Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Mama's who use moslty flats!!

I have lots of questions for you I am really loving my diaper rite larges but had a few questions before I invest in some more larges and some smalls.

Do you ever get sick of folding? I love it now but am scared I will get worn out someday.

When did you start using them for a new little one? Like, when will a pad folded flat look not too bulky on a baby (original size 27x27)?

Does anyone have any pictures of a pad folded flat on a newborn or less then 3 month old?

Thanks!! I am so torn between flats and prefolds...

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
greenmama52
Registered Users
seller

Re: Mama's who use moslty flats!!

I started using flats from a few months old, but I used pins and a kite fold. I can't think that padfolded would be great on a newborn, only because the EBF poop will probably get on the cover every time. I stopped using flats around 18months when my DD refused to hold still long enough for me to fasten them.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Yeah, my daughter is just turning 10 months and throws a fit every time we change her... Though I have them prefolded - so they are just like my flips used to be. Maybe I should wait before buying some more..
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
greenmama52
Registered Users
seller

I do still use them as inserts, or I lay them in my AMPs (like Applecheeks) as an AI2. I also use them padfolded in a wool pull on cover sort of like a pull up. I love how easy they wash and dry.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I find folding to be kinda fun...just because of the routine of it all. You may wake up and get sick of it one day, but right now I'm still folding away! I sold all my prefolds in favor of flats (and I had wonderful GMD prefolds!). They wash more thoroughly without the layers and dry super-duper fast! Plus I love that if you are going to take them on vacation or camping or whatever they are a snap to wash by hand (prefolds...not so much) and dry quick enough that you don't have to take a ton of diapers. I probably wouldn't use padfold on a newborn if you are EBF just because of the poo, but with a small flat it really wouldn't be more bulky than a prefold IMO. I love the padfold for older ones just for simplicity!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
mama_ry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love folding my flats. It's relaxing to me. I just fold them when they come out of the dryer so they'll be ready to go for changes.

With the right fold flats can work on a newborn. I'd do the origami fold for a newborn instead of padfolding though.
mama_ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 2 dozen flats (and some fitteds and some pf's on the way) I just pad fold them. I was never able to find a fold that would go around ds' tummy and actually stay on. I love how trim they are and they hold so much too!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used flats only for about 2 years. I loved how easy they were to wash. Our water at our old house was horrible and I could find a routine that didnt include bleach and sanitary cycle. So I used them padfolded in about 18 covers and pockets. I used the oragami fold on a newborn and HATED it. It just didnt contain! So I went back to Prefolds till he outgrew the poo every change stage. I did get really tired of folding. But in our new town our life appears to be a lot busier than it was before, so I needed to cut out the time it took to fold, stack, lay in a cover (or several at a time) and so on. Now I use pockets and its just stuff and put away and then I can just go. I only have to mess with my diapers when Im done washing them. Flats aRE easy, but not right now in my life stage. I did keep 24 of them and covers in every size because they are great for vacations, or when I run out of my minimal pocket stash. I bought them originally to take on vacations, lol, so they are going back to my vacation stash.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

All of my flats are stashed away for the time being because I got sick of folding. Granted, pregnancy nausea was the culprit, but I still haven't pulled them back out and find myself debating an AIO system of some sort for the hereafter.

Right now we're back in prefolds. I do plan on using flats for the newb, though.

the great thing about flats is the low investment and the re-use possibilities. You hate it, you can resell OR use them as something else without feeling too guilty.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Kyonarai
Registered Users
seller

^3 week old dd at 6lbsish(was a 33 week preemie)^

triangle or newborn fold, basically fold the flat into a square(so in half one way to make a rectangle, then fold the rectangle in half to make a square), and then fold one corner to the opposite to make a wide triangle....looks like this before you put it on:

Close up:

with Rumparoo newborn cover:

Kyonarai is offline   Reply With Quote