Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Mrs.Leichliter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnancy weight gain....

I am pretty depressed about my weight gain this pregnancy. Normally, I start out by losing 10 lbs. due to morning sickness and then after I gain it back, gain another 18-25 before the baby is born. Then I've lost it all within 2-4 weeks. No big deal--that I have no problem with.
This time though, due to unisom and B6, I haven't been as sick and so didn't lose any to start with. At my 20 week app. I had gained 7 lbs. and two weeks later, I think I've gained another 4. I don't eat junk food (other than some corn chips this week), I don't eat a ton of bread other than maybe 1/2 bagel with eggs in the morning to ease my m.s. and maybe another piece during the day. We don't have candy and sugary snacks very often.
What do I do differently? I'm afraid that I'll end up gaining 40 or more lbs. by birth-day, and I'm no small chicken to begin with.
Or am I stressing too much? I know it sounds dumb. My mom gained 60 lbs. with me and lost it in three weeks w/out trying. But I guess for me, I've always struggled with my weight and it seems that with my pregnancies/births, one of the only things I've been able to "do right" is limit my weight gain and be able to get it off easily. Everything else is a disaster, so to speak.

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pregnancy weight gain....

You might just gain differently this time around. I typically pack on all my weight in the second trimester, and really plateau in the 3rd. The last month of my pregnancies I generally don't gain at all, or even lose a little -- only because I can't eat more than a few bites before I feel uncomfortably full.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

I'm sort of down about this, too. I'm already at the wt I delivered DD and have 2 months to go. I started out heavier this time due to not losing all the baby weight, so I should be prepared, but I had no appetite combined with horrible heartburn the 1st tri, so I was hoping for the same end weight.

Oh well, dr. isn't concerned and says I'm on track, so I guess that just means more to lose after. I will say I could be eating healthier than I am, but I just want carbs and snacky ones at that.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Guys, I gain 50 lbs every time, on healthy food, while staying active. I lose 20- 25 lbs on my "birthday". The other 25 come of over 6 months.

WHAT YOU EAT IS WAAAAAAAY more important than how much you gain!!!

The new weight gain guidelines SUCK. Many naturally-mided physicians and midwives predict a rise in pre-eclampsia and preterm births due to the new guidelines recommending overweight women to gain only 15 lbs. BEACUSE YOUR BABY NEEDS FOOD TODAY!!! Baby isn't 'eating' your fat, only what you put in your mouth day to day.

A well-nourished woman who gains a lot is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING than a woman who gains a lot on pizza, coke, and ice cream. One woman is healthy. The other is NOT!

You and your baby need protein, carbs, vitamins, and minerals EVERY DAY! You are growing a WHOLE PERSON, thier body, their immune system, their BRAIN from scratch. It takes building blocks. Pregnancy just ISN'T a time to worry about weight.

Eat whole foods, plenty of protein and produce, and be as active as you can. And let the rest go... your body is beautiful and it is doing a beautiful thing right now.

Last edited by momomom; 03-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

As far as I'm concerned, there's no point in stressing over it. Do your best to eat healthy and not go overboard with the calories and you'll gain what you'll gain. I've gained 30lbs with this pregnancy so far with 7 weeks to go, which is a far cry from the 60lbs I gained with DD1, but still over what I should be for my BMI, since I didn't exactly lose all the weight I packed on with DD1. It may mean that you'll have a harder time losing it when baby gets here, but I'd rather worry about that when the time comes. There's enough to worry about when you're pregnant. I'm not saying live on a steady diet of McDonalds, but if you're eating reasonably healthy, you and baby will be healthy and that's really what matters.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
philenabean
Registered Users

I'm with you, mama! I was super healthy with my first, and put on 45 lbs. I wasn't so healthy with my second, and put on 45 lbs. I've already gained 18 this pregnancy, but had gained slightly less at 20 weeks than I had with my first 2 pregnancies. I'm assuming that I'll put on about the same amount this pregnancy, too.

It's no fun, I hate trying to lose it, but it just seems that is what my body does. I've been a thicker girl all my life, even when most in shape, so it always hurts to gain weight. I think I'm just more sensitive to it than others may be, because of my past experiences with weight. I just keep telling myself that it's for a good cause, and I'll work extra hard after baby comes to get back down to where I was before. If you're not pigging out and going crazy, then just let your body do what it's going to do, get some exercise, and worry about the rest after baby comes. It's all we can really do!

Quote:
Eat whole foods, plenty of protein and produce, and be as active as you can. And let the rest go... your body is beautiful and it is doing a beautiful thing right now.
Well said, mama!

Last edited by philenabean; 03-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.
philenabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom
Guys, I gain 50 lbs every time, on healthy food, while staying active. I lose 20- 25 lbs on my "birthday". The other 25 come of over 6 months.

WHAT YOU EAT IS WAAAAAAAY more important than how much you gain!!!

The new weight gain guidelines SUCK. Many naturally-mided physicians and midwives predict a rise in pre-eclampsia and preterm births due to the new guidelines recommending overweight women to gain only 15 lbs. BEACUSE YOUR BABY NEEDS FOOD TODAY!!! Baby isn't 'eating' your fat, only what you put in your mouth day to day.

A well-nourished woman who gains a lot is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING than a woman who gains a lot on pizza, coke, and ice cream. One woman is healthy. The other is NOT!

You and your baby need protein, carbs, vitamins, and minerals EVERY DAY! You are growing a WHOLE PERSON, thier body, their immune system, their BRAIN from scratch. It takes building blocks. Pregnancy just ISN'T a time to worry about weight.

I agree with this! Except I just ate pizza, coke and ice cream
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Mrs.Leichliter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me. :-P I guess it's frustrating though, because I'm gaining all this weight eating healthy so when I do crave ice cream or pizza I feel even worse indulging.
Ah well...my babies normally eat it off me fairly quickly after birth, especially since this one is a boy. :-D
Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I eat a very healthy, no processed food diet and stay active and I've still gained almost 40 pounds. I have lots of energy and haven't had any morning sickness, but didn't start gaining until 10 weeks or so. I would have loved to gain less, but honestly think that there's nothing that I could have done to gain less short of starving myself and the baby. Sometimes your body just gains what it needs to. I'm sure that I'll lose it after the pregnancy because I know that I'll continue to eat healthily after he's born.

Try not to stress over it!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
maryamrose
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just want to chime in along with the other women - each pregnancy is certainly different, and 11 pounds at 22 weeks is not alarming at all. I get it, though - you've been through this a few times times before and this time is different. but I would try not to stress about it!
maryamrose is offline   Reply With Quote