Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Question about Circumcision (yes, a real question!)

I have two mom friends with little boys with that condition. Both are uncirc'ed and have not seemed to have had any more problems with the reflux as a result. Yes, they have had a few UTI's, but I don't think it's b/c they are not circ'ed.
HTH

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you've gotten a lot of helpful responses and links but I also wanted to add that my nephew has a similar issue (it may actually be the same thing I just don't remember the name) and he was circ'd as a newborn (not for this reason) and has been hospitalized 3 times for UTIs so it didn't "help" him.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #33
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
It would probably be best to talk to different doctors in the specialities who do this type of situation and see what they recommend. The advice you are getting here is non-medical and some very personalized responses based on their personal beliefs that may or may not be best in your family situation.
You can't really do this in the U.S. Doctors often aren't taught correct information on the intact penis. I believe I know more about them, medically, than the vast majority of U.S. educated doctors and I only have a high school education! The only thing they are taught is how to cut off the foreskin. This is evident by the large number of parents who come through here being told by their doctors that circ is necessary because of extremely minor problems (or normal, physiological conditions the doctors believe are problems!) that could be fixed (or left alone!) a number of other ways. And not just on this board, but other boards, IRL, and on boards dedicated to this subject, like on mothering.com's CAC board. If we could trust doctors to handle foreskins appropriately, we'd have a less than 1% future circ rate, instead, last I heard, 10-15% of intact boys are being circ'ed later in life for "problems". This is how our newborn circ rate is around 35-50% and our adults stay at a steady 80%. It will go down eventually as less and less people circ initially, but doctors aren't helping in the meantime.

I like the idea of looking out of the country for advice.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
You can't really do this in the U.S. Doctors often aren't taught correct information on the intact penis. I believe I know more about them, medically, than the vast majority of U.S. educated doctors and I only have a high school education! The only thing they are taught is how to cut off the foreskin. This is evident by the large number of parents who come through here being told by their doctors that circ is necessary because of extremely minor problems (or normal, physiological conditions the doctors believe are problems!) that could be fixed (or left alone!) a number of other ways. And not just on this board, but other boards, IRL, and on boards dedicated to this subject, like on mothering.com's CAC board. If we could trust doctors to handle foreskins appropriately, we'd have a less than 1% future circ rate, instead, last I heard, 10-15% of intact boys are being circ'ed later in life for "problems". This is how our newborn circ rate is around 35-50% and our adults stay at a steady 80%. It will go down eventually as less and less people circ initially, but doctors aren't helping in the meantime.

I like the idea of looking out of the country for advice.
People on message boards who are not board certified doctors are not going to know MORE than a doctor regarding the medical issue. It is less about circ than it is the impact on doing it or not regarding this specific medical condition. You cannot take one message board that is very bias in parenting styles and make it the be all and end all. The focus needs to be supporting the mom whose child has a medical issue vs. circ as its a very specific issue. For little things, sure I sometimes take the advice on here but for something big like that, no way.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like he would have problems circ'd or not TBH. I don't think much would have to do with foreskin or not.

But there's a much lower chance of boys getting UTI's than girls anyway. But if you have a child that has a higher risk of UTI's BECAUSE they have some special condition, then it seems, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.. KWIM? I'd personally leave it alone unless proven otherwise that it's beneficial to remove.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #36
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally, in your circumstance, i would consult with a pediatric urologist, perhaps before, or after the birth...but before performing the circ.

IF there is a need for surgery, i know for my DS who had hypospadias (which is not really related) they needed to use the foreskin tissue to reconstruct b/c its a hairless tissue. Otherwise, they'd have been taking skin graphs from his cheeks
Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs

People on message boards who are not board certified doctors are not going to know MORE than a doctor regarding the medical issue. It is less about circ than it is the impact on doing it or not regarding this specific medical condition. You cannot take one message board that is very bias in parenting styles and make it the be all and end all. The focus needs to be supporting the mom whose child has a medical issue vs. circ as its a very specific issue. For little things, sure I sometimes take the advice on here but for something big like that, no way.
I didn't say she should take the advice here as the be all end all. At all. I said U.S. doctors know very little and I wouldn't trust one and the idea of finding one outside the country seemed like a good idea. And I don't believe every mama here knows more than a doctor. I said I believe I do, personally, on this particular topic. I'm not being arrogant, I've really never met a doctor who knew more than me. I've spent years researching every little thing about circ and the intact penis. But I still didn't say she should take my advice. I explained why U.S. doctors will probably just want to cut it off, no matter what the problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam

