Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Meag1023
Registered Users

My family doesn't vax and neither do I. None of my siblings have received tetanus nor my kids. Two of my sisters have stepped on things recently and due to the amount of debris in the actual cut they were given the immunoglobulin shot. Not a big deal actually or according to my 6 year old and 13 year old sisters. I think it's up to you I would wait until your little ones are a little older to give it and only give the tetanus.

Advertisement

Meag1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone here not vaccinate EXCEPT for tetanus?

I am a non vaxer, but tetanus (NOT Dtap) is one that I would let my DD have if needed. I'm not going to have her get it, but at the same time I'm not 100% opposed to it either.

Also I have read before that tetnus can't grow with oxygen and rust needs oxygen to grow, rusty nails giving you tetanus is a myth. Anything that can puncture the skin and has been around dirt can give you tetanus. http://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/first-aid/rusty-nail-tetanus1.htm

ETA I would wait til at least 1 yo
Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

I'll preface this by saying I am pro-vaccination, on schedule.

We live on a horse ranch, we have two horses, my boys are outside frequently. There is no way I would consider NOT vaccinating for tetanus. The chances of contracting tetanus definitely increase in these kinds of situations. And tetanus is an extremely unpleasant disease.

I'm a pretty careful person, especially around the horses, and I've been scratched by rusty things more often than I can count. Every one of those times I've been thankful to have been vaccinated against tetanus.
Honeybee1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwelton View Post
I am a non vaxer, but tetanus (NOT Dtap) is one that I would let my DD have if needed. I'm not going to have her get it, but at the same time I'm not 100% opposed to it either.

Also I have read before that tetnus can't grow with oxygen and rust needs oxygen to grow, rusty nails giving you tetanus is a myth. Anything that can puncture the skin and has been around dirt can give you tetanus. http://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/first-aid/rusty-nail-tetanus1.htm

ETA I would wait til at least 1 yo
You pretty much said everything I was going to, lol. The rusty nail thing really bothers me for some reason.

I would never (EVER) do Dtap, but like you said, I'm wiling to consider tetanus alone. I'd prefer to wait until 2 though...

Good luck mama, these decisions are HARD.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did do just tetanus for my kids. We live in the country and our house lot used to be a pretty trashed spot. I didn't want to have to worry about them being outside barefoot. I did wait until 9 months to start the shots (when they were old enough to be crawling around outside and walking soon). It is very difficult to get just the tetanus shot I had to have my pedi write a script that I took to the pharmacy who had to special order it then I had to pick it up and take it back to the pedi to have it administered.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
kej
Registered Users
seller

Tetanus lives in the dirt and manure. It just needs access to the body via a cut, preferably a deep one.

Kids might get cut and not tell you-at least mine don't. A tetanus shot could prevent something really nasty.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I did a delayed vac schedule. I waited until they were 2 than we started vac 1 shot at a time. BTW this meant less shots total.

According to my chiro, in the past 50? years tetanus has only been recorded in the state of WI 1x. And that was an Amish child with a cut who walked through horse manure 2 years ago.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
MamaLovesBaby
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Just keep in mind that you don't really know what all is in the vaccines. I believed all of the propaganda to vaccinate. Now, both of my boys are autistic. Perhaps, it wasn't the vaccine, but even if it was only a one percent chance that it was, it isnt worth it.
My uncle had polio, he grew up, fought in a war, and became an electrical engineer. I had chicken pox, no,problem. My 3 1/2 year old son doesn't talk, he doesn't sign. He has all of the signs os autism and physical problems other than seizures. He may never improve. It is even possible that someday, he will be so bad, that I will be unable to care for him.
Autism has increased to 1 in 55 boys.

It is a terrible neurological disease. If I had known the possible risks, I may have made a different choice.

While there is no absolute proof of the correlation, there is some disturbing info out there. The vaccines still have mercury and aluminum.
MamaLovesBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLovesBaby View Post
Just keep in mind that you don't really know what all is in the vaccines. I believed all of the propaganda to vaccinate. Now, both of my boys are autistic. Perhaps, it wasn't the vaccine, but even if it was only a one percent chance that it was, it isnt worth it.
My uncle had polio, he grew up, fought in a war, and became an electrical engineer. I had chicken pox, no,problem. My 3 1/2 year old son doesn't talk, he doesn't sign. He has all of the signs os autism and physical problems other than seizures. He may never improve. It is even possible that someday, he will be so bad, that I will be unable to care for him.
Autism has increased to 1 in 55 boys.

It is a terrible neurological disease. If I had known the possible risks, I may have made a different choice.

While there is no absolute proof of the correlation, there is some disturbing info out there. The vaccines still have mercury and aluminum.
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
cody82414
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is exactly me!
barefoot on the farm scares me
but
I only got the first portion of the tetanus though when DS's were 3 and 7,
not sure if I should even bother now