Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Hannah Elise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone here not vaccinate EXCEPT for tetanus?

Okay, this could have gone under "Parenting" (and if I don't get any response here, I still might ask there) but I thought this was relevant to my homesteading mamas.

Ds has his one-year appt coming up and at his last appt (7mo), my doctor said he'd like to revisit my vaccination plans. Which have premuch been... to not vaccinate... but I have not always been firm about this decision while in his office, because I have this thing about standing my ground with authority figures. I know. Get over it, right?

Anyway.. all my research and reading was during pregnancy... and I'm trying to re-gather the resources that led me to my decision, and organize it to present it to him, because I honestly feel like he's open to learning WHY I do not feel that vaccination is the right choice for my LO.

THAT said... since ds' last appointment I exchanged emails with my MIL, asking her about what she did with HER kids, because I wanted to know vacc history for that side of ds' family, and dh honestly had no clue. *sigh* So... apparently she followed schedule with dd1 (now, this is back before they added a TON of the vacc's out there, as her dd1 is ...27? 28? now), and dd2 had a reaction, so none of the subsequent kiddos were vacc'ed until they moved from city to their house in the country, and dd1 got a horse. At that point, all kiddos received tetanus shots, because tetanus is common around horses.

I need to talk to MIL and find out exactly what kind of reaction my SIL had, but that backs up my initial inclination that vacc is not the best route for ds... PLUS since ds' last appointment, I have also been diagnosed as non-celiac gluten intolerance, and having read about the links between gut health and modern health disorders (adhd/asthma/allergies/autism), and knowing that the intolerance tends to be genetic (and I had a great-grandma and grandfather with pancreatic cancer, which both my ND and I feel points toward a gluten history in my maternal line)... so ds and I are both now gluten-free.

Anyway... I'm rambling. That's all backstory.

Basically, I'm feeling like tetanus would not be a bad idea, just as my MIL did with her LOs, because... we LIVE on a draft horse farm. We HAVE a horse (and other livestock) at my parents' farm. It is something that I actually feel that he WILL have contact with in his daily environment.

So.. have any of you homesteading mamas done the same? No vacc's except tetanus? If so, at what age did your LO receive the vacc? I'm leaning toward 2yo, but want to hear what others have done.

I'm familiar with situations where someone has stepped on a rusty nail, etc, and had to receive a tetanus booster - if they automatically give "boosters" in situations like that, then would it make sense to just refrain from the vacc unless ds ends up with such an injury?

Can you even GET the tetanus on its own, separate from tDap or Dtap? I was always under the impression that tetanus boosters were JUST tetanus but now I am not sure.

Thanks, everyone, for putting up with my rambling.

Sent from my Samsung Intercept using DS Forum

Advertisement

ISO: interlock, M/XL GMD workhorse IHA: Fleece soakers, wool shorties, prefolds
Hannah Elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
HippieMomof5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We do not vaccinate and my kids haven't received a tetanus shot BUT I am not opposed to tetanus under the right circumstance. I believe you have 24 or 48 hours to get the shot after an accidents occurs where tetanus may be a real threat. I won't get tetanus just because but if my child is in a situation where its possible, I will. Does that make sense?

*Sent from my Droid using DS Forum*
HippieMomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Does anyone here not vaccinate EXCEPT for tetanus?

We dont vaccinate at all,and your post popped out at me because we have lived in horse country for quite some time & my kids play in dirt horses have lived in, have gotten deep cuts playing in that dirt,stepped on that ever present rusty nail LOL & so forth, yet tetanus has never been an issue for us. We have had whooping cough (scary for our 2 yr old who was initially misdiagnosed), it took 17 years for my oldest to finally catch the pox, everything else has been non-existant. I had just been wondering lately if tetanus was even a real concern at all...

(I know. No help. Sorry! It has been eons since I really looked into the vax stuff since I quite vaxing when my oldest was 2 & that was 19 years ago. Many people I know dont vax at all &the worst any of us have experienced is whooping cough.Which admittedly is scary - but we all survived it (and yes, even us vaxed people get it. immunity is not lasting with the vax! ) & more importantly so did our children.

Good luck on your decision. Its hard making big parenting decisions!
~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Haven't read all the posts so forgive me if someone has this already...

