Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Jessimee
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2sandk
seller

Another BGE question...

So, I think I may want to buy a couple of these to try. People really seem to love them. But here's my question--I see them for sale on FSOT, described as "Very lightly used" or "Only used for a couple of months" and yet they are described as having holes in them already. For those who've used them, do they really wear out this easily? Or are people exaggerating the "light use"?

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
3ringcircus
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Another BGE question...

Mine are 6 months old, I probably don't use them once a week, and I started to get my first little hole last week. None of my other diapers have holes, except a hemp flat that is pinned/snappi'd, and used very frequently. So I'd agree they show wear pretty quickly.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
kalibratx4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah and it's really unfortunate for such an expensive diaper, I think it also depends on your washer (my tl is pretty hard on diapers)
kalibratx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had some for over a year with no holes but some of my GroVia AIO's do have holes. I think it must depend on the specific batch of diapers.

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have about 12 of the BGE and the all have holes, some a REALLY bad but they still never leak and are pretty much my favorite diaper, so yes they do seem to look wore out quickly but they still work well, even with holes.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Ladyflower
Registered Users

I've been using 2 of them as part of my stash for 4 months now (they get washed 1-2x a week) - one I bought Gently used from CB and the other is brand new. Neither one has any kind of holes or wear (just some staining.) I think it is the nature of the cotton fabric that it shows wear sooner, but you never really do know if people exaggerate their use or how they even define "light use."
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I've used my BGEs for 2+ years and I do have a larger stash, but none of mine have holes. I think the key with them is to rotate them frequently.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Jessimee
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2sandk
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
I've used my BGEs for 2+ years and I do have a larger stash, but none of mine have holes. I think the key with them is to rotate them frequently.
What do you think is a good number of these BGEs to have, to keep them in light rotation? If I go this route, I'd like to make sure I have enough so that they don't wear out so fast.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I think it depends on your washer and wash routine. Our current stash is only a couple months old, but looks pretty much brand spanking new. I got a new artist series one a week ago and there is literally no difference between it after one wash and the rest of our stash that gets washed every 48 hours because we have a small rotation.

I currently wash in our LG front loader, we only require one cycle to get them clean and I use All F&C which cleans them throughly without wearing them out. When I used "natural" detergents I found it took more washes to get them clean which meant more wear and tear. Also, I use the highest spin setting on my washer so they require less time in the dryer. I don't really have concerns about ours wearing out prematurely at this point.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
thejuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 30 used for 1.5 years and only used these. One has a pin sized hole in the soaker in the back. We have a front loader, hard well water, use Tide and machine dry most of the time. I love Elementals.