Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Toys: wooden vs plastic

I know a lot of moms on this forum are very pro-wooden toys. I certainly think they look better in the living room! However, are there other reasons besides aesthetics to favor wood toys? I'm trying to weed out for consignment and also decide what to keep for the next baby. I'm really struggling with my son's FP piano-he loved the sounds and lights when he was little. Would the next baby enjoy a simpler wooden piano just as much? Is there anything wrong with having some plastic toys?

Advertisement

MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

By *this* forum, I mean DS in general. I didn't know exactly where to post this question so I just put it in parenting.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Toys: wooden vs plastic

I personally don't have a problem with a small amount of electronic toys. I have a select few favorites for my kids and my daycare kids. Other than that, we have only battery free, screen free toys. My main reason for this is to encourage imaginative play versus being entertained all the time. Nothing worse than getting a 2 year old in the daycare that only knows how to push a button....has no clue how to build a tower or pretend play in the kitchen.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Plastic toys have chemicals and such in them. Some have the dreaded BPA. Wooden toys also tend to be simpler while a lot of plastic toys lean more toward over stimulation with all their colors, the electronic features, etc.

I love wooden toys, but something to consider is that LOs can put chew marks into them. Also, they tend to be able to break more things (or hurt others) when thrown because they're heavier and more solid.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
And dogs love to chew wood. Oh wait, our dog likes plastic too - but I am pretty sure he prefers wood- yum.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by melyndie
Plastic toys have chemicals and such in them. Some have the dreaded BPA. Wooden toys also tend to be simpler while a lot of plastic toys lean more toward over stimulation with all their colors, the electronic features, etc.

I love wooden toys, but something to consider is that LOs can put chew marks into them. Also, they tend to be able to break more things (or hurt others) when thrown because they're heavier and more solid.
How do you judge if painted/sealed wooden toys are safe in terms of chemicals?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
cokelush
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I make wooden toys for my granddaughter I use non treated wood {usually poplar} and paint with only watercolors. Then I seal that with a food-based cream of coconut oil and beeswax usually. All these things are non-toxic. Other paint may be a problem or not but new cpsia rules require testing so that helps.

I like the look of wood toys better, feel better in their hands, and that they don't demand {through sounds etc.} your child play with them in a certain way - but I see no reason why you couldn't keep a beloved plastic toy or two.
cokelush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokelush View Post
When I make wooden toys for my granddaughter I use non treated wood {usually poplar} and paint with only watercolors. Then I seal that with a food-based cream of coconut oil and beeswax usually. All these things are non-toxic. Other paint may be a problem or not but new cpsia rules require testing so that helps.
Wishing you were in our family! Do you sell on etsy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokelush View Post
I like the look of wood toys better, feel better in their hands, and that they don't demand {through sounds etc.} your child play with them in a certain way - but I see no reason why you couldn't keep a beloved plastic toy or two.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
cokelush
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
Wishing you were in our family! Do you sell on etsy?
lol thanks. Is it strange that my daughter {well, really the guy she married} - they aren't cruncy at.all.?? I'm the weirdo. So all the nice wooden toys and most of the open-ended toys stay our house that I babysit my granddaughter at.

I will have an etsy shop as soon as I get my buns in gear and get it going. I plan to have crochet/knit hats, small wooden critters and other toys and breakfast boards. If you send me your email I can let you know when it's up and running if you want. In the meantime I can recommend MamaRoots and my friend does amazing things with wood and a woodburner. Her fb page is: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hands...s/199146713664 she has an etsy too. Check them out if you wish.
cokelush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

plastic with the chemicals and the paint with lead on the plastic toys as well....the US is getting more strict, but some companies still use PVC, PABA and phlalates in their toys. Plus the wood toys don't fade like plastic does, or crack.....I have wooden toys from when my 18 yr old was a baby that the 21 mo old plays with and my DH didn't even know that they weren't new toys!