Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Josiekitty
Registered Users
seller

Starting cloth diaper next week, some help, please :)

HI moms out there,

I am planning to start using cloth diaper next week on my DD who is 15 months old. We will be using bummis covers w/ prefolds. I am not sure how to do w/ dirty diapers w/ pee and poop.

We plan to do laundry every other day or every 3 days. If the diaper just wet w/ pee, do I lay it in a bucket and that's it? If there is poop on the Prefold, what should I do? And do I need to use bleach in the washer or can I use my normal detergent without the softener?

I appreciate all advice.

Jenny

Advertisement

Josiekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Starting cloth diaper next week, some help, please :)

pee diapers jsut toss into the pail
poo shake off what you can depending you might want to invest in a diaper sprayer or flushable iners to make celan up easier but its not a must.
You can use your regular detergent use of bleach is optional I like to use a splash with each load other use it 1-2 a month oothers don't at all. I suggest using your detergents manfactures reccomended amounts for your load size and water condition.. You maybe have to tweek the amounts a bit double rinse.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
judeabug
Registered Users
seller

Deanna gave some good advice, I just wanted to add that if your LO is breastfed you don't need to do anything with the poop. It'll dissolve in the washing machine! If you start formula, or if your LO is eating any solid food you'll probably want to shake/spray it off before washing. Hope that helps!

WAHM behind Serwa Chic:Cloth Diapers, Nursing Covers, Wetbags & Long Sleeve Bibs!My Family Blog: Jenny.erally Speak.ing
judeabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeabug View Post
Deanna gave some good advice, I just wanted to add that if your LO is breastfed you don't need to do anything with the poop. It'll dissolve in the washing machine! If you start formula, or if your LO is eating any solid food you'll probably want to shake/spray it off before washing. Hope that helps!
Her baby is 15 months so I assumed even if breastfeeding (I'm nursing my 2 year old) he is also on solids..

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

congrats! For an older child dump the poop or use a sprayer to get it off and then put in a pail or wetbag. You're good to go!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If poop doesn't come off of the prefold easily, you will want to use a diaper sprayer or dunk and swish. Both of my kids at 15 months did not have plop-able poop, which is why I'm throwing that out there.
Bring your diaper pail to the bathroom with you when you do this so you don't have to carry a dripping diaper down the hallway.
Dunking and swishing is not fun but it gets the job done; I highly prefer a sprayer. Best $40 I have spent, mine is 3 years old and will be used for another few years. But either way works. I am not a fan of ANY poop chunks in my washing machine, so I make sure that all solid matter is off the diaper before putting it in the pail.
The good thing about 15 month olds is they should be down to 1 or 2 max poops a day (at least in my experience).
Good luck!
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote