Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
mdm81888
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question first time CD-er Q's

Hi! My hubby and I are currently TTC. We have decided to use Cloth diapers on our future babies.

Is there any advice you would give me CD or otherwise?

Do one-size diapers start at birth or is it better to buy newborn diapers?

Is it too much to try and make my own diapers before even having a kid?

Where are the best places to buy diapers used other than the FSOT?

Will it be too hard to CD, Breast Feed, and work full time?

What do I really need?

Advertisement

mdm81888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
rkw
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: first time CD-er Q's

One sized diapers did not fit my son until he was closer to 4 months but he was very tiny. I would suggest if you are doing a newborn cd that I would do prefolds and covers. One size generally start at 8lb and go to 35lbs. We started out with bgos 3.0 and then I added bgorganics which are bg elemental with aplix, and econobum covers and prefolds. It is nice to have a variety at least I thought. I like cotton babies for diapers other than fsot. I cd and work full time. I tried to bf but had issues with my schedule at work and issues with my son feeding. It is possible but takes a lot of commitment. You can easily make diapers if you know how to sew. If you want to make diapers there are lots of websites with info and the craft forum has great resources here. Good luck. There are great resources so just start reading now. I know there are website resources but I do not remember them now. I was up all night with a sick todder so I am a bit sleep deprived right now.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

Welcome and good luck on your TTC journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm81888 View Post
Hi! My hubby and I are currently TTC. We have decided to use Cloth diapers on our future babies.

Is there any advice you would give me CD or otherwise? I would suggest trying a lot of different styles before you invest in a full stash of one style. What I ended up loving was completely different from what I thought I would (prefolds and covers, instead of AIO or pocket-types)

Do one-size diapers start at birth or is it better to buy newborn diapers? I don't have any experience with diapering a newborn because I started when DS2 was 6 months old. However, I hear the one-size diapers don't start fitting well until 9-10 lbs. So depending on how big your baby is at birth, you might not be able to use them for a few weeks. There are newborn diaper rentals that you might consider for the first few weeks. www.dreamdiapers.com is one company I know of that does. That way you don't have to invest in a full set of newborn diapers and can use the store credit to buy bigger diapers when baby is older.

Is it too much to try and make my own diapers before even having a kid? Personally, I wouldn't. Unless you can get the materials cheaply or for free. You really won't know what style of diaper you like until you try them, and if you make a bunch of diapers before the baby is even born you might end up with a bunch of homemade diapers that you don't want to use.

Where are the best places to buy diapers used other than the FSOT? Not sure. I buy all mine new.

Will it be too hard to CD, Breast Feed, and work full time? That depends on your situation. Personally, I worked part time when my DS1 was a baby, and for three weeks after I came back from maternity leave with DS2. Breastfeeding was totally worth it to me to pump at work, and I invested in a good quality double electric pump (I highly suggest the Lansinoh or Ameda brand because they are more hygienic than the Medela designs). However, my caregivers for my sons wouldn't do cloth diapers, and the extra work didn't seem like it would fit into my life while working, so I didn't start CDing until after I quit work to stay at home. Looking back, though, I probably would have been fine CDing at least on my days at home and would have saved us money.

What do I really need? All you really need are enough diapers to get you through a day or two (24 seems to be plenty for an older baby, you might need up to 36 for a younger baby depending on how often you plan to wash) and if you use prefolds or fitteds, enough covers to be able to rotate between them...6 is usually a good average number. Plus a way to fasten prefolds...either pins or my favorite, Snappis. I have 24 prefolds, 6 covers, and 2 Snappis and that gets me through three days easily before I have to wash. There are things that are nice to have that make life easier, like cloth wipes, a diaper sprayer, a cloth wet bag and/or diaper pail liner that you can just toss in with the dirty diapers, etc., but you don't NEED them.
Honeybee1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
mdm81888
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas!
mdm81888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
allengin
Registered Users
seller

mdm81889: I'm due in May and in the exact same boat as you (hoping to BF, CD, and work FT - going back after 12 weeks). I've read a ton and feel like I have a good handle on everything except stripping (I'll cross this when needed!). I got a huge stash of diapers for cheap on craigslist. I've picked up a couple FSOT here, and started exploring some cheap NB options from WAHMs. I've mostly picked up pockets and AIOs in NB sizes but I think AI2s may be pretty easy, too. I really want to start CDing in the easiest (though likely not cheapest) way possible and start introducing tougher things later (non-EBF diapers, AI2s, fitteds and covers) once everyone (my, husband, care-giver) are comfortable with CDing. I've been patient and have tried really hard to get things at good prices, keeping in mind I can 1) reuse on later kids, and 2) resell if needed, but I've also read about NB rental/trial programs worked well for lots. My strategies are yet to be tested, but here's to hoping! Good luck TTC - stay in touch!
allengin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Haleybailey
Registered Users
seller

