Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Users
how to keep my baby off her flat spot on head at night

My almost 7 month baby girl which was born early so adjusted she is almost 4 months is a little flat on her right side. Not bad enough to be banded but I dont want it to get any worse. During the day I try to keep her on her belly, on her left side or sitting up in an bumbo or exersaucer. The thing is that she is now sleeping 9 to 9 straight. When she goes to sleep I make sure she is on her left side but she moves around so in the mornings when I go get her she is most of the time laying on her right side which is her flat side. I dont know how much she is sleeping on that side because Im sleeping. I had a physical therapist look at her and they did say she has mild tort which is something about the muscles in the neck. She will get treatment once a week. They said it was a mild case though. So what can I do to keep her off her flat spot at night? With her being 7 months but 4 months corrected do you think her head will get worse or if anything stay the same. Its not bad I just dont want it to get worse. I was wondering since baby's heads get harder if it is less likely to get worse?

fulloflove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
My Mood:
Re: how to keep my baby off her flat spot on head at night

Would one of those soothers on the side you want her looking at help?

Like this:

Last edited by Hands&Fire Pottery; 03-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
There's not a lot you can do unless you buy a helmet.

I was so upset about my baby's flat spot, I held her for hours and hours to nap so she wouldn't lay on it. She hated tummy time, but I fought with her like crazy.

Luckily they're girls and so hair covers it. And luckily for me, her flatness is on the back - I think side flatness would be more difficult.

I would just try to keep her upright as often as she's awake and perhaps look into a helmet, but they can be costly. Helmets work best in the first year and I'd assume that the adjusted age wouldn't really matter.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

We always put DFS on his good side to sleep. Our PT also had us do as much tummy time as possible. She wanted a minimum of 4 hours a day.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

There wasn't anything I could do when my youngest dd had that issue. I faced dd on the other side and placed her so that when she was on the other side she would be looking at the room not the wall but she always moved her head. It did work for my oldest who also had torticollis but not my youngest. Even in a baby carrier I could get her to keep her head facing her non favored side. She always turn it the moment I tried to fix her position. I got a side carrier so she had to look to the other side. She did even try to fight that but it worked better.

During the day you can hold her shoulder down and do stretches like this. The PT had me do things to help her overall gross motor skills and to really encourage her to use both sides because she tended to like to move better on one side for instance she like to roll one way so I used toys to encourage her to go the other way. I did try to give her as much tummy time as she could tolerate but it usually didn't last very long but I made the best out of what time she would allow.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote