Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
navywifeq
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't, Other than being traumatic; she might start holding it even longer and develop bigger issues. She'll go in the potty when she's ready. in the mean time!

Advertisement

navywifeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would I Be the Meanest Mommy Ever If . . . (Poop Q)

I honestly don't believe there is a reward that will motivate her. I have tried rewards in other situations and if she doesn't want to do something she just won't do it. Using the bathroom is part of the nighttime routine, and I even encourage her to go poopy, but she says that she doesn't have any. Plus, making her sit on the potty just gets her worked up which pretty much ensures that she won't poop.

I like the idea of just not putting a diaper on her at night, but she will also wet the bed and I would have to change the sheets multiple times a night. I just don't have that many mattress protectors and sheet sets.

I figured taking her night-night away was a bit extreme, but I just know that she could do it if she wanted and I just want her to want it!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

I would suck it up, get rid of the nighttime diapers, buy one or two cheap vinyl mattress pad protectors and go to Goodwill and find some cheap flat or fitted sheets. They don't have to be pretty or the right size, if they are bigger, you can just tuck them under the mattress (this is what I do with my full size bed, all my linens are queen size). Change in the middle of the night, yes it sucks, BUT if she feels the pee and poop all over her, maybe it will help her. If not, after a week go back to diapers. DD1 had a horrible time pooping in the potty for a while. DD2 does awesome at 2.5 BUT put a diaper on her, and she's quick to pee in it while falling asleep, yet other times, she wakes up completely dry 10 hours later.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hopefully by now you have realized taking away the blanket would be cruel. My daughter was 4 when I could get her to stop with the bm in a pull up. She was potty trained at a little beyond 3 years old. I tried a few times during the course of the year to have her go bm on the potty to no avail. Finally, when she was 4 I talked with her about it a few times casually. She would like to have continued going in the pull up but I let her know it was a transition that was going to be made. All in a very calm and non threatening way. I also gave her some miralax as I knew she would try to hold it. She was nervous at first but not really scared like she was before. She was ready and it was very easy.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I vote take her night night away. She is old enough to go on the potty . I would tell her she gets 1 night time diaper and if she poops in it its gone and she is not getting another one. After the first diaper was dirty i would put her in undies and be done. If she dirties them than tough cookies, she gets to sleep in a wet bed.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it would be cruel to take it away, but I think there is probably a better way to go about it. Try some positive reinforcement.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I'm with the others and wouldn't take her night night away. I just know with my experience with my 3 1/2 year old, doing anything like that really just makes the situation worse, for both of you, on top of it being cruel. I bet this is so extremely frustrating for you. I just know threats don't work with my daughter so I can only assume it doesn't with other kids as well. Perhaps you can get potty books from the library and read them to her before bed time and explain to her that we all have to go poopy in the potty because we can get sick if we don't go to the bathroom and show her that she wont be wearing a diaper anymore at night so there wont be anything there to catch her poop if she does in the middle of the night and she'll have poopy sheets to sleep on. I hope you find what works for you both!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think you would be mean for taking her night-night away. She is old enough to understand what is going on. However, I still wouldn't do it. Not because it is wrong, or mean, but since she can obviously control herself I would worry that she might try to hold it even longer and get seriously backed up. I might try the underwear route, or maybe take something else, like sweets and tell her that she is not "grown up enough for sweets until she is grown up enough to use the potty." If you are going to do that then I would just say it very matter-of-fact and no pushing, no bribing. And leave it alone after that. My SIL waited until her DS was a couple weeks shy of 4 and then told him he could not turn four if he wasn't potty trained, and that he wouldn't have a birthday. I personally wouldn't lie to my children but it worked for her!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
My SIL waited until her DS was a couple weeks shy of 4 and then told him he could not turn four if he wasn't potty trained, and that he wouldn't have a birthday. I personally wouldn't lie to my children but it worked for her!
omg that sounds so mean. But I guess I'm a softy push over
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Does she use the big potty or a chair? Do her feet touch the ground or a stool while sitting? That may be part of the issue if not. Ever tried pooping with your feet dangling in the air? it could be a position issue, it's much easier physiologically to poop standing or squatting....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote