Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
SeaChellsRun's Avatar
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,137
My Mood:
Speechless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=AKyRnDX0edg


I don't know what's worse... The things Jessica says about labor and pregnancy and being a psycho mom or the remarks that Ellen makes towards her popping the baby tomorrow and possibly being twins.

And what's with the show title? "A Very Pregnant Jessica" Is there a not so pregnant woman? You're either pregnant or not!

Advertisement

__________________

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Computermama
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13,800
My Mood:
Re: Speechless...

Bah - I'm bigger than she is, at least in the belly. I get horrified looks every time I leave the house. At least she's got more in boobage so it doesn't look quite so disproportionate.

And not a single word either of them said is worse than I get daily. I mean seriously, someone gets pregnant, and everyone loses their minds as to what's appropriate.

Comments I've had today ALONE:

"Are you sure you're ok? Cause I have a first aid kit in the car in case you need to deliver." Dude, if I go into labor right now I'm not letting you anywhere near my nether regions. I don't know you.

"Are you sure there is only one kid in there? There's no way at all it could be twins." Umm, yeah, 4 ultra sounds, one baby. Really.

"You're never going to make it to April. No way on earth." Thanks for wishing me into a preemie. I'll be sure to take your name and number so I can come back and throttle you if she does end up in teh NICU.

"My god you've gotten huge." Why thank you. That's exactly what every woman wants to hear about her body, especially when she's volatile and hormonal.

Most of these were said by complete and total strangers, or at best passing acquaintances. Yep, thanks. The only way I can avoid them is to avoid leaving my house entirely. I carried DD1 the exact same way and probably would have been overdue with her had my OB not been so cut happy. My 39w2d induction didn't take at all, cervix completely long and closed.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
SeaChellsRun's Avatar
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,137
My Mood:
Re: Speechless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Bah - I'm bigger than she is, at least in the belly. I get horrified looks every time I leave the house. At least she's got more in boobage so it doesn't look quite so disproportionate.

And not a single word either of them said is worse than I get daily. I mean seriously, someone gets pregnant, and everyone loses their minds as to what's appropriate.

Comments I've had today ALONE:

"Are you sure you're ok? Cause I have a first aid kit in the car in case you need to deliver." Dude, if I go into labor right now I'm not letting you anywhere near my nether regions. I don't know you.

"Are you sure there is only one kid in there? There's no way at all it could be twins." Umm, yeah, 4 ultra sounds, one baby. Really.

"You're never going to make it to April. No way on earth." Thanks for wishing me into a preemie. I'll be sure to take your name and number so I can come back and throttle you if she does end up in teh NICU.

"My god you've gotten huge." Why thank you. That's exactly what every woman wants to hear about her body, especially when she's volatile and hormonal.

Most of these were said by complete and total strangers, or at best passing acquaintances. Yep, thanks. The only way I can avoid them is to avoid leaving my house entirely. I carried DD1 the exact same way and probably would have been overdue with her had my OB not been so cut happy. My 39w2d induction didn't take at all, cervix completely long and closed.
This is what I was thinking watching it... So it's ok and people laugh at a celebrity saying these things to another celebrity on tv... It's no wonder women get these kinds of comments in public. I get Ellen is being 'humorous' but it's frustrating that it fuels these kinds of ridiculous comments.

The first aid kit in the car? That's the best one I've heard!! I wouldn't have been able to keep from laughing at that one.
__________________

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Western Oregon
Posts: 7,162
My Mood:
Re: Speechless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Bah - I'm bigger than she is, at least in the belly. I get horrified looks every time I leave the house. At least she's got more in boobage so it doesn't look quite so disproportionate.

And not a single word either of them said is worse than I get daily. I mean seriously, someone gets pregnant, and everyone loses their minds as to what's appropriate.

Comments I've had today ALONE:

"Are you sure you're ok? Cause I have a first aid kit in the car in case you need to deliver." Dude, if I go into labor right now I'm not letting you anywhere near my nether regions. I don't know you.

"Are you sure there is only one kid in there? There's no way at all it could be twins." Umm, yeah, 4 ultra sounds, one baby. Really.