First of all welcome! I am in a similiar position, my DH and I are TTC #1. There is a thread in the TTC section. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1365684

Anyways, I agree with the above posters about onesize diapers. I have bought a various of different kinds for the newborn size. My favorite are the Kissaluv 0's with wool from here on FSOT. I am at an advantage that I lived with my niece from birth this past year and have been able to try different things out that I like.

You can definatly make diapers before baby is here, I have, but I have really only done nb and small so I can see what body type my baby has and what works best on him/her.

I have gotten the best deals at consignment stores. Especially the ones that know nothing about cloth diapers! I just recently bought two Grovia diapers with Organic inserts for $5/each! Although the best deal EVER, was 12 Happy Heiny's with inserts, 2 wetbags and wipes for $30 at a swap meet! Just keep your eyes open. The nice thing about getting stuff before you "need" them is that I dont feel bad about getting just the fun stuff.

As far as what do you need, it depends on your budget. If you're going to need daycare/nanny I would choose a pocket or an all in one. Atleast enough for the time you are away. Many moms use prefolds/covers at home to save on cost or just preference!

You can do it all! When you do get pregnant, go to LLL meeting to become familiar with the people so you will have a good support system when baby comes. CD is do-able and its only an extra load every couple days. I will say the perk of having a nanny is that she can bring baby to you to nurse and do diaper laundry.

Hope this was helpful and we would love to see you on the TTC #1 board!
Hi I'm Haley, wife to Joel. TTC #1 With PCOS. Going through acupunctureand clomid to build our family! Cloth diapering, tandem baby wearing and signing Nanny to baby D & M (Sept 2012)
Haleybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #7
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't answer all of your questions, because I didn't start CDing until DD was 5 months old. But I do BF, CD and work FT, so yes, it's possible. It might be difficult in the younger newborn stage, but it's doable. I like Kelly's Closet for diapers, they almost always have coupons for free ones with purchase and have a rewards program. I personally have not bought any used, I just hit the sales on Kelly's Closet and have a pretty decent stash.

I agree, I would wait until after baby is born to make diapers, unless you want to make NB ones. If you can find fabric on sale, it might work out cheaper that way.
mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
jemstar224
Registered Users

Hi, I am early in the cloth diapering game (son is 4.5 months now) but can answer a few questions! I definitely recommend some kind of newborn-sized diaper even if you're planning on doing OS later on. We inherited a bunch of BumGenius 3.0 one-size dipes and I still don't think they fit my boy very well--they just seem huge on him, especially between the legs, and he's average size for his age. Even though they're a little more expensive, I preferred newborn fitted diapers to prefolds because they seemed to hold BF poop in much better than a snappi'ed prefold. Green Mountain newborn fitteds work well and are an inexpensive option if you want new diapers, or you could look at other brands used here or on Craigslist etc.

Now that he's bigger I use a mix of workhorse diapers (we went through smalls and are now onto medium), BumGenius AIO in size small (they don't make these in sizes anymore, grr...), Thirsties Duo fab fitteds with a wool cover for night-time, and a few FuzziBunz and TotBots for variety. DS just started daycare so we save the BGs for them, and haven't had any problems yet (fingers crossed! it's still early).

I am now working full time, cloth diapering and still exclusively breastfeeding, so yes it can be done! It's not easy, but it hasn't been too bad. I was able to come back a few days a week before I came back full time and that helped both me and baby to transition. Get a good pump (I use an Ameda Purely Yours). Your baby might not like the same kind of bottle you think s/he will, so just buy one of a few kinds and see what works.

As for making your own diapers...I wouldn't bother, unless it's fun for you. I don't think you actually save money making your own as opposed to buying gently used stuff. I'd worry about durability, too, since these things will be washed and dried a LOT.

Good luck, and have fun!
jemstar224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
jemstar224
Registered Users

Sorry, double post!

Last edited by jemstar224; 03-15-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Double post
jemstar224 is offline   Reply With Quote