Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you figure how much to sell a diaper for?

I have some diapers that are not my favorites anymore. When my ds was little he was VERY big and I had to buy certain diapers to fit. But now I am finding he is fitting into so many more and I have found diapers I much prefer to the others. But I don't want to give them away either. Anything I sell I would use the $ to buy new diapers but realistically selling a diaper for $8-10 then having to pay fees and shipping just seems silly. My dh figures they aren't costing him anything now so why bother selling.
We are TTC but who knows if the baby would need big diapers like that and maybe we will get a girl. I thought I should just hang onto them though. I just would love to get some extra money to get some more of the diapers I really really like.
On average what does it cost to ship a diaper in the US?

Advertisement

http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
amykins04
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you figure how much to sell a diaper for?

I just shipped a diaper from WI to NC and it was 1.98.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykins04 View Post
I just shipped a diaper from WI to NC and it was 1.98.
How did you do it that cheap? The cheapest I can ever ship 1 diaper for is about $3.15. What am I doing wrong? I ship 1 diaper first class, have to mark it as a package or else I can't get a DC and without fail, it always comes to about 3.50. It's still this expensive just going through PP.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
3ringcircus
Registered Users
seller
seller

I noticed your location says Canada. If that's correct, I think shipping from Canada is more expensive.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
amykins04
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
How did you do it that cheap? The cheapest I can ever ship 1 diaper for is about $3.15. What am I doing wrong? I ship 1 diaper first class, have to mark it as a package or else I can't get a DC and without fail, it always comes to about 3.50. It's still this expensive just going through PP.
Hmm, not sure. It was first class, 5 ounces, and it has a tracking number. Was actually the first time I shipped something via PP. I noticed that all the other options were 4-5 dollars. And it was marked as package or thick envelope.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ringcircus View Post
I noticed your location says Canada. If that's correct, I think shipping from Canada is more expensive.
Yes I am in Canada but my dh travels in the US and does all my shipping there. I don't like shipping within Canada or from here
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
CuriousElephant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Will you be annoyed if you don't get much for your diapers and then end up needing to buy them all again because your next baby is big, too? If so, and if you're TTC, why not store them in a climate-controlled part of your home?

I know lots of people talk about the elastic going, but I can't imagine it being a huge problem unless you were waiting a long time to reuse and/or unless you couldn't store them properly. I think a large part of the savings with cloth diapers is in reusing them for another child.

Also, cost-wise, you can still sell diapers with shot elastic. No, you aren't going to get as much for them, but you will get something, especially if they are sold in lots.

I know you didn't ask that, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. For what it's worth, I saved our diapers and I'm so glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuki24 View Post
How heavy are the diapers you're shipping? I just shipped a small AIO and it was less than $2. Here are the First Class rates from USPS.
CuriousElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykins04 View Post
Hmm, not sure. It was first class, 5 ounces, and it has a tracking number. Was actually the first time I shipped something via PP. I noticed that all the other options were 4-5 dollars. And it was marked as package or thick envelope.
Okay, so I'm going to try to ship as a envelope vs a package and see if it gives me the option for a DC.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I ship through paypal with a scale at home. Those poly mailers are light and cheap and best way to go IMO. Usually it's about $1.50 per dipe depending on how heavy that particular diaper is and how little you fold the poly mailer down. Covers are light but even they don't ship for less than $1.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I ship through paypal with a scale at home. Those poly mailers are light and cheap and best way to go IMO. Usually it's about $1.50 per dipe depending on how heavy that particular diaper is and how little you fold the poly mailer down. Covers are light but even they don't ship for less than $1.
Sorry to hijack post OP!!!! Do you know where to get Polymailers (not online)? I've looked at Officemax, Target and Walgreens. They don't have them.