I didn't say she should take the advice here as the be all end all. At all. I said U.S. doctors know very little and I wouldn't trust one and the idea of finding one outside the country seemed like a good idea. And I don't believe every mama here knows more than a doctor. I said I believe I do, personally, on this particular topic. I'm not being arrogant, I've really never met a doctor who knew more than me. I've spent years researching every little thing about circ and the intact penis. But I still didn't say she should take my advice. I explained why U.S. doctors will probably just want to cut it off, no matter what the problem.
But this is YOUR experience with physicians... How far have you traveled to see Peds and urologists? I happened to know a Ped who studied in other countries and is very hands off compared to many Peds I've dealt with at Kaiser. I really doubt you know more about it that he does... He's probably been practicing Pediatric medicine since you were an infant! This is just such a perfect example of the mis-information spread on this board. The concept of "I know more than any dr on intact penises" is absurd! Maybe more than "any dr I've met" is accurate, but really... Compared to how many Peds are practicing in the US, I would bet money that your run ins have been minuscule. Add to that geographical location and the rate of circ in your area and you can skew those numbers even further. A newer Dr in the San Francisco area may not have the same opinion as a Dr in Birmingham ya know?

Eta- Your state has one of the highest circ rates in the country... 85% tied with Michigan. Your state Medicaid also covers RIC which contributes to this.

Last edited by TwinKristi; 03-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #39
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Hi OP-

I too would suggest looking at info from other countries.

Here - Canada - the circ rate is only around 10%.
SO 90% of our boys are NOT circed!

I have NO idea what studies are out there and if there are any that are 1) more recent since our stats are newish and 2) only Canadian but you may be able to find info that is different then the US just because of the sheer number of un-circed boys.

AND - if your potential boy were my son I think I would take a wait and see aproach. I have kids with medical issues and SNs I *personally* wouldn't put my baby through a circ on the slim chance - it can ALWAYS be done later!

Also - totally non medical but I have 3 boys - all intact and none of them have ever had a UTI - we even use bubble bath I think that "risk" is over-stated a little bit, trust me there isn't rampant UTI's in non-circed little boys. Myself on the other hand I get UTI's ALL...THE...TIME - I know your situation is different but common UTI's (not related to body structure) are just seen WAY more often in women and girls.

It is totally your decision of course, and may be the best for your family -
BUT DON'T LET FEAR make the decision for you

Last edited by mg5g; 03-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #40
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi

But this is YOUR experience with physicians... How far have you traveled to see Peds and urologists? I happened to know a Ped who studied in other countries and is very hands off compared to many Peds I've dealt with at Kaiser. I really doubt you know more about it that he does... He's probably been practicing Pediatric medicine since you were an infant! This is just such a perfect example of the mis-information spread on this board. The concept of "I know more than any dr on intact penises" is absurd! Maybe more than "any dr I've met" is accurate, but really... Compared to how many Peds are practicing in the US, I would bet money that your run ins have been minuscule. Add to that geographical location and the rate of circ in your area and you can skew those numbers even further. A newer Dr in the San Francisco area may not have the same opinion as a Dr in Birmingham ya know?

Eta- Your state has one of the highest circ rates in the country... 85% tied with Michigan. Your state Medicaid also covers RIC which contributes to this.
You are skewing my words. I didn't say I knew more than any other doctor. I said I believed I know more than most based on what they are routinely taught about intact penises (if they educate themselves above and beyond I don't know). I haven't always lived in Ohio, btw, and not every doctor practicing here was educated here. I've also been forced to learn more about my DDs GI stuff and tube feeding because we've seen 8 nutritionists and 3 GI docs that did not know what to do with her. So I learned what I needed to know and took over. Despite having a GJ tube, gastroparesis and GERD, chronic aspiration, and chronic gut pain, she does not see a GI doctor. Her primary physician knows this and knows I'm capable of managing her feeds and treating her at home. I also perform all my DDs nursing care having never stepped foot in a nursing school. Im not trying to impress you, I'm just saying you don't necessarily need college to learn stuff. And again, I didn't say she should just take anyone's advice, but I do feel I've learned enough to caution her on U.S doctors.