Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Re: "but formula is better than breastmilk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
To many of us, it is equal. I wouldn't not have argued as its how he was raised/his culture and its a very personal choice.

it's not his culture at all. these people all breastfed, until some sick company came in and used their fancy appearances and money to convince them that their product is better for babies than BM. but i didn't argue with him, he just didn't know so i explained and he got it no questions asked.

Advertisement

JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by basMama View Post
I don't think the opinion of a 18 year old man reflect the views of an entire country. I have family from El Salvador and it is a very poor country. Breastfeeding is very common there. Formula would be too expensive to purchase.
I have family from El Salvador as well...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't think the opinion of a 18 year old man reflect the views of an entire country. I have family from El Salvador and it is a very poor country. Breastfeeding is very common there. Formula would be too expensive to purchase.
Yes, the things I thought I understood at 18! It was not due to ignorance of my parents, my country, my neighborhood or my school. It had nothing to do with Nestle or any other big company doing anything in my country... it was simply my ignorance.

Seems like a leap you are taking. (Not saying Nestle didn't go places and do bad stuff, that has been well documented, just saying he's EIGHTEEN!)
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
that could be a contributing factor as to why he thinks it is better. who could imagine that something that is free could be so amazing?

when my granny had my dad, bfing was considered inferior, and something associated with the poor folks who didn't have money to buy "good" stuff. probably due to Nestle's marketing as well. they actually gave her medication in the hospital to help her milk go away faster thing was that she was poor, and simply didn't know any better. now that she see how healthy my boys are, she believes it is b/c of the breastmilk. my grandpa actually said, 'why didn't you bf, we could have saved so much money!!'
Exactly what i think. i felt bad for him when he said that. but at least I was able to get through to him, ya know?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Yes, the things I thought I understood at 18! It was not due to ignorance of my parents, my country, my neighborhood or my school. It had nothing to do with Nestle or any other big company doing anything in my country... it was simply my ignorance.

Seems like a leap you are taking. (Not saying Nestle didn't go places and do bad stuff, that has been well documented, just saying he's EIGHTEEN!)
he may just be 18, but an 18 year old american is far less experienced than an 18 year old from a third world country who has had to raise his brothers from the time they were babies so his mother and father could work. they are far less experienced than someone who has been without food, lived in horrible places where gang violence is rampant, etc. I really don't think you can compare the typical 18 year old american with an 18 year old who has lived somewhere like that.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I hope you didn't take my comment the worng way OP. I just wanted to say that this person's ignorance is not just of El Salvador, these attitudes are still much present today. Where I live breastfeeding is still not the norm. I still get judged for my choice to breastfeed and when I pump my milk and give it to my baby in public, some people get grossed out when I tell them it is breastmilk. I'm still trying to work up enough courage to NIP.
basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
erkelly
Registered Users
seller
seller

How sad! Although kudos to you for taking the opportunity to educate him rather than lash out at him or ignore his comment. Just think of the influence you may have had on him by talking peacefully about why breastfeeding is actually superior. It's moments like these that we need to act like you did and educate.
My step-son was 11 when I had my son, and this was his first time ever being around breastfeeding. He didn't understand it and was actually a little confused by it. He has lots of little cousins on his moms side, who all formula feed. He is now 13, and when my son gets cranky or hurts himself, he asks me if I think Cole needs to nurse. And this past weekend my son was in disposables because of our thrush, and my step-son noticed immediately we were using disposables. Before me, he had never seen cloth diapering before either! I am hopeful that because he has been introduced to things that he had never seen before, and now he understands it, that he will grow into a very smart adult and make the best choices for his family based on the truth. I would be so proud!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
I hope you didn't take my comment the worng way OP. I just wanted to say that this person's ignorance is not just of El Salvador, these attitudes are still much present today. Where I live breastfeeding is still not the norm. I still get judged for my choice to breastfeed and when I pump my milk and give it to my baby in public, some people get grossed out when I tell them it is breastmilk. I'm still trying to work up enough courage to NIP.
Oh no I didn't I was just saying that I too have family from El Salvador. Unfortunately I don't currently nurse. DS refused to latch, but we're working on bringing him back to breast. I have pumped in public! at the beach haha. i think it freaked some people out, even though i did cover myself because pumps just look weird.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkelly View Post
How sad! Although kudos to you for taking the opportunity to educate him rather than lash out at him or ignore his comment. Just think of the influence you may have had on him by talking peacefully about why breastfeeding is actually superior. It's moments like these that we need to act like you did and educate.
My step-son was 11 when I had my son, and this was his first time ever being around breastfeeding. He didn't understand it and was actually a little confused by it. He has lots of little cousins on his moms side, who all formula feed. He is now 13, and when my son gets cranky or hurts himself, he asks me if I think Cole needs to nurse. And this past weekend my son was in disposables because of our thrush, and my step-son noticed immediately we were using disposables. Before me, he had never seen cloth diapering before either! I am hopeful that because he has been introduced to things that he had never seen before, and now he understands it, that he will grow into a very smart adult and make the best choices for his family based on the truth. I would be so proud!
oh that's awesome! I'm sure he will grow up to make these great choices!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He probably thinks it is better because it is a 'modern and expensive' thing that more well off countries have easy access to.