Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #111
NATTYBATSMOM's Avatar
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 5,725
My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Where does the government mandate free Viagra?

If an insurance company or pharmacy decides to make a particular drug free, then they do so out of a business decision. Perhaps they think that they will get loyalty from their customers if they give them free Viagra.

I tend to use the pharmacy that charges the least for the prescriptions I use the most. It's purely business.
Just seems to me that a lot of insurance policies of late have been put into place to punish women. If you get a cesarean, it can be a lot harder to get private insurance in the first place.

I don't know if it is government mandated or not though (and I did see the thing on where Viagra can be used for life saving procedures but we know that that is not why it is usually used and it's definitely not how the use of the drug is advertised) but for sure, if birth control shouldn't be free than neither should Viagra for ED.

I know many on here don't see it but from where I stand, there does seem to be more at play here than just finances. I really do think that there is an attack on women themselves at play here. There is a backlash against women happening that many are not seeing and maybe it's because on here, so many do follow the Bible and feel that they shouldn't have an equal hand. But that's all I'm going to say on that as I realize that's another entire topic.

Advertisement

__________________
Janeen
Mom to Natalie (12/27/05) , and Isabelle (7/20/10)
I've taken The Mom Pledge, have you?
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #112
NATTYBATSMOM's Avatar
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 5,725
My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamanMoore View Post
Most pro-lifers believe life begins at conception, since the pill flushes out embryos and makes the lining of the uterus to thin to allow implantation (in other words causes abortions), we really can't be behind this imitative at all.
A lot of people don't know that the progesterone in he pill causes abortions, IUD like Mirena do too. So those countries just have lower rates of doctor-preformed abortions, not necessarily fewer aborts happening.
We can disagree about the issue, I just thought I'd try to explain one reason why pro-lifers aren't seeing this as any sort of solution.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum (probably while nursing) - sorry for weird spelling errors
You know breastfeeding does the same thing right? Breastfeeding changes the hormones to lessen the phase between ovulation and the period so unless you're not having sex at all while breastfeeding, you could have a fertilized egg getting flushed out.

And yes, I know it's been pointed out that other factors make it unlikely BUT can one be absolutely sure that having sex while breastfeeding hasn't ever caused a fertilized egg to be lost?
__________________
Janeen
Mom to Natalie (12/27/05) , and Isabelle (7/20/10)
I've taken The Mom Pledge, have you?
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #113
NATTYBATSMOM's Avatar
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 5,725
My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post

ESPECIALLY when our economy and job situation is so dire, and there are so many other issues that really really need our governments attention.
YES! Exactly! WHY are they focusing on THIS?! What is the logic behind it? Is it that they feel if they can get women back into "their place" then the unemployment issue will quietly go away because the jobs will be free for the men to take?
__________________
Janeen
Mom to Natalie (12/27/05) , and Isabelle (7/20/10)
I've taken The Mom Pledge, have you?
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #114
NATTYBATSMOM's Avatar
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 5,725
My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsie View Post
Hmmm chocolate, eh. I wonder if we can come up with a way to make that debatable, too?
Oh yes, milk and dark vs white! lol
__________________
Janeen
Mom to Natalie (12/27/05) , and Isabelle (7/20/10)
I've taken The Mom Pledge, have you?
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #115
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
Just seems to me that a lot of insurance policies of late have been put into place to punish women. If you get a cesarean, it can be a lot harder to get private insurance in the first place.

I don't know if it is government mandated or not though (and I did see the thing on where Viagra can be used for life saving procedures but we know that that is not why it is usually used and it's definitely not how the use of the drug is advertised) but for sure, if birth control shouldn't be free than neither should Viagra for ED.

I know many on here don't see it but from where I stand, there does seem to be more at play here than just finances. I really do think that there is an attack on women themselves at play here. There is a backlash against women happening that many are not seeing and maybe it's because on here, so many do follow the Bible and feel that they shouldn't have an equal hand. But that's all I'm going to say on that as I realize that's another entire topic.
I guarantee you that there is no government policy mandating free Viagra for any purpose. In fact, I am unaware of any insurance company that provides any medication with no copay. IME we have serious competition between pharmacies in Central Ohio. Many provide certain generic meds free of charge in an effort to draw loyalty from customers. It is a business decision. AFAIK Viagra isn't in any pharmacy's list of free med.