It's late and my brain isn't working completely spin can't remember what it's called exactly but I believe it is just an immunoglobulin version of the tetanus shot that is what they SHOULD and some docs do give if you have a tetanus scare and aren't vaxxed. Getting the traditional shot AFTER a scare has happened will not do U any good for the current situation....only future. So if there were to be an issue do not get the dtap thinking it would help this time... Do the ig version. Forgive me if the name is off.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

All we do is DTP. Mostly for the tetanus.... But since we have to/want to give tetanus I do DTP because My dad told me so many depressing/horror stories about Pertusiss - and it actually thrives pretty decently where we live.

For what it's worth... The one time I took DS to the ER they asked if I'd given tetanus... I said yup... it did simplify the process. We did Tetanus because we currently live on a small property that was trashed in the past (in terms of lots of rusty stuff and glass that emerges every spring form the dirt)... And we plan to live on a farm for the rest of their lives.

I'm a middle of the rode vaccine person. I believe in them in terms of public health, but am selfish regarding my kids health... I understand and respect all opinions regarding them. We might end up doing MMR later b/c we plan to travel... just to give you some perspective about where we fall in the "GREAT DEBATE"...

ETA:
We did it relatively on schedule - a couple months delayed... because I wanted him to have it by the time he was walking/playing around in the dirt. If I hadn't been living on a former trash/garbage heap I might have waited a year or two...

Last edited by One Little Window; 03-13-2012 at 03:03 AM.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
HippieMomof5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aumismommy
Haven't read all the posts so forgive me if someone has this already...

It's late and my brain isn't working completely spin can't remember what it's called exactly but I believe it is just an immunoglobulin version of the tetanus shot that is what they SHOULD and some docs do give if you have a tetanus scare and aren't vaxxed. Getting the traditional shot AFTER a scare has happened will not do U any good for the current situation....only future. So if there were to be an issue do not get the dtap thinking it would help this time... Do the ig version. Forgive me if the name is off.
Yes, forgive me, this is what I meant above!

*Sent from my Droid using DS Forum*
HippieMomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

We do Dtap. The oldest 2 boys we did when they were 3 and 4. My 3rd son we did on schedule (but did the kind recommended by Dr. Sears). He is the only one with virus-induced asthma though! The doctors ask what we did differently with him (like move or whatever) and the onlything we did differently was give him dtap when he was a baby. not saying it caused it, but just to be safe we will wait to give #4 dtap until she turns 1-2ish.

You can get tetanus separate if you wait until kids are around age 5-6, I do believe.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
MamanMoore
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sorry, not part of the homesteading group I guess but just wanted to say that tetanus is the only vaccine we plan on giving our boys. While we aren't on a farm, we are in the country and don't want to have to worry every time they get a cut walking barefoot outside.
My understanding is that they can give a booster IF the child is immunized already. If not they treat with an immunoglobulin which can be unpleasant As far as side affects go, and you have to get them into hospital for treatment in a very narrow window of time (like the 24 - 48 hours a pp mentioned).
I'd highly recommend Aviva Jill Romm's book on vaccines (Vaccines: a thoughtful parents guide - i believe is the title). My midwife lent it toe during this last pregnancy, it's a heavier read but totally full of awesome info - and you learn big words situation always helps when random people (aka ILs challenge you after doing no research )

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum (probably while nursing) - sorry for weird spelling errors
Old 03-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, we don't vaccinate but Tetanus was a bit of a worry so I spent a good week researching and reading anything I could get my hands on. In the end I decided to stick with my decision not to. DTaP is one vax that I really don't want them to get. Plus to be honest, tetanus doesn't just live in the country. Our kids could have caught it just as easily playing in our backyard in town at our old house. But, tetanus also cannot live without oxygen. So the second you get a cut and it starts bleeding, you flush it out. I'm lucky to know a doctor who doesn't push vaxes, as she said they honestly can do more harm than good. She said it's actually very difficult to contract tetanus. Plus your chances of getting it greatly decreases if you properly let the wound bleed to flush it, then clean it properly. And the shot they tend to give you in the hospital is not the proper shot (was already spoken about in above posts). They keep the booster, not the actual antitoxin type (or immunoglobin that was spoken about above), can't remember the proper terminology right now either. She said the one they ask you about at the hospital when you go in with a cut is the type that takes awhile to take effect, not the type that can stop you from getting tetanus if you have already been exposed.

So, between the fact that my doc doesn't recommend them, let alone my naturopath, and we don't give any other vaxes as it is, we choose not to vaccinate.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No info either way on the vaccs, but pretty much once they can walk at my house tetnus is a risk, sadly. Ds first experience with a rusty wire puncture was around 14 months old. So yes, it can happen that young, especially if they are following dad around on the farm.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote