Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Mazaya
Registered Users

Grovia My Choice Training Pants

I'd like to get some feedback on Grovia's training pants. What do you like? What do you not like?

I'm currently practicing Elimination Communication with my little one who just turned 4 months old. I wanted to try Grovia training pants with her but I'm not sure if they'd fit her well. What's been your experience? Any other good training pants for ECing that will fit her for a long time (I don't really want to have to buy diffferent sizes)?

Here's a little background info on the general fit of our diapers so far:
Baby E weighs about 15-16lbs. Her waist is not very big and I typically struggle to adjust diapers with snaps (luckily most of our diapers have applix). I don't know how to explain it... it's like they don't sit flat on her belly. You know how pants can open up on the back when you bend down? Well that's what she gets but on her belly, no matter how tight I snap them. If my explanation doesn't make sense, I can take pictures if needed

She also has fairly skinny legs and we have leaks with our Grovia AI2s and our KaWaii Goodnight Heavy Wetters at night around the back of her legs. It happens whether I put on an extra insert or not. It doesn't happen every night but a few times a week for sure. (By the way, if anyone has advice for me on the topic on nighttime diapering for skinny babies, I'm all ears!)

So with all this information, would you recommend Grovia's training pants? Another brand? Thanks!

Advertisement

Mazaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
lissydoll
Registered Users
seller

Re: Grovia My Choice Training Pants

they run large, even so on my almost 3 yr old. the rise, even on the smallest snap setting, is still pretty big. but otherwise we love them

owner of Barabows boutique<all things girly> and i also do snap replacment and conversion.
lissydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

LOL I was going to say that they run very small. I am comparing them to the Flip trainers & my extra large toddler. How funny that one person's very small is another's very big.

The Grovia trainers are considerably smaller than the Flip Trainers so that is my frame of reference & my son. They seem like they'd be a better choice for a smaller child who needed a product like this, though I don't know if they would fit well under 20 lbs since it sounds like you have an especially slim baby.

They have a semi-stay dry inside. So the baby doesn't feel the wet like with cotton but they don't keep the wetness away as well as a stay dry diaper does. They do have some absorbant fabric inside but it's thin & is not enough to hold 1 pee from my toddler (though could for a child who doesn't pee as much at once or in your case since your goal is to not pee in them at all). There is a pocket to stuff something in there but be very gentle, the stitching came undone when I put a thin insert in there.

JMO but if you have the funds, I'd try 1 out & if it's not a good fit now, it could be in 4-6 months or you could always sell it on here. They are new so should sell quickly on here with out taking a big loss money wise. I know Gro Via is having a sale starting at some point this week at most or all of their retailers but I don't know what products it covers (I don't know if the trainers are on sale) but it's worth checking into.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

They should fit from about 20 pounds, I can try one on my 18 pound boy in the morning for a frame of reference, he is tall and thin. I have them for my 30 pound 3 year old.

The GroCool lining is designed for them to know and feel wetness, it isn't stay dry at all, in fact, with DD she knows more when she is wet in these than in her cotton panties, as she got used to wetting cotton diapers that doesn't phase her, but a wet trainer bothers her.

She is day trained and only uses them at night now, but I think if you are looking for something to last for a really long time these are well worth it. The waist issues you are having with snaps shouldn't be a problem with the side snap, and there is elastic across the front waist.

A great trainer for early training and ECing, but I think they will still be big at 16 pounds.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
I know Gro Via is having a sale starting at some point this week at most or all of their retailers but I don't know what products it covers (I don't know if the trainers are on sale) but it's worth checking into.
it's just on their prints, though perhaps their AIO loosely snapped could pull up or down for ECing?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

I found them on the small side too. My guy has a pretty small botty and even with the plus size side panel it left red marks. We used it twice(night only), it held up great the first night but leaked the second night. I'm pretty sure it was because I stuffed it differently so the second night I just didn't add enough absorbency.
Overall, for a smaller toddler I think it would be a great product. In the end you really just have to try it out for yourself to find out if it will work on your baby.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Mazaya
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
JMO but if you have the funds, I'd try 1 out & if it's not a good fit now, it could be in 4-6 months or you could always sell it on here. They are new so should sell quickly on here with out taking a big loss money wise. I know Gro Via is having a sale starting at some point this week at most or all of their retailers but I don't know what products it covers (I don't know if the trainers are on sale) but it's worth checking into.
I think buying one is probably my best option. Like you said, it might not fit now but it will at some point down the road. Or I could sell it if I really don't like it.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
Mazaya
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
perhaps their AIO loosely snapped could pull up or down for ECing?
That's kind of what I do now with my AI2s but I thought that something trimmer would be nice. Plus I assume that trainers would try faster than thick soakers.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaya View Post
That's kind of what I do now with my AI2s but I thought that something trimmer would be nice. Plus I assume that trainers would try faster than thick soakers.
If you are looking for trimmer than the AI2 I would actually say that the AIO is much trimmer than the trainer. DS1 just turned two and he's about 3 feet tall and 27 lbs and they are big on him. They are also bulky in the crotch region. I got some of the AIOs instead of getting more trainers because he doesn't like the bulkiness of the trainer. He's in early Pling mode.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Here is DS, 9 months, 18 pounds in the trainer on the lower rise with the regular side flex panels, very bulky but would work for 1 pee