Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: Baby Cereal

We didn't' do cereal until 6 months with DS, but the ped told us we could start it at 4 months and I just told her no way! He wasn't ready yet. We won't be doing cereal at all for this one.

I've read articles that suggest baby is NOT ready to digest cereal and grains like that until after their molars come in. It is nothing but a filler - so your baby gets filled up on junk it can't process instead of breastmilk, so essentially your are nutritionally STARVING your child.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
crunch!910
Registered Users

We didn't' do cereal until 6 months with DS, but the ped told us we could start it at 4 months and I just told her no way! He wasn't ready yet. We won't be doing cereal at all for this one.

I've read articles that suggest baby is NOT ready to digest cereal and grains like that until after their molars come in. It is nothing but a filler - so your baby gets filled up on junk it can't process instead of breastmilk, so essentially your are nutritionally STARVING your child.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our Doctor in the states and that area didn't tell us to start till 6 months. When I told Doctor we were skiping cereals he said, "Good". We did BLW and it was fantastic for us.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our ped said that we could start at 4 months but it was best to wait until 6.
I think we waited until closer to 7 because we did BLW and he didn't show all of the readiness signs right away.

I don't know anyone in real life who waited until 6 months. In fact, most of my friends are still putting cereal in bottles, even if it goes against their doctor's advice. One just posted about putting cereal in her 3 week old's formula because she was eating too much too often.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

just curious, why do they start cereal before pureed fruit? to me, it seems more logical that pureed fruit would be easier to digest than processed junk.
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another reason I love our pedi, she told us we should wait until at least 6 months and go right to fruits or veggies and that cereal wasn't needed. DD never had baby cereal.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WIC and our Ped both say to wait until 6mos now. I recently read an article about not giving rice cereal until after 1-2yrs! Not even Cheerios and such! They said to start with soft cooked egg yolk little bits at a time and then do fruits and veggies. Their bodies don't process the cereal or something?
And FWIW, I was told to start my twins on cereal at 3mos because they were drinking too much formula and had already tripled their birth weight. I started with cereal, then fruits and veggies. They're perfectly fine! My next all started solids later but we did use cereals, and WIC provided it! Now they give you baby foods too?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm... at our 4-month checkup my doc didnt even ask about solids, and my little-one is only in the 10th percentile in size. I guess I should be happy that he's pretty good that way.

Here they are really pushy (in a good way) about breastfeeding for at least 2 years and giving breastmilk-only until 6 months.

Still, i know many people who get persuaded by older family members to give thier babies rice cereal in a bottle to help baby sleep, or are told thier baby is too small and needs more than breast milk or is too big and needs to be fed more than breastmilk b/c they are growing so fast. A lot of people look at me like i'm stupid when i say im not giving Audri cereal, but starting with avacados instead...
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote