Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #41
H's mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: This is how I feel about the BC debate

Quote:
He's the difference - babies aren't diseases. I know, I know, it's fetus, not a baby. And we mom's all know that. We would never dream of calling OUR children people until they're born, because before that they're just blobs of cells and stuff.
Personally I've refer to both of my sons as my "baby" as soon as knew I was pregnant. I didn't wait to make sure that what was indeed kicking around in my uterus. And I can't believe that other peoples babies aren't babies unless they're wanted, planned and prepared for. I can't say "I wanted to have this baby, therefore a baby is what it is, however you are in no position to get pregnant thus your baby is simply not a baby."
We can't define a person's human-ness by whether or not their life is convenient, inside or outside the womb.
Agreed, babies are not diseases. My point is that insurance covers medical costs that are the result of life choices like smoking and bad eating habits. So, along those lines, it should also cover the medical costs of sexually active women (and men too-- to treat STDs, and you'd think that sexually active men who aren't ready to be fathers would be in favor of BC coverage for their female partners; it's cheaper than 18 years of child support after all.)

Quote:
Off-topic I know, but this is what disturbs me. The politicians who are waging this war against birth control coverage, or birth control in general, are the same ones who want to do away with places like Planned Parenthood. Yes, if I can't afford birth control and the government doesn't want to force insurance companies to cover it, I can go to Planned Parenthood. Except if these politicians had their way, there wouldn't be any Planned Parenthood either. It is this bigger war on women that worries me. If you can't afford birth control and your insurance doesn't cover it and then politicians cut all funding for Planned Parenthood, well what options are left? And I guess you could say just don't have sex, but we all know that won't happen. So instead there will be more abortions, or more kids in foster care, or more parents on assistance. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense. Which is why it seems rather obvious to me that the root of this has nothing to do with money (birth control is MUCH less expensive than prenatal care, delivery, and assistance), and everything to do with the personal opinions on birth control of these politicians. It is no coincidence that the politicians who argue this most are also vehemently against premarital sex and are very religious.
Totally agree.

Advertisement

H's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #42
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
My family pays a health insurance premium (almost $300 a month to be exact) and we still have to pay $530 every 3 months for medication...

And it wasn't 'lifestyle' choices that led to my DH being diabetic...unless he was a really bad boy before he could walk...he was diagnosed when he was 13 months old...
I didn't say anything about lifestyle choices or what other insurances do. I was just describing the difference between $0 copay and free.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
I didn't say anything about lifestyle choices or what other insurances do. I was just describing the difference between $0 copay and free.
Sorry, I was referring to previous posters who say that ins companies cover diseases caused by lifestyle choices. Diabetes is often seen as a 'choice' you choose to eat a poor diet and get diabetes (type 2) my husband is type 1...completely different.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh dear, I should have known it would go into a debate. Maybe my title was not correct. What I was trying to comment on was not the whole free bc issue, but the issue that no matter what a women does in terms of family planning, she will always be criticized about one or all of her choices by one or more groups of people. It was more the notion that we are doomed (by someone) no matter what we choose to do.

This is what I get for posting and running!!! LOL.

I think I'm going to edit the OP and put this there too.

I will take some time tonight to read all the responses. Sorry if I misled you!
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #45
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Oh dear, I should have known it would go into a debate. Maybe my title was not correct. What I was trying to comment on was not the whole free bc issue, but the issue that no matter what a women does in terms of family planning, she will always be criticized about one or all of her choices by one or more groups of people. It was more the notion that we are doomed (by someone) no matter what we choose to do.

This is what I get for posting and running!!! LOL.

I think I'm going to edit the OP and put this there too.

I will take some time tonight to read all the responses. Sorry if I misled you!
and We seem to be a bunch today anyway. We've already managed to get 2 threads locked. I think we haven't had enough chocolate today.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #46
MuffinMania
Banned

Quote:
We can't define a person's human-ness by whether or not their life is convenient, inside or outside the womb.
Yes!
MuffinMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
and We seem to be a bunch today anyway. We've already managed to get 2 threads locked. I think we haven't had enough chocolate today.
Hmmm chocolate, eh. I wonder if we can come up with a way to make that debatable, too?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #48
7yrslater
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Fact is there ARE places that provide low cost birth control (public health departments, planned parenthood, etc)...

Last time I checked no one gave cancer patients their chemo without co-insurance, no one gives diabetics their insulin without a co-pay, no one gives AIDS patients their medications without a co-pay, no one gives heart patients their heart medication without a co-pay. Why should birth control be any different?

When cancer patients, diabetics, transplant patients, AIDS patients....other people with chronic, life threatening illnesses who are lucky enough to have private insurance get ALL of their medication for a $0 copay I'll be okay with birth control being $0 copay until that day I call BS...
RIGHT. ON.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #49
MuffinMania
Banned

There are also many places that are giving out free condoms. My BFF lives in CA and said that kids as young as TWELVE can get a package.
MuffinMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #50
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

I wonder and worry about the long-term effects of birth control. It's not without it's side-effects. I've even heard that it could be linked to certain cancers. I mean, we're essentially screwing with the natural hormones in a woman's body. I think birth control is something that women should very carefully consider before taking it, especially if it's something they plan on taking for YEARS on end.

So, the fact that people want to make birth control free for everybody, (which include very young girls who could be on it for much of their fertile life), and therefore incredibly accessible, makes we worry that in 10-30 years we're going to see major repercussions when it comes to women's reproductive health.

FTR, I was on birth control for a while before #1, and then tried the minipill after #2. I couldn't deal with the side-effects so I quit. We're currently TTA, but I just can't bring myself to use hormonal birth control so we're using other methods.

Last edited by DesertRat; 03-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote