Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Adding whole milk into the mix

DS turns one this month. We are nowhere near ready for weaning, but I would like to be able to cut back on the pumping sessions at work (I only work 2-3 days/week) and want to introduce whole milk.

My pumping output has dropped, and I have slowly been burning through my freezer stash to send to the sitter along with whatever I have freshly pumped. I mainly want to introduce whole milk so he can drink it at daycare - maybe have a combination of some breastmilk and some whole milk throughout the day while he's there.

I definitely wouldn't mind cutting back on breastfeedings (he nurses 6+ times a day), but he isn't eating many solids yet and I feel like I can't cut back on breastfeeding until he's eating better. Or is it still okay to replace some breastfeedings with whole milk when he's not eating solids well yet?

If I'm not replacing any bf sessions, how do I go about introducing whole milk? Is it okay to just offer it straight, or is it really necessary to mix it with breastmilk and gradually change the percentages?

I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this!

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Adding whole milk into the mix

DD is 13 mos. This is what I did:
I WOH FT and was pumping 3x/day for bottles for DH/daycare. Output started to drop around 10 mos. I changed the day bottles 1 oz at a time, 1 oz per week over to cows milk. So the first week, 1 bottle was 3 oz bm + 1 oz cow, 2 bottles full bm. Next week, 1 bottle 2 oz + 2oz, 2 bottles bm. Once a bottle turned to full milk it honestly got eliminated bc dd will NOT take anything but bm from a bottle

Now she is fully day weaned (and I am pump weaned, yay!!!) but her cow intake definitely does not equal her old bm intake. She eats plenty dairy and pedi said most kids are way overfed on the milk (it's NOT supposed to be a 1:1 replacement for BM - solids are the replacement for bm, really). Total intake 12-16 oz daily, basically 3-4 toddler servings, and nursing counts as servings as well.

If DS isn't eating a ton of solids, I would maybe slowly transition 1 oz/time in the bottles for babysitter, so you can drop the pumping. And don't worry if he doesn't drink the equivalent in milk! As you drop bottles you might find that he naturally starts eating more.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the idea on how to transition over the bottles! That seems to make a lot of sense. Since I posted this, he has started eating more solids, so that makes me feel better, too!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Mamma527
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just wanted to add that it worked really well for both my boys to put cows milk in a sippy cup. Then it was something new and different instead of putting it in bottles.

My friends that put whole milk in the bottles had a hard time weaning off of the bottles later.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Glad it's working out. The whole bottle-sippy-whatever transition seems to be soooo individual, it's difficult to know where you're going to wind up. Couple more thoughts:
1. You may find that NOTHING but bm is acceptable in a bottle. DD will ONLY accept bm in a bottle and ONLY water in a sippy She will, however, drink milk and juice from an open cup. So we are moving toward open-cup-hood faster than anticipated.
2. What helped our bm to cows milk transition, I think, is that DH never ever warmed ebm bottles. He would, sometimes, leave one on the counter for an hour or so to take the chill off, but that was it. We encouraged daycare to do the same. So the transition to cold cow milk was probably a little easier because there wasn't a temperature change at the same time.