is extremely uncomfortable. I have a NST tomorrow so I'm going to have them run a full liver panel again. I'm not sure another bile salts test would even matter at this point? I had both of my babies right at 39 weeks so I'm seriously crossing my fingers that this baby follows in their footsteps lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #47
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Ok so I called them back and they said they got the results and they were 7. How is that possible?? I itch so bad! Im just at a loss. What could this be? I dont think I could convince them to retest, they are very convinced that this not cholestasis. The nurse said "its probably just a pregnancy rash" despite the fact that I have no rash.
There should be three separate levels: Cholic Acid, Deoxycholic Acid, Chenodeoxycholic Acid, and then the Total Bile Acids. Which part are they talking about being at a 7, or are they saying your Total Bile Acids was only 7?

Mama, I am so sorry you're not getting any relief or treatment.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll View Post
There should be three separate levels: Cholic Acid, Deoxycholic Acid, Chenodeoxycholic Acid, and then the Total Bile Acids. Which part are they talking about being at a 7, or are they saying your Total Bile Acids was only 7?

Mama, I am so sorry you're not getting any relief or treatment.
They gave me 1 number and that was 7. She said that was it. I'm assuming that is my total?

Maybe I am crazy and the itching is from something else...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #49
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalev8

They gave me 1 number and that was 7. She said that was it. I'm assuming that is my total?

Maybe I am crazy and the itching is from something else...
Who said, the nurse? Or the OB? Ask for a copy of the test results.

You're not crazy. Being that itchy isn't normal, even if it isn't cholestasis. My last test results were within normal levels and I'm still itchy, just not horribly so. But I'm also on medication to help lower my levels and control the itch. I still have cholestasis... It's just managed and my OB knows going to term is not an option I'm willing to risk.

If they're not willing to treat you, all you can do now is take Milk Thistle, drink tons of water, eat a low fat diet, and hope to go into labor.

Or, you can pitch a royal fit in your OB's office and tell them you're not leaving without a script for Urso (Actigall) and an induction date of ASAP. You are well past 37 weeks. Yell, cry, stomp your feet, knock stuff over, make a scene. Having your DH on hand to tell the OB "I'm not taking this crazy itchy woman home with me so you may as well induce her" would also be helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #50
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry to randomly post in but lately I've been sooooool itchy too, I'd be scratching all night and no lotions or creams would work either. My arms, stomach, thighs, boobs, everywhere! Should I tell my doctor?