Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
yesterdayicried
Registered Users
k**ro**ns26
seller
seller

Getting nervous about Hossy after 2 HBs...

What the title says. This third time around I've chosen a hospital birth for lots of reasons (PP care, financial issues, etc). My first birth was 6 hours, my second 5 hours. My second birth, baby had a nucchal hand so the labor pattern was really "spotty" (really looong painful contractions but with ten to fifteen minute breaks between for the first two or so hours) to start and I was in the thick of it before I really realized I was truly in labor. I'm starting to get freaked out about not wanting to leave the house once labor gets started. It's just so against the normal experience for me. I am going to be that lady showing up to L & D every week with three contractions
My plan is to show up rather early so I can get comfortable with the space and my surroundings.
Anyway, I'm just starting to get a little nervous about the hospital vs. home experience.
Anyone have any tips/advice about making myself at home in the hospital?

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
2much2luv
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Getting nervous about Hossy after 2 HBs...

I guess if I was you I would wait as long as possible before heading in, but I can understand why that worries you too. I had an induced hospital birth followed by two homebirths followed by a planned UC turned hospital birth followed by another homebirth. The hospital birth with my fourth was actually a pretty positive experience I think in large part because my husband and I were experienced and educated and able to let nurses and doctors know what we wanted and didn't want. We were treated respectfully and allowed to do things our way and I can only guess that it was because we were respectful yet confident in how we wanted things done. So be confident and sure of yourself in expressing your wishes is the advice I guess I would give.
2much2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Mama if you go in super early just be prepared for the fact that they might send you home. Don't panic - you can always cruise the lobby if you want but they might not let you settle in unless they have room.

With my #3 son I went back and forth to the hospital for a WEEK - lol. I kept going in and out of labour. Don't feel guilty for being there "too soon" lots of us have gone in with false alarms.

I've had 4 hospital births and the last two were certainly better. In the last few years most of the hospitals have gone to private rooms. Mom gives birth in the room, it is cleaned while mom is in the shower and it is the room you stay in until you go home. There are fridges and tv's and nice showers and couches and you name it - like a hotel room. One hospital even tucked away ALL medical equipment after the birth so you didn't see any of it! You can have unlimited visitors at any time AND your partner or support person gets to stay the ENTIRE time you are there! Baby doesn't leave the room either. Hopefully you will get something like that. BUT even my two more standard births - shared ward room with baby at beside and with nurses at times was decent. If you get a bad nurse SPEAK up and ask to change but I have always had super caring nurses and excellent care.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I had 2 hospt births, then 2 home, then 1 hosp and this one is going to be a hospt birth . Last time, it was a great experience. We just did our own thing, brought homemade treats for the nurses and set ourselves up like we were in a hotel. DH was feeding me snacks and drinks in between pushing, lol, and they never said a word. We are educated about our choices and acted thusly, so they left us alone. Different hospital this time, but better OB, so I am not sure....and the hospital is about an hr away, so I am *kinda* hoping I don't make it there in time (i mean that I stay home, not that I birth on the beltway near DC!)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't go in too late, personally, given that history. My labour with stella was great, only because i got there relatively early, 4 hours before she was born, I went pretty much as soon as I knew I was in labour, and once I was in the room I could really let go in my space. I like to just be left alone and for the most part the docs and midwives just did that. Now having had a 2 hour labour from start to finish with Addie, if I was planning a hosp birth again, I definitely would head in right away. (Hypothetically of course!).

I am probably not the best person, for my first I took in all sorts of crap and never used a single thing. I didn't even sit on a ball. I was only there for 3 hours before she was born and I just didn't care. All I wanted was to be in the water. And for my second it was the same. And for my 3rd, a homebirth, it was the same. I didn't even bother packing much in the birthing kit because all that I wanted was water. I told my midwife that before as well, she had given me all these little self-realisation cards etc to focus on during labour and i told her I don't need any of it. I even bought massage oil this time and we didn't use it. I am just one of those people that needs to go into myself and not talk, not do anything, just stare at the floor/ bed/ bottom of the tub. Thinking back though, I think music would have helped me in all my births to have something different to focus on, so I wish I would have had the sense to tell my husband beforehand to please please put it on for me! The only thing I've ever really wanted is sports drinks loaded with ice, really helps the nausea and gives me some energy, plus if you're puking helps with dehydration.

It sounds like you are going to an awesome hospital though, I don't think you need to worry too much. The most important thing to me after all is said and done is having a care provider (or small group of 2-3) who know you, your wishes, and who you know are supportive of what you want. The rest just kind of flows from there I think.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And I think it's so interesting that you're doing things the opposite way from me BTW. I actually think it's pretty cool that I have had both hospital and home experiences, and I loved all of them, just love giving birth! I know it's going to be awesome for you adn I am excited!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
yesterdayicried
Registered Users
k**ro**ns26
seller
seller

Aw, thanks Jen and for the thoughtful replies everyone. My doula is a friend who is a birth assistant and in her second or third year of nursing school so I'm hoping she could possibly check me if I think it's the real deal and we can head the the hospital together.
At this point I think it's just going to be me and her and I'm talking with a photographer who is interested in starting to do birth photography and she will possibly come for free for the experience. It's more the unknown and coming from a home birth philosophy I tend to be leery of hospitals though when I stop and think rationally I know I can have the experience I want with the midwives I've chooses at the hospital. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would labor at home as much as possible. go in at hour 4 or something.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote