Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

Is CDing a NB cost effective?

I've been pondering this question lately and was wondering what the general consensus is. By the time you buy enough cloth diapers to cover the 10-12 diaper changes per day (plus the times when you use 5 diapers at a time because they poop more every time you get a clean one on them), and the few weeks that you use them before they grow out of them, is it more cost effective to use cloth or to just use sposies for the first couple of weeks?

Assuming you use prefolds and a few fitteds for nighttime and covers, can you really resell them for enough to make it worth the investment?

Advertisement

Honeybee1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is CDing a NB cost effective?

We decided to buy 24 newborn prefolds and 9 Prorap covers. By the time we bought the $12/40 sposies, I think we came out ahead if we sell them when we are done. We got approximately 7 weeks' use out of our newborn size cloth diapers. I think if you got good deals on the sposies you might come out ahead, but I couldn't stand the perfumed sposies.
greencrunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

We have used our prefolds through 2 babies, so that helps- and i don't find a need for different night dipes as you change at night too. I do think it is cost effective and using the prefolds on a less active infant helped my learning curve for prefolding a wiggly baby.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have pondered this question a lot, because whether or not we CD newborns in our CD ministry depends completely on this answer. I have come to the following conclusions (subject to change).

Sunbaby size 1 are good -- they seem to fit most of our newborns, and last until 20 pounds or more, and are very cost effective. If we are going to CD a newborn, that is usually what we would use. At worst they might need a few weeks of sposies until they fit.

I've also come to the conclusion that CD ONE newborn is not cost effective if you use the newbie stuff that goes up to 12 pounds, BUT when that little stash is handed around, it can last through many babies, and becomes cost effective over time.

I would not buy a newbie stash to be used for just one baby, unless it had fantastic resale value, but even then you'd probably barely break even, especially if you had a large baby that outgrew quickly.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

Yeah it is! You may spend more money to buy whatever diapers you need compared to sposies but you turn around and sell off those diapers when you are done. spending far less than what you would've spent for sposies.
This will be my third cd nb. I can totally justify the cost of the xs fb.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

so far both my girls have been too small for NB sposies so to get a fit that won't caus massive blow out I have to use preemie sized sposies about the first month.. We were spending about $9 per pack and a pack lasted about 2.5 days if REALLY lucky there were days we blew through almost a whole pack with my first DD.. We spent over $100 on sposies (not counting wipes) in the first 30 days of my DD life.. By the time shes was about 3 months and deffiently out of the NB stash stage (when we started usign the gerbers and I started looking into other CD options) we had spend in excess of $350 in sposies

Baby #2 I bought probably around the same amount money wise in cloth diapers in preemie and NB sized.. So in that way it was about even but...

1) I could have spent less at least $100-$150 of that money was mama wanted it and no other reason

2) I sold and got back around 40% of my stash something I deffiently couldn't do with sposies..

3) I had CORRECT fitting diapers and that alone was TOTALLY worth the investment.
Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Def think so. You cant resell a sposie so anything you get back off cloth is a savings
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With resale and basic systems like flats or prefolds I think it definitely is!
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
opheliaspins
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you go with prefolds and covers you can resell them or the prefold might come in handle as doublers in the future when the baby gets bigger. Or save them for next baby, use as burp cloths etc. Also my mom still has some old cloth diapers when I was little that are used as rags. I think in the long run you will get your money out of prefolds.
opheliaspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Maplecat
Registered Users
seller

My newborn stash of preemie and infant prefolds and prorap covers worked for my two boys, a friend's newborn, my niece, and I'll be using them on my daughter in a couple of months. The diapers are still in excellent condition and any money I recoup is a bonus. I do not regret buying a large newborn and infant stash.
Maplecat is offline   Reply With Quote