Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeChickVee
i know this isn't what you posted for, but please give what I'm saying a chance.

Please don't circumcise your babies. No medical organization in the world recommends circumcision. There is no health benefit. Annually, 200 babies die from circumcision complications such as blood loss, hemorrhaging, sepsis, MRSA etc. Approximately 1/3 of all circumcisions are botched to some degree, and about 4% of all babies circumcised will need post operative treatment and surgery due to complications (this is about 48,000 babies per year.)

Circumcision interferes with breastfeeding. Out of 100 boys circumcised, approximately 75 will not readily breastfeed. Babies are born with a breast crawl reflex, circumcision interferes with that. Out of 100 boys, 3 will develop phimosis, 31 will develop metal ulcers, 55 will have some form of adverse reaction to the surgery, and 8 will suffer infection at the surgical site.

Circumcision damages sex for both men and women. Circumcising a man removes the foreskin, which is a prepuce organ. It has millions of nerve endings. The prepuce organ in the female is the clitoral hood and in the womb, they are formed from the exact same tissue. Removing the foreskin literally is like removing the clitoral hood. Circumcision also hurts women because circumcised men have sex in a completely different manner than intact men. Check out www.sexasnatureintendedit.com to see visual images of these differences. Definitely not work or child safe, graphic sexual images. My DH is intact, and from having done things with circumcised men, I can tell you there really IS a world of a difference when it comes to pleasure and that is obvious in their reactions to stimulation. The intact penis isn't dirty either as long as the man takes a shower, which he should be doing whether he is intact or not.

The head of the penis is not fully developed at birth. the foreskin is actually fused to the head via the synachia. This is to protect the still developing glans, and to prevent urine and fecal matter from entering the urethra and from having contact with the glans. When you remove the foreskin, you are exposing an underdeveloped glans and raising your child's risk of developing a UTI. Also, when you circumcise you create a wound. A wound that now gets to sit in dirty and moist diapers and that will burn intensely every time he pees.

Most doctors will not numb an infant for circumcision, and if they do, it's with local anesthetic. You STILL feel a circumcision with a local anesthetic, I promise. Not to mention that the local anesthetic in itself is painful.

Have you ever seen a circumcision performed? If not, you can see photos and a video here: http://www.cirp.org/​library/procedure/​plastibell/ and here: http://www.circumcisionvideos.com/

Considering the risks and the fact that there is no health benefit and that no medical organization in the world recommends circumcision, why circumcise? Also consider that circumcision is associated with sexual problems such as painful erections, decreased pleasure, keratinization of the glans, and even erectile dysfunction. It's not your penis, it should be up to your sons when they are adults if they want to do it. This isn't like a medically necessary procedure that you need to make a decision about.

For more info:

drmomma.org
4eric.org
http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...html#resources
cirp.org
nocirc.org
savingsons.org

and check out this thread for like a million more links: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119362

Please, please, please don't circumcise your babies.
this!

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #42
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes
No one flamed you even in the slightest. You said you were still deciding whether or not to circ and several people provided you VERY respectful information on circumcision. That's not flaming in any form and I'm sorry if you feel hurt.

In my experience here they will not do a nerve block and will NOT allow a parent to be present. Have you discussed circumcision with your chosen pediatrician? Ours will not do them at all but will refer you to a pediatric urologist.
Well your experience isn't the say all, end all of this topic obviously! I had the option of being present at every one of my 6 sons' circs. I was in the next room with #6 and dh was with him the whole time. Our Ped has been doing circs for 20+ years and was more than happy to accommodate us and do it in his office even though that's not what most people do. Many have it done in the hospital before discharge (2 of our's were that way) and 4 were brought back after 7-10 days to have their's done. Local anesthesia was used, not (eta-spellcheck) topical either. I don't know that it was a nerve block, but he had a few shots of xylocaine or lidocaine or something and they waited a bit for it to take effect. He's cried more when I've been driving and he was unhappy in his carseat than he did at his circ. I've been able to breastfeed all of my boys after circ'ing as well.
This is the same argument as breastfeeding, home birthing, ERFing... It's eliminating an "unnecessary" risk. But just like circ'ing moms, formula feeding moms, or hospital birthing moms aren't out there begging you TO do it, I don't think it's right to be begging moms NOT to do it. It's a choice that we're allowed to make as parents, just like I'm allowed to decide if I want to have my baby's birthmarks removed with a laser. It's a totally 100% cosmetic procedure and his face, but I'm allowed to decide as his parent. I don't see people begging moms-to-be not to do that?