Viagra for any purpose is not analogous to contraception. They are very different meds with very different effects on the body. I know people get all up in arms that insurance covers Viagra, but honestly businesses are going to do what is profitable for them.

Honestly, I see the opposite issue with women here. The idea that the government is advocating that poor women are incapable of controlling their reproductive life without the government trying to make it free to not reproduce is ridiculous.
__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #116
NATTYBATSMOM's Avatar
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 5,725
My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I guarantee you that there is no government policy mandating free Viagra for any purpose. In fact, I am unaware of any insurance company that provides any medication with no copay. IME we have serious competition between pharmacies in Central Ohio. Many provide certain generic meds free of charge in an effort to draw loyalty from customers. It is a business decision. AFAIK Viagra isn't in any pharmacy's list of free med.

Viagra for any purpose is not analogous to contraception. They are very different meds with very different effects on the body. I know people get all up in arms that insurance covers Viagra, but honestly businesses are going to do what is profitable for them.

Honestly, I see the opposite issue with women here. The idea that the government is advocating that poor women are incapable of controlling their reproductive life without the government trying to make it free to not reproduce is ridiculous.
That's good to know.

For the record, I don't think that there should be a mandate of making birth control free. But I don't think the government should have the right to make it impossible for women to get birth control altogether (free or not) and my concern is that this is the direction we are heading in.
__________________
Janeen
Mom to Natalie (12/27/05) , and Isabelle (7/20/10)
I've taken The Mom Pledge, have you?
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #117
z2akids's Avatar
z2akids
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,418
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
That's good to know.

For the record, I don't think that there should be a mandate of making birth control free. But I don't think the government should have the right to make it impossible for women to get birth control altogether (free or not) and my concern is that this is the direction we are heading in.
I don't see us heading in that direction. Birth control coverage is what it has been. President Obama wants to expand that coverage dramatically - putting payment for birth control onto everyone by requiring that all plans cover it without a copay. Recent attempts by the Catholic Church and other organizations to stop President Obama from this requirement doesn't limit birth control. These organizations are simply trying to stop the expansion.

Free or inexpensive birth control is currently available from a variety of sources. Honestly, if a person can afford to pay their copay, shouldn't they pay it?

Just because the government mandates that people don't have to pay when they get their prescription doesn't make that prescription free. Spreading the cost out to everyone does not make it any less expensive. It only means that we are all paying for it rather than charitable organizations like PP using their funds for those who cannot afford birth control.
__________________
Jennifer
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #118
MamaNae's Avatar
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,365
My Mood:
Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

IMO those insane bills are basically the Onion of bills.

They are insane, stupid bills without a snowballs chance in he(( of going through put up by STATE reps who are ticked off by crap happening on a Fed level.

There are state reps ticked off by the whole birth control mandate...for whichever reason. Either the cost sharing aspect, the mandate that Catholic churches pay for birth control coverage for their nuns or whatever. So they put out some wildly crazy bill limiting birth control coverage for everyone. IMO, they don't really want to ban birth control. They just want to show the people how equally ridic the fed bill is.

Like say, I'm a state Representative for the great state of Iowa...all of the sudden under the CPSTI (or whatever it's called) the feds seek to ban all soft baby carriers because of those handful of babies that died Well I'm a state rep and this federal bill makes me angry. So in response I draft a bill that bans the sell of strollers in Iowa because of those cases where babies in strollers roll in front of subways and buses.

I don't actually want to ban strollers. I just want to show everyone how utterly stupid it is to ban soft carriers...

These anti-contraception bills really don't have a chance of passing. Why they're even gaining so much attention is beyond me...but this bill mandating $0 copay birth control does stand a chance of passing so in response states are exerting their rights and throwing little minor temper tantrums by proposing silly bills...




annnd, if my body wasn't so wacky about birth control I **still** would not be able to take it because we already pay so much for my husband's medications...we can't afford to add yet another however much onto that bill. So...since we can't afford the copay and we for sure can't afford another child (nor should we have one considering my husband's health) we are as responsible as we can be by abstaining during fertile times *shrug*
__________________
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 03-18-2012 at 04:07 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.