View Poll Results: Should I travel without my baby?
Yes-baby will be fine! 30 40.54%
No-stay home. 45 60.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Poll: Traveling without baby

i have the chance to travel for 9 days with my oldest daughter to Pennsylvania. This is a trip where our group would be hosted by other families and my 10 month old would need to stay home. On one hand 9 days seems like a long time for a 10 month old to be without momma, but on the other hand I don't want my eldest to miss out on things with mom because we have a baby. What would you do?

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: Poll: Traveling without baby

I assume someone you trust will be taking care of the 10 month old, so I say go and have fun. If it was a situation where you were away all the time, then that would be different. But I think your older child deserves this time with mom just as much as the baby does. When DS1 was about 1 1/2, DH and I took a week long cruise and he stayed home with Grandma. DH and I had an awesome time away, and Micah and Grandma both had a blast. Now, I am definitely not the whole attachment parent/don't let your baby out of your arms until he is 3 type, so my opinion might not be the same as others.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
lilac0226
Registered Users

I've never traveled without my children, so emotionally I'm not sure I could do it, but as long as the baby is with someone you really trust to take good care of them I think it would be okay. It will be an experience that your oldest will never forget, and maybe for the time being it will be difficult for your 10 month old, but I think they will be okay. If hubby is the one taking care of the baby, I'm even more for it, since sometimes they need quality time with little ones where they don't have mom to form a closer bond.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would stay home. No way would baby understand why you have suddenly disappeared. If baby could articulate his/her thoughts he/she would probably feel abandoned. Obviously these are my thoughts and beliefs but I don't see how baby would see it any other way. Can you afford to make a private trip where you can take baby along. Perhaps do a day trip with just od so you are not away from baby so long if you really want time with just od.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't do that at all. I have 5 soon-to-be 6 kids and there are various times where the teens miss something bc the baby needs me or other times where the baby misses a nap or has to sit at endless lacrosse games.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

I couldn't leave my 10 month old for that long, even if it was with someone I trusted fully. I imagine it would be very difficult on both of us, especially with nursing and night waking. But I also understand wanting to give your DD1 some one on one mama time. What about a day or weekend trip? Maybe just the two of you could go to the zoo or something like that? Or go to a nearby city and spend the night in a hotel for a night? That would probably be fun for her too.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

At 10 months old, your baby has been alive over 300 days. To spend 9 of them without you isn't going to hurt the baby a bit.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I wouldn't do that with my 21 month old. Even at her age, her whole life is oriented around me, along with her whole perception of self. She loves DH, and she can be alone with him for a few hours just fine, but she NEEDS her mom. Without me around she feels disoriented because all day long she is looking to me for guidance/security/affirmation/etc. Even if a 10-month-old can't express it the way a toddler can, I think it would still be the same.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

You know your baby and who you are leaving him/her with best. Is he/she a clingy, mama-only baby? Or is he/she close to Dad/Gma/whoever you would leave baby with? Does the caregiver give a similar amount of care and comfort to the baby? Has the baby ever been away from you? I think what you know about your baby will tell you much more. My kids (especially ODS) were never "mommy only" kids, even with me sah, and my hubby and in-laws are very attentive, comforting caregivers. I might be a bit hesitant to leave a 10mos old for more than a week, but I have left yds for a few days when he was 5.5mos as a compromise with my dh. Wasn't my first choice, but he did really well.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

9 days seems like a long time to me. No, I dont' think it would cause permanent damage to the baby, but how do you explain to a baby that you'll be back and you're only going away for a little bit?

A long weekend, sure. 9 days just seems to long. But, that's me....