"You're never going to make it to April. No way on earth." Thanks for wishing me into a preemie. I'll be sure to take your name and number so I can come back and throttle you if she does end up in teh NICU.

"My god you've gotten huge." Why thank you. That's exactly what every woman wants to hear about her body, especially when she's volatile and hormonal.

Most of these were said by complete and total strangers, or at best passing acquaintances. Yep, thanks. The only way I can avoid them is to avoid leaving my house entirely. I carried DD1 the exact same way and probably would have been overdue with her had my OB not been so cut happy. My 39w2d induction didn't take at all, cervix completely long and closed.
ddc crashing. I was huge when pregnant too. Both my boys just wanted to ride on the outside of my body I guess. One man at Albertson's asked me if I was having a litter when I was only 6 months. DH's uncle takes the cake with both my pregnancies. "don't take this the wrong way, but you are FAT." (not meaning actual fat, just huge preggo tummy) and with #2, "laying there like that you look like a beached whale." His wife smacked him for that one. That was over 2 months before I had him too. People are just crazy rude. Then there are the seemingly innocent comments like "how far overdue are you" when you still have months to go.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Computermama
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 13,800
My Mood:
Re: Speechless...

Quote:
This is what I was thinking watching it... So it's ok and people laugh at a celebrity saying these things to another celebrity on tv... It's no wonder women get these kinds of comments in public. I get Ellen is being 'humorous' but it's frustrating that it fuels these kinds of ridiculous comments.
Pretty much. The more people hear others saying stuff like that, the more people think it's ok. I will congratulate Jessica on at least having a good sense of humor over it. I remember having a meltdown right about this point in my last pregnancy because I didn't want to leave the house anymore and deal with people and their stupid comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskira View Post
ddc crashing. I was huge when pregnant too. Both my boys just wanted to ride on the outside of my body I guess. One man at Albertson's asked me if I was having a litter when I was only 6 months. DH's uncle takes the cake with both my pregnancies. "don't take this the wrong way, but you are FAT." (not meaning actual fat, just huge preggo tummy) and with #2, "laying there like that you look like a beached whale." His wife smacked him for that one. That was over 2 months before I had him too. People are just crazy rude. Then there are the seemingly innocent comments like "how far overdue are you" when you still have months to go.
Yeah, I've been getting the "you must be due soon" since Christmas. End of April people. I'm a whole 5'4", and make big babies - DD1 was 9lbs 10oz a week early. They have no where to go but OUT. The very nice lady next door said I don't even look pregnant from teh back - and I don't. My legs and feet are a touch swollen, but all the weight is right out front. I've seen more than one person's eyes bug out when I turn around. It's gotten worse lately, since the weather's gotten nicer, so I don't have the somewhat camouflaging heavy winter coat. I was pregnant with DD1 through the summer, so it was bad pretty much all the way along.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
L&A'smommy's Avatar
L&A'smommy
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 4,185
Re: Speechless...

Woah I found that segment very unfunny and rude!!!
__________________
Mom raising three wonderful children.
L&A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: small town USA
Posts: 5,419
My Mood:
Re: Speechless...

This is exactly why I do not want to tell people. I hate all the comments.
__________________
wife and mom-- no other special labels. Just trying to do the best I can.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Speechless...

Wow you ladies have it rough! I've never gotten rude comments about my body when pregnant, especially not by strangers! Nothing bad enough that I remember it...:/

There was a cashier last week that commented that I and the lady behind me in line were making her nervous...and when I looked back I realized that it was the woman at the birth center who was due the same day as me! haha. Of course she has had her baby already...and we were both almost 40 weeks!
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
2+2macht4's Avatar
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Posts: 15,569
Re: Speechless...

I thought it was cute and funny. Nothing offended me about it.
__________________
Rena , Married to my German BFF T . Mom to 2 energizer bunnies L (12/2010) and E (10/2012). Come play with me: ISO/IHA, M2M,
2+2macht4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Urchin's Avatar
Urchin
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 719
Re: Speechless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I thought it was cute and funny. Nothing offended me about it.
Ditto!
__________________
Rae- Mama to Audri born 10/10/11
Swagbucks earn me $$$
Blog?
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.