Last edited by TwinKristi; 03-16-2012 at 03:59 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #43
MuffinMania
Banned

Re: Nerve Block for Circumcision

It's not the same argument at all. Breastfeeding/home birthing/extended rear-facing have nothing to do with mutilating healthy, functioning genitalia.
MuffinMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #44
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have three sons and only my oldest was circumcised (my circd son is now over 9 years old and in that time I have since changed my stance on circumcision). He had his done at 3-4 days old under general anesthesia. He was under the GA for another reason so they did it at that time as well. His was done by a ped in the hospital.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #45
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Well your experience isn't the say all, end all of this topic obviously! I had the option of being present at every one of my 6 sons' circs. I was in the next room with #6 and dh was with him the whole time. Our Ped has been doing circs for 20+ years and was more than happy to accommodate us and do it in his office even though that's not what most people do. Many have it done in the hospital before discharge (2 of our's were that way) and 4 were brought back after 7-10 days to have their's done. Local anesthesia was used, not local either. I don't know that it was a nerve block, but he had a few shots of xylocaine or lidocaine or something and they waited a bit for it to take effect. He's cried more when I've been driving and he was unhappy in his carseat than he did at his circ. I've been able to breastfeed all of my boys after circ'ing as well.
This is the same argument as breastfeeding, home birthing, ERFing... It's eliminating an "unnecessary" risk. But just like circ'ing moms, formula feeding moms, or hospital birthing moms aren't out there begging you TO do it, I don't think it's right to be begging moms NOT to do it. It's a choice that we're allowed to make as parents, just like I'm allowed to decide if I want to have my baby's birthmarks removed with a laser. It's a totally 100% cosmetic procedure and his face, but I'm allowed to decide as his parent. I don't see people begging moms-to-be not to do that?
Did I say it was? RUDE much? I said in my experience HERE. You being 3000 miles away I'm not surprised you had a different experience. I just know how it's done here.

And some of us DON'T feel it's a parental choice some of us feel like it's a human rights issue. Did you know being born without a foreskin is a birth defect? And removing a birth mark is in no way the same as removing part of a healthy functioning organ and I'm appalled at the comparison actually. Removing a birthmark with a laser is also not cutting anything off.

OP I don't know if I said this or not already but our pedi recommends that all parents have it done by a pediatric urologist to lessen the chances of problems. They are more likely to use appropriate pain control as well.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #46
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP, I didn't read through all of the post but I read a lot of them. I worked in PP as an RN. IF you are determined to have a circ done this is what I would recommend.

1. Pre medicate with tylenol 30 mins prior to procedure, then Q 4 hours for at least 24 hours.

2. Apply the EMLA cream to the base of the penis(however long before I can't remember of hand) to numb the area he will get injections.

3. MAKE SURE YOU OR DH ARE PRESENT. I can't tell you how many times an OB would tell the parents one thing and then do something totally different.

4. Give babies sucrose water on a paci or finger throughout procedure. Sucking on sugar water has shown to reduce pain and provide comfort.

5. Make sure they do penile block and wait at least a few minutes before starting procedure. It does take a few minutes for a penile block to work.

6. I would ask that they take less foreskin vs more. They will still be circ'd but have a little extra tissue to play with so that you do not end up with some of the circ complications. Most circ complications are the result of taking to much tissue.

7. Apply vaseline generously until healed so that there is a protective layer from urine and stool.

8. breastfeed asap after procedure.

Hopefully, you can convince DH against then you won't have to worry with all this
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #47
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerrn View Post
OP, I didn't read through all of the post but I read a lot of them. I worked in PP as an RN. IF you are determined to have a circ done this is what I would recommend.

1. Pre medicate with tylenol 30 mins prior to procedure, then Q 4 hours for at least 24 hours.

2. Apply the EMLA cream to the base of the penis(however long before I can't remember of hand) to numb the area he will get injections.

3. MAKE SURE YOU OR DH ARE PRESENT. I can't tell you how many times an OB would tell the parents one thing and then do something totally different.

4. Give babies sucrose water on a paci or finger throughout procedure. Sucking on sugar water has shown to reduce pain and provide comfort.

5. Make sure they do penile block and wait at least a few minutes before starting procedure. It does take a few minutes for a penile block to work.

6. I would ask that they take less foreskin vs more. They will still be circ'd but have a little extra tissue to play with so that you do not end up with some of the circ complications. Most circ complications are the result of taking to much tissue.

7. Apply vaseline generously until healed so that there is a protective layer from urine and stool.

8. breastfeed asap after procedure.

Hopefully, you can convince DH against then you won't have to worry with all this
Thank you! That was excellent advice, and I really appreciate it.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

hugs while you go through the decision making process. I hope you get the info you need. Personally I would not have a circ done before the child is a week old. I can't give you much info on pain meds though. So my only advice is to wait until the twins are at least 7 days old.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #49
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

My son had his done at 4 days old. He had some trouble with blood clotting so they had to add a strip with some clotting meds on it. I would have liked to wait til the 8th day. God was smart saying the 8th day.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

My DS had his done at 2 days old. My husband was with him, and he never cried. He was given tylenol, and numbed the area, and sucked on sugar water, and then came back to me, and slept the whole day. He did have less taken off just to make sure too much wasn't taken off. We have never had a problem with it.