Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

A million Radian questions and what seat to buy next...

Hi guys. I rarely pop in here, but another radian thread caught my eye and sucked me in and now I'm back to mulling carseat options. I'm not super in to carseat stuff, so spell things out for me like I'm in kindergarten, k?

We currently have a Radian XTSL in our '03 Camry. It's rear-facing with a seatbelt install in the center position (3.3 yr old DS uses it and I'd like him to RF to 4 or older if I can swing it). On the passenger side, we have a Graco Safeseat (with base). In the not-too-distant future, we're going to need to move DD out of her babybucket in to a convertable (the weight limit is 30 lbs and she's 22 now, so she'll probably hit the height limit first). I asked for recommendations here a while back and people suggested a Complete Air or MyRide. We looked at both in the store and took the skinnier-looking one out to try it in the car (I have no idea which one it was,...this was a month or so ago). Because of the way the outboard edge of the Camry seat slopes up, DH and I (who are not carseat people by any stretch of the imagination) couldn't get anything even resembling a decent install. It seemed like the carseat was just too wide to fit into the available space. It would not sit flat....the door hit the seat when we tried to close it.

So, I guess I'm wondering what to try now. The Radian we have is very angled and makes it so the front seats have to be pushed forward a bit...but it works out because it's in the center. My concern with trying another Radian is that it would push the front seat WAY WAY forward. I've heard angle adjusters mentioned...might this be an option for us in being able to use a second Radian in this car? (we already have another one that lives in DH's truck)

Also, when I was looking at the angle adjusters on Amazon I noticed a radian RXT. What is this? It's been a while since I bought my Radians...is this new? (I get that the SL in XTSL stands for superlatch...which I've read are sketchy...and since we seatbelt installed ours, also un-necessary for us). Tell me everything you can about the latest and greatest in radianville. Also...is the company who makes them no longer called Sunshine Kids?

Sorry this was so long and rambly. Thank you if you read it all...and thank you more if you respond!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: A million Radian questions and what seat to buy next...

The "skinny" seat would be the Complete Air. The other being the MyRide. The MyRide and the Radian puzzle very nicely when RF so it is a very good choice if you liked the seat. Simple install too

Sunshine Kids changed their name to Diono and "revamped" their seats. The Diono Radian RXT is what used to be the XTSL, the R120 is the new 80 and the R100 is the new 65. They also turn into (not so great) boosters now. I think I read something about revamping the LATCH too but not 100% positive on that one.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Yes. And the angle adjuster would likely help a lot.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Ashlovespat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How soon are you turning your son? If she lasts in the bucket, you could just buy a combo FF harness to booster for him and give her the radian...not sure if that's feasible though.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlovespat View Post
How soon are you turning your son? If she lasts in the bucket, you could just buy a combo FF harness to booster for him and give her the radian...not sure if that's feasible though.
I'd love to RF him until he's 5. But that will all depend on being able to RF another convertable next to the radian. I'll FF him if I have to.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
aaiya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
The "skinny" seat would be the Complete Air. The other being the MyRide. The MyRide and the Radian puzzle very nicely when RF so it is a very good choice if you liked the seat. Simple install too

Sunshine Kids changed their name to Diono and "revamped" their seats. The Diono Radian RXT is what used to be the XTSL, the R120 is the new 80 and the R100 is the new 65. They also turn into (not so great) boosters now. I think I read something about revamping the LATCH too but not 100% positive on that one.
What is not so great about the boosters? I have done NO research in to boosters since I'm hoping to RF my kids forever...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaiya View Post
What is not so great about the boosters? I have done NO research in to boosters since I'm hoping to RF my kids forever...
I don't have a Radian but had asked about them awhile ago and someone said they are outgrown by harness at about the same time they are outgrown as a booster, by height. That's one thing.