Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

GBS+

Google is scary, any gbs+ mamas? I have had it and been treated with antibiotics at the beginning of the pregnancy. I didn't have it with dd - her entire labor was less than 8 hrs & I was only in the hospital for 2 - not enough time to treat it. This time will be at home. I am only 33.5 wks right now and will be swabbed for it at 36 - it has been recommended I do tons of garlic before then. Any advice/experiences?

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS+

Some midwives will hang IV antibiotics for you in labour at home, if you want. I have tested positive once, and "had" to have a hospital birth. After doing some more research, I decided not to test in my last pregnancy or in this one. Have you considered that option? If I test positive, my midwives are somewhat duty bound to tell me to have a hospital birth with IV antibiotics. (in our area, they can't give them at home right now.) But, they are totally OK with me just declining the test.

The chances of passing GBS to your baby even if you are positive are really quite slim. And, giving antibiotics unnecessarily can cause it's own set of problems, from stomach issues for you and baby, to thrush and breast/nipple pain from that, to allergic reactions, etc. Of course, the tricky part is that if your baby gets it, it can be pretty serious. From what I read, it seemed that the biggest risk factors for passing GBS to your baby are:
having a preterm baby (before 37 weeks),
a long labour with waters broken,
having an unexplained fever during labour,
and having had a GBS bladder infection during your pregnancy.

Since I have had none of those problems, and my babies are typically delivered within an hour of my water breaking, I'm OK with skipping the test. My midwives will also monitor my baby carefully after the birth to watch for any signs of infection.

However, if you want to test, but you want to have the best chance at a negative test, then I'd recommend garlic, both by mouth, and, if you really want a negative result, inserted vaginally, probiotics, and really good hygiene, especially in public washrooms. And ALWAYS wipe front to back.

All the best with your homebirth! It's a lovely way to have a baby.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

They will do antibiotics at home, just afraid it wouldn't be enough time for them to actually do anything. It is recommended to get at least two doses and a space of 2hrs after the 2nd dose - that would be longer than my first labor from first cramp/sick feeling to birth.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
They will do antibiotics at home, just afraid it wouldn't be enough time for them to actually do anything. It is recommended to get at least two doses and a space of 2hrs after the 2nd dose - that would be longer than my first labor from first cramp/sick feeling to birth.
Ha! That's got to be a rule made by a man! Here the "rule" is get one round in over four hours before delivery. I was 10 minutes short, and that after doing whatever we could to try to slow things down. But no one made any fuss over it.

Anyways, discuss your options with your midwife, and come up with a plan that you can both be happy with.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightblonde View Post
I have had it with all four of my kids, I have fast births. My last one who is 10 days old labor was start to finish 3 hours. I got to the hospital at 6 he was born at 7:35. anyway my MW told me an IV antib only takes 5 minutes to work, I only had one bag in that hour.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
Ha! That's got to be a rule made by a man! Here the "rule" is get one round in over four hours before delivery. I was 10 minutes short, and that after doing whatever we could to try to slow things down. But no one made any fuss over it.

Anyways, discuss your options with your midwife, and come up with a plan that you can both be happy with.
funny the pedi said the same thing and would not let me check out till he was watched for 48 hours since I was GBS and only had one bag. I told the MW this and she said "no its only 5 minutes" (like I said above) and she said "I will have to tell him the new GBS guide lines"
Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it w/ DD3 and got antis at my BC. I plan to test for it again this time but I'm taking priobiotics right now hoping it will help.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my first we didn't know my status cause cause dd decided to come before I was tested. I was in a hospital, only 36wks along and my water had broken very early on, so they gave me antibiotics. Everything turned out fine.
With my second, I tested positive. Again it was a hospital birth and my water breaking was my first sign of labor. So again I got the antibiotics and thankfully we had no complications.
With my 3rd I again tested positive, but was planning a homebirth. There is a peroxide that for the life of me I can not think of the name right now, but a lot of people use that instead of the antibiotics. I think it's sommething like before any vaginal checks and while the woman is pushing you're suppoed to rinse the area with the peroxide and it's just as effective as antibiotics. I'm kind of fuzzy on the detainls, but it's something like that. Anyway, my midwives agreed to go that route if my water broke early like with my other 2. But it ended up not being neseccary. My 3rd labor was super fast and my water didn't break til just a few min before she came out. She didn't get sick and everything was great.
If you can find out about that rinse it may be your best option. I just wish I could remember the damn name! Your midwife may know, or someone else here. I think it starts with an H?
Proud Army wife and sahm to The Chickie 2/26/05, The Monkey 6/13/08 and The Little Miss 8/15/10 Due in Aug with #4
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi621 View Post
With my first we didn't know my status cause cause dd decided to come before I was tested. I was in a hospital, only 36wks along and my water had broken very early on, so they gave me antibiotics. Everything turned out fine.
With my second, I tested positive. Again it was a hospital birth and my water breaking was my first sign of labor. So again I got the antibiotics and thankfully we had no complications.
With my 3rd I again tested positive, but was planning a homebirth. There is a peroxide that for the life of me I can not think of the name right now, but a lot of people use that instead of the antibiotics. I think it's sommething like before any vaginal checks and while the woman is pushing you're suppoed to rinse the area with the peroxide and it's just as effective as antibiotics. I'm kind of fuzzy on the detainls, but it's something like that. Anyway, my midwives agreed to go that route if my water broke early like with my other 2. But it ended up not being neseccary. My 3rd labor was super fast and my water didn't break til just a few min before she came out. She didn't get sick and everything was great.
If you can find out about that rinse it may be your best option. I just wish I could remember the damn name! Your midwife may know, or someone else here. I think it starts with an H?
Hibiclense
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaratliff View Post
Hibiclense
Thank you!!! It was driving me crazy!
Proud Army wife and sahm to The Chickie 2/26/05, The Monkey 6/13/08 and The Little Miss 8/15/10 Due in Aug with #4
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote