Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
SDRS
Registered Users

flats question

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with some information. I am currently using prefolds but need to move up a size for absorbancy purposes. I also would like to try flats for their ease of washing and no stink issues. I plan on pad folding them and laying them in a Thirsties Duo or Flip cover for my 20 month old. How does the absorbancy compare in flats folded this way to prefolds? I am currently using the red edge GMD prefolds if that helps for comparison. Also, bulkiness? More or less than a prefold? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks so much!

Advertisement

SDRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
lifesaturtle
Registered Users
seller

I have large gmd flats and I find padfoling super bulky compared to everything else I have in my stash and the absorbency doesn't seem any better then everything I have that is much trimmer. But I have a super heavy super soaker.
lifesaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Abbaloosa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: flats question

I also have large GMD flats. Compared to a red edge GMD prefold...the flat is a little thinner if you fold to the same size as the trifolded prefold. Not sure on absorbancy as my LO is not into red edge yet....but I'd guess they would be about the same.
Abbaloosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I have large DR prefolds and GMD reds; they seem pretty much the same absorbancy when worn the same way, i.e. prefolds as pinned prefolds, flats "prefold"-folded into 4x6x4 and pinned. Considering that the flat only has 6 layers in the middle and the prefold has 8 and they have the same absorbancy, I would think that if they were both padfolded it would be similar as well.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have GMD large flats and used to have the GMD red edge prefolds too. IMO the flats fold up a bit trimmer than the prefolds because you don't have that kind of prefold quilted poof. And I think they absorb about the same amount. If you are in red-edge I'd say you want a large flat for sure, or if you were using small flats use two or one and a really absorbant doubler.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote