Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Soft Water & Eczema. If this is you, share your wash routine!

I'm still struggling to find a CD washing solution for my son with eczema in our super soft water. Even using only 1 TB of Tide free and gentle, I spend all morning doing extra rinses. This is a major waste of water and now our water bill is up. And our night inserts are starting to smell of ammonia again. Not a surprise really, but I need to find a routine that works.

RnG gave us bad ammonia but my son's skin was clear.

All free & clear kept my diapers clean but my son's skin is too sensitive for it.

Tide free & gentle 1 TB seems to keep my son's skin clear for the most part, but we rinse all day long.

Arm and Hammer (regular) made him break out horribly.

Based on a couple recommendations I just switched to Cheer free, but ended up rinsing all day with that one too.

So, if you have soft water (lots of suds) and a kiddo with super sensitive skin, what is your wash routine?

Advertisement

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
ebandive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
mamaspice
Registered Users

Now you are making me think that our eczema issues might be from detergent build up instead of PUL. Hmmmm.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice
Now you are making me think that our eczema issues might be from detergent build up instead of PUL. Hmmmm.
I had a long post awhile backed where I figured out it was detergent related. I'd take a picture at every diaper change and that really helped me figure it out.

So, anyone have a solution for me? I think I may try making my own detergent next.

Come SWAG with me! I'm earning $25 a month in amazon gift cards by searching and taking surveys!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
mamaspice
Registered Users

DD has improved a lot since I put away the exposed pul covers but there are still some mild spots and in some non diaper places like where waistbands and pant legs rub so maybe there is some build up.

I also have soft water. I'm going to try putting some vinegar in my fabric softener dispenser I think and see if that helps strip the soap. I don't want to be rinsing all day, I have other laundry to do also!

I use 1 round T of classic rockin green and have had no problems with our diapers (mostly cotton) other than what I described with the covers. Maybe I will try some Soft Rock next.

Taking cod liver oil and vit D3 also helps my eczema!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Soft Water & Eczema. If this is you, share your wash routine!

We fit this mold too (eczema and we have a well but use a whole-house water softener). We have had good luck with Charlie's Soap for diapers but we also use All F&C for DS's clothes. We've had issues with BacOut and Tide causing him problems though (I suspect enzymes are the culprit for us as BacOut was a NIGHTMARE re: his eczema). I've tried PUL and wool and didn't notice a huge difference but have found that my DS does much better for natural fibers (even when used w/PUL). We've done well with the Flip organic system or the organic Flip diapers folded in Thirsties covers. He is fine with stay-dry (our BG 4.0s, Flip stay-dry inserts, etc) mixed in too, but didn't do as well when we used these all the time. He is a HW too, though.

Good luck, mama. I know it was REALLY frustrating to me when I couldn't seem to get his eczema to go away a couple months back. I hope you can find a detergent that works well for you!
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and my official routine is this:

Short, cold wash, no spin on final rinse. No detergent.

Heavy duty hot wash with extra water (I have an HE TL). I use a little less than 1/2 scoop of Charlie's. Two extra rinses.

Dry.

I will use bleach or Oxy Clean every couple months or so if I feel like our overnight diapers are a little smelly (that's my litmus test for potential issues). I also rinse our overnight diapers each morning and we spray poopy diapers out before putting them in the pail.

I hope this helps!
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
ebandive
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Oh, and my official routine is this:

Short, cold wash, no spin on final rinse. No detergent.

Heavy duty hot wash with extra water (I have an HE TL). I use a little less than 1/2 scoop of Charlie's. Two extra rinses.

Dry.

I will use bleach or Oxy Clean every couple months or so if I feel like our overnight diapers are a little smelly (that's my litmus test for potential issues). I also rinse our overnight diapers each morning and we spray poopy diapers out before putting them in the pail.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for your help! I'll keep it in mind. He does well in sposies so I keep considering giving up cloth. But darn it, I have so much money and time invested, they are SOOOO cute, I don't want to admit defeat, and only rarely does the rash seem to bother him. I also find he does slightly better in natural fibers, or at least a rotation between natural and stay dry. We did prefolds and fleece covers for awhile and there was no difference, so I know it's not the PUL.