Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
alexandrapasko
Registered Users
seller

Do you give gifts for "other" holidays?

I attended a consignment sale this week, and I was surprised at how many moms I talked to who were giving wagon loads of toys/clothes to their kids as gifts for Easter. Of course, they were equally shocked that I was going to just put the clothes into my kids closets and the puzzles and games into the playroom.
I'm curious what your views are on gift giving. I reserve gifts for birthdays, Christmas, and to commemorate very special occasions (graduation, being a wedding attendant, etc.). I give my children clothes and learning toys freely (but not frequently) because I see them as necessities. This is pretty much the same way I was raised.
How many/what kind of gifts do you give your children for what occasions and why?

Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We do Easter but not vday or st pattys day

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you give gifts for "other" holidays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
We do Easter but not vday or st pattys day

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Us too.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

We do Easter baskets but nothing major - just candy and a few little toys (think Matchbox cars and similar size) and books. That's how both DH and I were raised as well. Though this year we did get the 2 bigger kids a little chocolate for Valentine's - we don't normally but for some reason they were so excited about Valentine's and I guess we got a little caught up in it. Other than Christmas, birthdays, and the little bit at Easter, that's it unless I find something super cheap at a garage sale.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrapasko View Post
... I reserve gifts for birthdays, Christmas, and to commemorate very special occasions (graduation, being a wedding attendant, etc.). I give my children clothes and learning toys freely (but not frequently) because I see them as necessities. This is pretty much the same way I was raised...
^ Same here... except for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_jeanie View Post
We do Easter baskets but nothing major - just candy and a few little toys (think Matchbox cars and similar size) and books. That's how both DH and I were raised as well.
^That

LOL Basically... I do sometimes let my kids pick a little $1-2 toy if we're out all day and they've been well behaved, but we rarely ever go out like that, so it's a random special treat. If I find good deals on toys, I buy them and put them in a 'tomorrow box' for birthdays/Christmas.

This year for their Easter baskets (Yeah, I'm done shopping already! LOL) I got them cute buckets (I usually try to get a 'basket' that can be reused) that can be used later to play in the yard or at the beach/camping, I filled them with a few eggs which I will put a few treats in, some bubbles, a small stuffed bunny for DD, small 50 cent pack of sidewalk chalk, each got a small touch and feel book, etc... nothing major, no real 'toys' really...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
charise820
Registered Users

My Mood:

Christmas is indoor toys and winter toys (if we live where snow is) books and things you do when you don't go outside. clothes and other needed things

Easter is spring/summer clothes and out door toys like this year every child and hubby got bikes early with new helmets and everything.

in their baskets go bubbles and side walk culk, seeds to grow plants sand toys, balls and bats and ANYTHING that they like that will get it out.

In a way we split what some spend on christmas between christmas and easter. All the birthdays in our home are the last four months of the year so that's 8 months of not doing gifts and dh and I don't like to wait that long.

but to each there own.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charise820 View Post
Christmas is indoor toys and winter toys (if we live where snow is) books and things you do when you don't go outside. clothes and other needed things

Easter is spring/summer clothes and out door toys like this year every child and hubby got bikes early with new helmets and everything.

in their baskets go bubbles and side walk culk, seeds to grow plants sand toys, balls and bats and ANYTHING that they like that will get it out.

In a way we split what some spend on christmas between christmas and easter. All the birthdays in our home are the last four months of the year so that's 8 months of not doing gifts and dh and I don't like to wait that long.

but to each there own.
This. But I see Christmas and birthdays as the major gift giving holiday/events. Easter is more minor to me. DD might get an outfit and a few smaller spring gifts, which since her birthday is in the fall makes some sense. It doesn't really make sense to give her things like sidewalk chalk and gardening tools in October or December. Some years I might save a larger gift like a bike for Easter because of when her birthday falls, but for the most part, the gifts at Easter are small ones.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Christmas and birthdays are it really at our house. And their birthdays both fall within a few weeks of Christmas, so that is a whole big void of no-presentness. But like you, I don't wait for a "special occasion" to get them clothes, art supplies, books or educational stuff. I just get them once in a while when I have a few extra bucks. We don't celebrate a lot of holidays though, either, so I'm sure that plays in to it.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

We give gifts on Birthdays, Christmas , Valentines day and Resurrection Day
Valentines and Resurrection day are small gifts . Birthdays and Christmas are big gift giving days.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
alexandrapasko
Registered Users
seller

charise820, I LOVE the idea of seed packets in an Easter basket!