Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Question about Circumcision (yes, a real question!)

Sorry, I didn't say it properly My daughter's issues were both with her ureters and her kidneys, so I should have caught that! I still don't think that circumcision will help prevent UTIs in a boy though.

Advertisement

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

neither of my boys (13 and 6 ) have had a UTI and DH has had 1 UTI when he was 30.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The rate of UTIs looks like this for age under 1 year:

More Common
Girls
Intact Boys
Circ Boys
Less Common

Additionally, it is not known if the UTI risks are related to the old instruction to pull back the foreskin to clean.

I would not circ for this reason. Really, you don't know that it will help, and girls are far more likely to get UTIs anyway, so if the baby is a girl, you will still have to deal with this issue.

I'd also make sure if baby is a boy and you decide to keep him intact, and he does need a cath, make sure you ask the person placing the cath if they have experience on intact penises without retracting them before you let them near him. I've heard one too many stories of boys who were retracted (which likely causes infections) because the nurse had no idea how to place a catheter without retracting.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzbear View Post
The rate of UTIs looks like this for age under 1 year:

More Common
Girls
Intact Boys
Circ Boys
Less Common

Additionally, it is not known if the UTI risks are related to the old instruction to pull back the foreskin to clean.

I would not circ for this reason. Really, you don't know that it will help, and girls are far more likely to get UTIs anyway, so if the baby is a girl, you will still have to deal with this issue.

I'd also make sure if baby is a boy and you decide to keep him intact, and he does need a cath, make sure you ask the person placing the cath if they have experience on intact penises without retracting them before you let them near him. I've heard one too many stories of boys who were retracted (which likely causes infections) because the nurse had no idea how to place a catheter without retracting.
I don't think I'm understand the bolded part. maybe I am not reading it correctly?

As for the rest of it, those are all really great points. Our daughter's urologist told us when we began trying for #2 that as a precaution baby #2 will go immediately on antibiotics at birth and then we would need to bring him/her in for testing (which would include a cath) in the first week. I will definitely remember that last part. thank you
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the case of kidney reflux, I don't think it would matter one way or the other. Even without kidney reflux, UTI's just aren't that common in boys. They are much more common in girls, yet we treat with antibiotics, never suggesting cutting off functioning body parts as a first line of defense.

There's lots of info here:
http://www.circumstitions.com/Utis.html

An excerpt from that page:

"One commonly quoted figure is that UTIs are ten times as common in intact boys (1.1%) as circumcised boys (0.1%). This means that circumcision can offer an absolute reduction of 1% at best."

As for circumcision, there's an average risk of complication, around 4%. http://www.circumstitions.com/Complic.html

UTI's are most common in the first year of life, and risk is around 1%. Circumcision carries a risk of around 4%, and effects may last a lifetime. In fact, they will definitely be affected for the rest of their lives whether they know it or not, scarring, reduced sensation, etc.

It is not worth the risk, beyond that, also a human rights issue.

His body, his choice.

Last edited by burnsis; 03-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post

His body, his choice.

Last edited by burnsis; 03-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
amiecheatham
Registered Users
seller

thank you so much for the information.
amiecheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecheatham View Post
I don't think I'm understand the bolded part. maybe I am not reading it correctly?

As for the rest of it, those are all really great points. Our daughter's urologist told us when we began trying for #2 that as a precaution baby #2 will go immediately on antibiotics at birth and then we would need to bring him/her in for testing (which would include a cath) in the first week. I will definitely remember that last part. thank you
FYI- NICU nurses can cath intact newbies really well
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecheatham View Post

Sorry, what I mean is that the chances of getting a UTI if you are an intact boy under the age of 1 are smaller than if you are a girl. Girls get more UTIs than intact boys. Does that make more sense?

My intact boy has not had a UTI either, but I think genetics plays a part in that. I've only ever had a UTI once or twice in my life.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The study that shows that UTIs are more common in a uncircumcised boy was not very well done. The discharge instructions the boys got from the hospital said to retract and clean. Your boy will be at increased risk for a UTI circumcised or not due to structure. The cause of recurrent UTIs is due to structure not circumcision status. He very well could have a lot of UTIs due to the kidney reflux but it wouldn't be affected by his circumcision status. The severity would determine if they would need to operate just like with a girl.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 03-16-2012 at 08:11 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote