Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
sarahferret
Registered Users
seller

Boba and Kinderpack vs. the killer ergo

We are moving our toddler to back carries only since we have a new squish to wear on the front. The Ergo has a buckle that rides so high it tries to choke you when you do a back carry.

Where are the buckles on the Boba 3G and the KP toddler? A little lower? The Babyhawk has an adjustable buckle, but I havent heard much about it.

Advertisement

sarahferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
clover
Registered Users
seller

Re: Boba and Kinderpack vs. the killer ergo

The sternum strap attaches on the Boba 3G and the BabyHawk Oh Snap in a very similar way; they are on a corded runner on the inside edge of the shoulder straps. On the Boba 3G, the runner ends about 3 inches before the bottom of the shoulder strap (where the padding ends). On the Oh Snap, it actually goes all the way down. So, in theory the Oh Snap's sternum strap can go a bit lower down. The webbing runner that the Ergo's sternum strap is on stops about 4 or so inches from the end of the shoulder straps BUT because the body of the Ergo is shorter (than the Boba 3G or Oh Snap) you use more length in the shoulder strap (because it starts lower on your back). Does that make sense?
Unfortunately I don't have a Kinderpack here to compare with. Hopefully someone else will chime in with that info!
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

you can also not use a chest strap for some. I don't ever use one on a kanga or beco 4G. Or you could buy a chest strap and just put it lower.....
Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahferret View Post
We are moving our toddler to back carries only since we have a new squish to wear on the front. The Ergo has a buckle that rides so high it tries to choke you when you do a back carry.

Where are the buckles on the Boba 3G and the KP toddler? A little lower? The Babyhawk has an adjustable buckle, but I havent heard much about it.
You know you can move the chest strap down, right?

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

The chest strap on the Ergo is adjustable. It's on a runner, can be raised or lowered.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
EastCoastWest
Registered
seller

Don't dicount your ERGO yet! Try moving the strap down for awhile and see how you like it. I have a 35lb toddler and I love my ERGO for him on my back.
EastCoastWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
clover
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
The chest strap on the Ergo is adjustable. It's on a runner, can be raised or lowered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastWest View Post
Don't dicount your ERGO yet! Try moving the strap down for awhile and see how you like it. I have a 35lb toddler and I love my ERGO for him on my back.
While the Ergo's sternum strap is adjustable, if the wearer has a long torso or is "plus" size it still may not go down far enough on the straps for their comfort. It's actually not that uncommon; soft structured carriers can be the hardest type of carrier to find a good match for if you are outside "average" body size/shape due to the little nuances like this one. The only real solution is to find a carrier with longer shoulder straps/a sternum strap that gets lower to accommodate the wearer's body shape/size better.
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
bkmd519
Registered Users
seller

I own a Kinderpack (plus size) and the strap is on runners and adjusts a whole lot. My husband is a very big guy (6' and a men's 4xish on top) and he wore my 3 month old (big like his dad, at 18ish lbs. already!) to rake leaves and around the yard last weekend, right after we got it. His exact words were "this is so comfortable, I could definitely wear him on my back for hours". I haven't worn him on my back yet, so I can't attest, but my husband is quite a bit bigger than I am, so I would think if it's comfy for him, it would be for most.
bkmd519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm 6' and the Ergo strap does not choke me. It is in a very comfortable spot across my sternum. Just adjust it.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
greencarnation
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't like back carries with the Ergo. If I put the chest clip above my boobs, it hurts my ribs and squishes my boobs funny. If I clip it below my boobs, he slides down and I have to arch my back funny and it hurts. :/