Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
hauser
Registered Users
seller

Re: "but formula is better than breastmilk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
9 years ago I was living in Tennessee when I had my son. People would tell me all the time how "sad" it was that I breastfed- Only poor people breastfed. I had people offer to buy me formula.
Studies show that more educated women tend to breastfeed...tell them that

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
To many of us, it is equal. I wouldn't not have argued as its how he was raised/his culture and its a very personal choice.
I am not trying to be rude...but just how is it equal? I am not "anti-formula" nor do I think it is poison or something but it is not equal. Babies can thrive and do on formula but it is not equal.

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauser View Post

I am not trying to be rude...but just how is it equal? I am not "anti-formula" nor do I think it is poison or something but it is not equal. Babies can thrive and do on formula but it is not equal.
I have to agree. I only got to give bm(by way of pump and bottle) for 4.5mos for dd1 and a couple of oz for about 10days with dd2 so I am not against formula.at.all My kids are smart healthy little ppl thanks to formula! but it is not equal to breast milk.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
november
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't even let comments like that rile me up. There's no point in it when it's clearly not true. It's no different for me when people like my FIL claim that Kraft macaroni and cheese is healthy and McDonalds uses 100% pure beef in their hamburgers. Go on ahead and believe it if you want to but just because that's what you think, it doesn't make it true. Joke's on you, lol.

And this is coming from a formula feeder, btw.

november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #24
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
To many of us, it is equal. I wouldn't not have argued as its how he was raised/his culture and its a very personal choice.
If someone says to you "breastfeeding is better. only uneducated people formula feed." Would you let it go? Judgements like that, especially ones that generalized and untrue, suck. I would have spoke up too. I probably wouldn't make a huge stink about it, but I would say something. I hate that no matter what we do we get judged. I feel judged when I breastfeed. I feel judged when I bottle feed.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #25
loving my family
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
If someone says to you "breastfeeding is better. only uneducated people formula feed." Would you let it go? Judgements like that, especially ones that generalized and untrue, suck. I would have spoke up too. I probably wouldn't make a huge stink about it, but I would say something. I hate that no matter what we do we get judged. I feel judged when I breastfeed. I feel judged when I bottle feed.
Yep I agree there are many of reasons for women to breast or formula feed. It does not mean 1 loves there children more than the other.
My sis had to formula feed so she could start taking her seizure meds again, she quit them from the time she found out she was pregnant she did not want the negative side effects to happen to her dd. She breast fed for 9 wks but she started having lots of seizures
& this is coming from a breast feeding mom
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Wasn't there a number of babies in China who died from bad formula? And I remember reading that many women in China formula feed because the formula companies made the women think breast milk was bad and formula better.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was reading an article in US Weekly about Snooki being pregnant (that fact alone worries me for her offspring), and she said she wanted to breastfeed b/c it burns calories. Her fiance said that he didn't want her to because he just couldn't believe that it was actually better for the baby. Just saying that it's not like it's just in other countries where they think formula is better.

Although, I"m sure these two haven't really done much research on it (obviously). Take it with a huge grain of salt. Hopefully too many people aren't really following their examples anyway.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There was also a couple babies recently who they think died from some formula contamination from Enfamil? I don't know if they ever figured out exactly what happened but it's unfortunate.

Personally, I have done both for varying reasons and periods of time. My twins were bottle fed breastmilk for about 6wks and I had to go back to school. That might not be an obstacle for some, or even if I went to school now, but at 16 I wasn't comfortable pumping at school nor were there electrical outlets in the bathroom and the high school didn't really have to make accommodations for me. Graduating from high school was one of my top priorities. I was thankful for WIC otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it!
My 3rd was FF from about 3 days old on, my milk never really came out and I was so engorged and swollen it wasn't even funny. I tried pumping, hand expressing, hot compress, showers, Advil, cabbage leaves. The home nurse finally said she was a little worried. I ended up really sick on day 10 and in the hospital, first with seizures and then heart failure. Due to the anti-seizure and heart meds I couldn't BF not to mention after a week apart and clinging to life I wasn't really producing milk anyway.
My 4th had breastmilk jaundice and I was told to stop breastfeeding or it could cause him permanent brain damage. I know NOW that's not true and he would have been fine at the levels he was at. :-(
My 5th I was dead set on BFing. I did supplement from time to time with formula, mainly when he was diagnosed with a milk allergy and I was told by the LC/RN to give him some soy formula to help clear out his system. At 4mos PP I had PPD and started Zoloft which made me sick and I couldn't eat and my supply literally disappeared in 3 days despite oatmeal, extra water, pumping, etc. :-(
This time I'm 3mos of EBFing #6 and so far so good! I've had 2 surgeries in that time and was able to pump enough in advance for the day of surgery and dumped the first one after my 1st surgery and didn't dump after my 2nd surgery and was able to pump enough for him while I recovered. My gallbladder removal was pretty painful and I couldn't hold him to nurse. Dh would wake me up at night when he needed me to pump more milk. The last surgery damaged my uvula and I couldn't eat much for almost 10 days but my milk hung in there! Even though I have 7 sample cans of formula here and have had it as an emergency backup while I was in the hospital, we haven't had to use it once! It's quite an accomplishment for me really. :-)
While I know mama milk is superior, I don't think there's anything wrong with using formula. I know many mamas who chose to never even attempt breastfeeding and go straight to formula from birth. That's their choice!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #29
basMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
I was reading an article in US Weekly about Snooki being pregnant (that fact alone worries me for her offspring), and she said she wanted to breastfeed b/c it burns calories. Her fiance said that he didn't want her to because he just couldn't believe that it was actually better for the baby. Just saying that it's not like it's just in other countries where they think formula is better.

Although, I"m sure these two haven't really done much research on it (obviously). Take it with a huge grain of salt. Hopefully too many people aren't really following their examples anyway.
I read that too, but then again I read that they thought a newborn ate like four times a day
basMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
9 years ago I was living in Tennessee when I had my son. People would tell me all the time how "sad" it was that I breastfed- Only poor people breastfed. I had people offer to buy me formula.
uughh...hate that train of thought When DD was little, I was sitting on a bench nursing her and this lady & her teenage daughter were window shopping in the stores in front of me...I hear them talking about getting the girl a boob job so she'll "look better for senior pictures" Then I see them glance my way, the girl whisper something to her mom, and the mom says in that 'let's be loud and talk crap about somebody without saying to their face' tone/volume "OH MY GOD! honey, when you have kids, if you're so broke you have to resort to THAT, let us know so we can buy you formula, that's just so sad she has to do that", then they walked away. And it doesn't matter if you're rich or poor--breastfeeding is FREE!! who doesn't like free??!!