Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Firerose_RCM
Registered Users
Formerly: ClothGirl21

Baby Cereal

Why do all the doctors (at least all the ones around here) want to start babies off with cereal at 4 months old? I don't really see the point of it. I would rather wait until my baby was older and showed a lot of interest in food and give them something i'd eat myself but is okay for them.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
caselikoe
Registered Users
seller

The doctors here seem to be the same way. My DD is only 3 months but I have several friends with small babies who all were told to start cereal at 4 months. Each baby hated the cereal and the mama ended up waiting a bit to be able to introduce more appetizing foods.
caselikoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Cereal

doctors here aren't like that. My dd1 did start eating solids when she was 3 months and dd2 was 4 months but we did baby led so we went with their flow. I never fed baby cereal and baby food. I gave them whatever I was eating
Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think it's a throwback to the antiquated idea that a mother's milk diminishes in nutritional value the longer she nurses (which we now know isn't true at all). Baby cereal is packed full of artificial nutrients and vitamins. It's also difficult for many babies to digest.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
I think it's a throwback to the antiquated idea that a mother's milk diminishes in nutritional value the longer she nurses (which we now know isn't true at all). Baby cereal is packed full of artificial nutrients and vitamins. It's also difficult for many babies to digest.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
The doctors I know all recommend waiting until 6 months to start solids, but they still tell parents to start with baby cereal. We skip cereals and purees, and do baby-led weaning. It's much easier, and healthier for the baby.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, it is because the AAP council on nutrition says to start at 4 months, while the AAP council on breastfeeding says 6 months. I think they are just spouting what they are told to say.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just trust your own instincts and wait until your baby is older & actually shows interest in food, no matter what the doctor says. If your baby is of a healthy weight & thriving, there's no reason to introduce any cereal/other food right now.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothGirl21
Why do all the doctors (at least all the ones around here) want to start babies off with cereal at 4 months old? I don't really see the point of it. I would rather wait until my baby was older and showed a lot of interest in food and give them something i'd eat myself but is okay for them.
You can wait and you don't have to start with cereal. Iron fortified cereal as starter food came about around the same time as formula was being pushed by pediatricians.... For breastfed babies meats and veggies are good starters. My DS hated anything on a spoon until he was 9 mo. He prefers finger foods over puréed. Our pediatrician recommended we "still keep trying" spoon feedings, but we have let DS take the lead with BLW. Meals are much more enjoyable for all and less stressful
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

Not here either. Ours was a bit surprised we started at 4 months but he showed and interest and took to it right away. Every child is different. We couldn't do BLW as our kid could not gum and would choke and hated it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We never did cereal. The only time it was even mentioned by our pediatrician was at our 4 month doctor's visit. She asked about our plans for starting solids and told her 6 months (and BLW) and she said if we decided we didn't want to wait until 6 months we could do the cereal at any time.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote