Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can someone help me understand what is going on with my son?

My son is 3.45 (will be 3.5 on the 26). He was potty trained at 22 months. No real accidents since then except in the last few weeks and I don't think this is his fault.

On February 24 he was sitting on the couch and suddenly and without warning, pooed in his pants. It was firm and only happened that once so we didn't think much of it.

March 4 we were getting ready for church and he pooed in his pants. It was soft. We cleaned that up and went to church. At church he pooed again in his pants during services. At the time we were thinking it was because we changed the way we were parenting him and he was doing this on purpose. I made him go to the bathroom before going to Sunday school (which he LOVES) where he had yet another accident and we went home. We were very confused until later in the day when it became clear he had some sort of an illness. The next day he was fine with normal firmer stools

On March 7th he had very loose stool once in the morning and was fine the rest of the day.

Last night (11) he had a very loose stool again. Thankfully not in his pants. Then today, he told me he needed to go "splash" and went going to the bathroom. Suddenly he pooed in his pants and it was the consistency of baby poo.

There is part of me that wants to call the doctor, but then the other part of me thinks they will not be able to help.

His eating has been fine. I can't think of a common food that could be causing this. On the 7th I was pushing coconut water on him so I stopped that after his loose stool and everything seemed to get better... until last night. He hasn't had coconut water since Tuesday. He did have a bit of normal coconut this morning in his breakfast but nothing yesterday in the way of coconut.

Has this happened to anyone else? Where should I be looking with finding the cause? Does anyone have anything that works well for stopping up a child? I did give him yogurt on Wednesday and Thursday for lunch thinking that would help, but he didn't have any over the weekend.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:
Poor guy! Intestinal viruses can last as long as 6 weeks, so there is a good chance that he is still fighting it. If his behavior is normal, you haven't introduced new foods, and he's eating well and staying hydrated, he's probably ok. But it's definitely worth a call to the doctor to make sure.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone help me understand what is going on with my son?

I would have a doctors visit and start a food journal to track what might be the cause
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I contacted my son's pediatric nurse today. She said that diarrhea can last 2 weeks and can come and go in that time. So I think I will give it another week then see what happens. I think I will also start keeping a food journal for him.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
mommyfrog
Registered Users

You can steep blackberry leaves in hot water like tea (I've even used a yummy tea bag at the same time) and it works as well as Immodium. My sister's midwife had her do that when she had diarrhea when she was pregnant.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

bananas are good for diarrhea. I lived in India for 4 years and had lots of stomach problems and bananas worked every time.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote