Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

No bikinis for little girls?

We are expecting a little girl this August and I am realizing I am in a whole new world with this. Looking at swim ware for little girls I am thinking bikinis are a little over the top.

Some far more than others but to not hurt feelings with family buying things for DD rules need to be all or nothing. So I am thinking of having a no bikini rule. Do you do this? Do you have other clothing or other rules for things you don't allow with little girls?

These issues never really crossed my mind when having a little boy.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

We do no bikini (she's now 4) and we don't do barbies, brats, or really short skirts or tops. We are very open with people about it.
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Re: No bikinis for little girls?

We are a no bikini house! I might bend on the two piece swimsuites where the top is a tee shirt and then the bottoms are separate. But that would be pushing it. We also do no spaghetti strapped shirts, for the most part no tank tops. Shorts pretty much need to go down to the knees, dresses the same. I have issues with the clothes out on the market today. Now that my older dd has moved up to the "big" girl clothes she's getting lots of outfits made by me this year. It's so hard to find decent clothes for girls!
WAHM wife to DH since 2004, momma to ds 2005, dd 2007 and our latest edition dd June 2011! We are a homeschooling, bfeeding, clothdiapering, babywearing family! Making diapers has become my obsession! http://www.etsy.com/shop/anibows?ref=si_shop , http://www.anibows.com/anibums---diapers.html
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have a daughter, but with each pregnancy (we didn't find out the genders, excepting with the last) i made my particular feelings on modesty known. They were free to buy within those guidelines..... or free to send things and just know i would "alter" them as i saw fit (eg add a sweater or white shirt under something sleeveless, etc)....They were conversely also free to buy us nothing. I am religious and my in-laws are not, so DH and i set our rules and just let it be known when people would ask our preferences. I would never "declare" it to someone who was gifting me something per say but i also wouldn't feel obligated to put it on my child either.

In my household bikinis are a no go - tankinis are OK as long as their stomachs are covered.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I don't allow bikini swimsuits or regular shorts for my girls--have you seen how shorts little girls' shorts are nowadays? They are like daisy dukes. My girl wear capris or burmuda shorts in summer, which come down on the leg about as far as my sons' jeanshorts.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
No bikinis and dresses have to be at least knee length. ODD once got a dress that was literally skin tight (as in you had to stretch it to get it on) from my cousin. She did not wear it - her little sister (MDD) did and it was cute on her. My cousin's girls were wearing the same size and they were bigger than she was
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We don't have any rules one way or the other, but I bought my daughter a one piece for last year and now another one piece for this year (she'll be 2). I wish that I'd bought her a two piece. It would so much easier getting to her diaper if her whole swimsuit didn't have to come off!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: No bikinis for little girls?

We are a no bikini house still and our daughter is 9. We also don't allow pants with words on the butt.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
DaisyDiaper728
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
We do no bikini (she's now 4) and we don't do barbies, brats, or really short skirts or tops. We are very open with people about it.

Same here!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke789 View Post
We don't have any rules one way or the other, but I bought my daughter a one piece for last year and now another one piece for this year (she'll be 2). I wish that I'd bought her a two piece. It would so much easier getting to her diaper if her whole swimsuit didn't have to come off!
This makes sense! I would do two piece that covers the belly and everything but I have seen bikinis that are like the too skimpy womens one. To be honest I am not overly modest or overly showy. I just couldn't believe the string bikinis for babies. I don't like to see women in them.

I have seen the too short shorts and the little girls bras with underwire and padding. It drives me crazy. A 10 year old does not need underwire or padding. A nice sports bra/ training bra should be enough at that stage. I also do not like the words on the butt. So that is likely a no go too. It seems shopping is going to get much harder for this LO.