Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
About to cry... or scream... Or maybe both!

Dh and I have NOT been in agreement on getting DD a new car seat. He found a $50 frontier on craigslist and I told him I'd compromise to a $100 NEW seat off amazon. Really thought that was the end of it because I made it clear I'm not budging on whether we're getting new or used.

I get into the truck today and there's a booster that looks like he picked it out of a dumpster!!! The only reason why I haven't broken down yet is because I'm torn between crying (from feeling already emotional) or screaming. It even SMELLS like he got it out of a dumpster. The cover's elastic isn't holding on the seat anymore, it's covered in stained and the date is 2007 - so it's expired AND disgusting. UGH

DH is sick and overworked so if I talk to him about it we'll end up in a huge argument. He's been in bed for 6 hours and I want to go rip the covers off and give him my of how he could possible put our DD's life in this POS car seat.

Was thinking of taking pictures but I don't want to look at it or think about it anymore. I'm going to tell DH that I never want to see that seat again, it belongs in the dumpster, not securing our child while he drives 80mph on the freeway and I will do my best to believe he put it in the truck as a joke. ahhaha AAAAAAHHHH!!!

Advertisement

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
McMandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ddc!!
Point out the expiration and let him know that you can get fined for having a baby in an expired seat! I know they are doing checks more often now.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: About to cry... or scream... Or maybe both!

I'd ask him what the purpose of a car seat is. The correct answer is to keep a child safe in case of an accident. Since that is the case, is there any reason to use a car seat that you don't know for sure is safe? And the answer is no.

I am the queen of used. I'll buy just about anything used, pick up just about anything off the side of the road free etc. I won't touch a used car seat with a ten foot pole - there's no point. If I can't be sure my kid is safe in it, there's zero point in using it. The entire point of a car seat is to keep my kid safe! Take the stinky thing and put it back in the dumpster.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Sew_Sweet
Registered Users
seller

Sorry -

Don't know what to say other than that. Some people just don't get it when it comes to car seats. Sucks when that person is your own husband!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well the night ended in tears I wasn't going to bring it up but he brought it up like it was some awesome find. Um... It's an expired car seat I can get at walmart for $40! He's convinced that it has absolutely nothing to do with safety but bureaucracy and people trying to get our money. I responded to him that I don't want to ever see it again and he needs to get rid of it. He told me that I don't even know where it came from and that *I* have my priorities wrong My priority to spend a measly $100 on a safe car seat is wrong?? And what? He didn't think I'd respond to that? I told him that the car seat has to go and he told me to leave him alone.

I'm so frustrated hearing that lately. It's one of the few things that DH does that ticks me off. I stopped taking it personally because I get that he needs his space and he is sick right now. But now DD's caught onto it and she says it when she's not getting her way and I hear it nearly every day. It childish to handle a situation like that, to end a conversation "leave me alone". UUUURRRRGH.

Even if I know where the car seat came from, one of his friends, none of which I would trust. The car seat is expired and filthy and falling apart. How is he oblivious to this?!

So far all the info I find online he could argue as I'm being 'sold' into buying a new car seat by fear tactics.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12

Last edited by SeaChellsRun; 03-12-2012 at 11:05 PM.
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Chelly, you need to stand your ground on this one. Find the money and get the seat that's right. It's not up for discussion - your daughter will not sit in that thing.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ddc I would smash up the seat and throw it away. New is the way to go. Sorry your DH is not on the same page about seat safety.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
crunch!910
Registered Users

I guess this is just me, but I'd g o out and buy a seat under $100 (what you said you'd compromise on) and just replace it. TWO can play at that game.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
I guess this is just me, but I'd g o out and buy a seat under $100 (what you said you'd compromise on) and just replace it. TWO can play at that game.
Yep. Me too. Show him the video of the expired britax that had teh harness rip right out of the shell in a crash test while you're at it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #10
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Yikes, dp definitely doesn't always agree with me on car seat stuff but he at least just goes along with it without too much complaining (wasn't impressed I kept dd r****** til over 3, or that she is NOT allowed to wear a coat in the car and we live up North, not washing straps in the washing machine, etc.) He knows I would NEVER use a used seat but he will probably try to fight me with expiry dates when we eventually get to that point - still have a few years left on all of our seats.

I would definitely just go out and buy the 100$ seat you agreed upon or flat out refuse to get in the car with dd at all.