Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
greenmama52
Registered Users
seller

Baby on a budget

Let me start by saying we are not hard up for money, but I do like to save where I can, so that we can splurge in other areas. Like right now we are refinishing our basement. I rarely buy anything new, and I thought it would be fun to see what I can collect for this baby either free, or thrifted. When I was driving my DD to Nursery School last week, I spotted a baby bouncy seat lying in a parking lot. There was a lot of traffic at the time, but it was still there at midnight when I came home from work, so I stopped and grabbed it. It is Winnie the Pooh and in fabulous condition. So that is the first thing I have for this newbie. Also, yesterday I saw a lot of 47 med and lg Happy Heiny's on Kijiji for free. I didn't respond quick enough, so I didn't get them, but what a score that would have been! They just needed new elastics. Anyone else like a good (or free) deal?

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby on a budget

I'm a sucker for good deals or free!!! I am very active with my local freecycle group and have done very well scoring awesome things for free on there. There isn't much I need this time around other than a new car seat and some additional newborn diapers. Many of my friends are just starting their families so I'm sure I won't be offerend many hand me downs either. That's okay though, b/c I saved the big items and we have lots of clothes for either gender! OH, I did sell our bassinet but we still have our pack n play so I think I'll use that in place of a bassinet. Unless I can find one cheap or free!
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
greenmama52
Registered Users
seller

We thought we were done with babies, so I have given away everything for under a year, plus the crib and infant car seat. I just freecycled a ton of diapers too, as I was planning to start pling DD2. Our freecycle is pretty good here though, and I just feel like since I have given so much stuff away, something will surely come my way. I am picking up a mixed bag of baby stuff this afternoon, so hopefully it will be something I can use. We also have a city wide "give away" weekend in May and Sept where people can put stuff out on the curb and you can just troll around and take what you like.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama52 View Post
We thought we were done with babies, so I have given away everything for under a year, plus the crib and infant car seat. I just freecycled a ton of diapers too, as I was planning to start pling DD2. Our freecycle is pretty good here though, and I just feel like since I have given so much stuff away, something will surely come my way. I am picking up a mixed bag of baby stuff this afternoon, so hopefully it will be something I can use. We also have a city wide "give away" weekend in May and Sept where people can put stuff out on the curb and you can just troll around and take what you like.
That city wide giveaway sounds awesome!!!! My dh hates it when I come home with things I found on the curb. I try to give away what I can on freecycle which I think in turn brings me good freecycle karma! I've had a lot of no shows lately which has been pretty frustrating.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
greenmama52
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
My dh hates it when I come home with things I found on the curb. I've had a lot of no shows lately which has been pretty frustrating.
My DH hates it too! He doesn't usually let me out on Free Day. But this time, there are things we actually need. Can't stand No Shows!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
winodini
Registered Users

I am always on the hunt for a good deal. But being as I'm sure this will be my last, I'm willing to splurge a lil on things as well I didn't the first few times
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
taralynnel
Registered Users
seller

Location: Monterey, CA (where ever the Marine Corps takes me)
My Mood:

we have an amazing bargain fair every 3 few months here. we live in a military community and people are always getting rid of baby stuff. there was a bargain fair just this past weekend but i didn't get anything because i was afraid to jinx myself. unfortunately we are having all of our household goods packed up and moved the weekend before the next bargain fair, but luckily there is a very active bargain fair FB page, so i'm sure in a month or two i can post an ISO and get lots of great stuff for good prices. then the movers can pack up and move all of it for us :P
the only thing i plan on getting new for this baby is probably an infant carseat. everything else is going to be used!
Tara, lovin' wife to a United States Marine (Ray), and mommy to the E's: Emeline 9.23.03, Everett 6.29.05 & Elianna 3.20.08, missing my baby in heaven 7/11, my rainbows are here! Easton & Evangeline 10.22.12
taralynnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do everything on a budget... we are a family of five, living off DH's military benefits while he finishes school. We literally make less than $24k/year right now. But with smart budgeting and not wasting money on useless stuff, we're able to pay our bills, send DS1 to a private SDA school, and have extra money for fun stuff (annual Christmas trips to the mountains, fun family outings, etc), all while remaining debt free (except for house and car).

Needless to say, I am always on the hunt for a good bargain! I've been blessed with some wonderful deals on DS and IRL, and try to pay it forward whenever I can. DH graduates this summer, and our income will triple (at least) with his new job... but I'm still budgeting every penny, especially since we have a lot of baby stuff to get (we got rid of our big baby items, nb/s diapers, maternity clothes, etc)