Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Help me "MAKE" a bento box...

I am buying my dh a LARGE bento lunch box from Lock & Lock on Amazon, because he eats a ton, and it will save $ as he often has to eat on the run. He is picky and a brown bag doesn't protect and present the food well for him. (He's an awesome dh, just a bit picky of his food .)

OK- so the kids and I need to pack lunches often. I was looking at these:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/k...uctId=10025083

which are cool looking, and cheap, but I don't like the idea of flipping one compartment upside down, as I've been making some super-cute bento food creations that would get messed up that way.

I've seen the Ziploc divided containers in stores- too tiny!!!

SO- how could I make a larger capacity bento box for me and 3 kids??? I'd like 4 compartments, 3 minimum, but 6c capacity is about as SMALL as we can go. We eat a healthy diet and and we are very active. We eat a lot!!!

Anyhoo, just wondering if some crafty mama on here has a good solution.

TIA!

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me "MAKE" a bento box...

I always just used the bpa free containers. The divided ones are perfect to store salad toppings. I do the wet toppings in the big area so like avo chunks, shredded carrot, tomato, or even chicken, etc. then dressing in a small and any dry toppings like cheese or croutons, crushed tortilla chips, etc in the other. My DH then can build his own salad and have it not be soggy. Same concept for MYO sandwiches. I just pack the bread separately.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no advice, everything we do has to go in separate containers for dh. I just have to giggle- My dh is crazy about food too.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I am looking at easy lunchboxes, pretty BLAH, and small, but they might work, and Goodbyn larges or smalls, not sure which would be better.

I want something without extra pieces for the kids to lose. If I pack a lunch with 4 containers, they manage to lose 2... plus 3 lids!!! And in the car, a tray with everything in place seems helpful.

Planetbox and Go Green lunchboxes seem awesome, but Planetbox is $$$ and Go Green's are reviewed to not last much more than 1 year of daily use, which sucks.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote