Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Name help!!!

Ladies I am so stuck lol. Naming DS was so easy. This time around, not so much. So DH and I decided to write down our top 5 names and revisit this next week with our lists. I have two names that I really love and DH says they are growing on him now that he knows it's a boy but I have a feeling he doesn't like them. Okay so our last name starts with O and is pretty common. The names I like are:

1. Owen Bradley O.
2. Oliver (dean maybe?)

And then I'm lost. We both like Benjamin but I'm afraid people will come up with nicknames like "Benny" or "benji" (when I say people I mean my MIL. DS name is Mason and she calls him "Mase" I hate it with a passion.) should I not worry about that and just correct them?

Help!!! Suggestions needed!!

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Name help!!!

I really like Oliver but I think it is getting pretty trendy right now. I do think Oliver Dean sounds very nice, though.

I am not much help- we always name our boys after people and then do a Hebrew middle name (except my oldest who got grandpa's name as a middle). This time around has been much more difficult but I think the name is decided since all the boys are calling the baby by the name we were discussing. LOL
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really like Owen!
I say if you like the name Benjamin go with it and just correct people. I know 3 Benjamins and never in 6 years have I ever heard anyone call any of them Benny or Benji so it might just be MIL that would do that. If she does I'd just tell her that's not his name and correct her.

Luckily I've had my boy name for a while, now if this is a girl I'm stumped. I'm having the hardest time with girl names.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks! Yeah Oliver has gotten pretty popular. I had Owen Bradley picked out when we were newly prego and another girl at playgroup just announced they are naming their boy Owen (darn it) I mean we are army so it's not like we will be at the same playgroup forever but still.

Yeah my family doesn't shorten names ever. You are named what you are and thats it. My MIL has shortened all her boys names on purpose and now does it to DS when there is no reason. I'll just have to tell her.

Baby name sites are so overwhelming!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
chach4
Registered Users
seller

I like owen. My friend that had a boy 3 days ago names him owen Michael. Sounds nice. Id have a hard time correcting ppl if they have a nickname, but thats just me.
Go with what you and your husband like.
chach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
girlichick
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chach4
I like owen. My friend that had a boy 3 days ago names him owen Michael. Sounds nice. Id have a hard time correcting ppl if they have a nickname, but thats just me.
Go with what you and your husband like.
Owen and Oliver are both super nice! I would have a hard time choosing too. As far as nicknames, our sons name is Matthew and he goes by Matthew. My in laws tried to "Matt" him a couple of times, and DH was like, "not Matt, Matthew.". Now Matthew will correct when people call him Matt!! Maybe he will prefer it when he gets older, but we haven't had a problem with him still being Matthew.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like all 3 of your name choices. If you both like Benjamin, I would choose that. He'll be around you the majority of the time, so I would try not to let the occasional 'Benji' or 'Benny' get under your skin. Would you call him Ben?

Last edited by boogamama; 03-16-2012 at 09:28 PM.
boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
NorwexMa
Registered Users
seller

My lil brother's name is Anthony. My mom refused to use a nickname. She said we had to wait until he was old enough to decide if he wanted a nickname. Well, by the time that rolled around, we were so used to calling him Anthony, that we still call him that. So if it's a stipulation you let everyone know of kindly right away, I don't think that sould stop you from a favorite name :-)

I enjoy being thrifty green with Norwex! http://leahrus.norwex.biz
NorwexMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogamama
I like all 3 of your name choices. If you both like Benjamin, I would choose that. He'll be around you the majority of the time, so I would try not to let the occasional 'Benji' or 'Benny' get under your skin. Would you call him Ben?
This name is really growing on me I would call him Benjamin as would DH. I don't mind Ben all that much so it wouldn't bother me although I can see myself telling his elementary school teachers that his name in Benjamin not Ben lol. Id just let my mil for the sake of saving an argument.

My mother use to do this for my sister. Her name is Kimberly and when anyone would call her Kim she corrected them. Now my sister does it. The only people allowed to call her "kimmy" are our little cousins who when learning to speak had a really hard time with her name.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are big on nicknames. I don't know why. We call our oldest Tomy (Tomas), our middle one Ari (Ariel, but this is his middle name) and our youngest Ito (sounds like EE-toe). That is short for Juanito which is a nickname of course that means little Juan.

Venis (sounds like Vennis) will be called Venito or Vennie.

My sister's name is Kimberlie but when my oldest was just starting to talk he called her Minnie and that name has stuck with her since. My husband calls me by my middle name or another nickname which means blonde, even though I am not blonde. It is more of a reference that I am American. LOL Occasionally, he will use my real name and we NEVER call my husband his real name. We call him a nickname that is a shortened version of his given name, kind of. Confusing? Maybe a little but it is the norm around here. LOL