Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #41
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggfan View Post
I am surprised at the people who think 2 hours of pushing is long, or had C sections at that point. My memory from my research before my first birth was that 2-4 hours of pushing was a fairly accepted range in hospitals. I pushed for 1.5 hours with my first and it seemed very normal. FWIW, I pushed for about 5 minutes with my second child and maybe 10-15 minutes with my third, although the really intense pushes were 5 minutes or less.
Well for me we knew it was not the norm.

#1 - 1 hour of pushing
#2 - 10 minutes
#3 - 2 pushes
#4 - 2 hours in every position imaginable and no signs of descent or other progress. After my C/S you could see the bruising on his arms and the severe coning with a ridge where his head had been stuck. He was just simply too big.
#5 - 2 pushes - would have been 1, but the doctor made me stop pushing halfway through because she was coming and he wasn't ready, LOL.

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #42
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pushed for over 5 hours with my first (hospital birth). He was sunny side up and his head wasn't crowning at the correct angle. The MW got the OB for a vacuum assist, and had that not worked, he would have been a c/s. My second I pushed for maybe 5 mins, and my third for 10 mins... if that. Z was 8lb 3 oz, N was 7lb 10oz, and A was 8lb 13.3oz, so size didn't have much to do with it in my case. Just his presentation...

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #43
Mom2evie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeScarlet
I had a home birth, and pushed for about 2 hours. Near the end, the midwife was watching his heartrate and it suddenly dropped. She told me we had to get him out and did an episiotomy. She had her assistant push on my stomach as I pushed and DS came out pretty quick, but had shoulder dystocia and ended up breaking his right arm.

He was also big - 8 lbs 14oz.

All was well in the end though. The midwife found a great orthopedist and his arm healed very quickly. He's so healthy now I can barely remember those first few weeks of trying to hold him carefully. Last x-ray showed everything was completely healed.

The hospital on the other hand...they weren't so great to us. They made it clear that they disapproved of the home birth.
Fundal pressure is a huge no no in the hospital setting, risk of uterine rupture. But I guess at a home birth theres no choice.

I'm a CDing, vaxing on schedule, bottle feeding mama
Mom2evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #44
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One of my good friends had a similar birth, only hers ended in a c-section. She had a great, fast labor, and then just fizzled out once she was complete. She tried for 10 hours! The baby wasn't doing good at the end so they took her in. My pushing took about 10 minutes with DD!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #45
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
One of my good friends had a similar birth, only hers ended in a c-section. She had a great, fast labor, and then just fizzled out once she was complete. She tried for 10 hours! The baby wasn't doing good at the end so they took her in. My pushing took about 10 minutes with DD!
Really?! Was that her first baby, and has she had another since? Thanks for sharing. I'd be really interested to hear more of her story...
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #46
247mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all awesome job, mama!! Most people wouldn't make it that long! I have a question, did you start pushing only after you had a STRONG urge to push? I have read that it can really drain the mother's energy to push before a strong urge. Also, I would suggest trying to find a good craniosacral therapist if/when you are pregnant again. It really could be a sacral issue and if so could most likely, easily be corrected with the therapy. If you go to upledger.com, there should be a list of CTs in your area. In my opinion they work better than PT or chiropractors and use very gentle techniques that feel more like gentle massage than an "adjustment" (like with Chiros.)
247mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #47
JustSomeChickVee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I am glad to read that both you and baby were fine. Prolonged second stage is associated with adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and you and your baby are absolutely fortunate that a 10 hour second stage with shoulder dystocia did not have any adverse effect.

Honestly, I am truly surprised that your midwife allowed you to continue from home for that long.
agreed.

also, OP, this makes me very thankful that my son was out in 30 minutes. I cannot even begin to imagine pushing 20 times longer!
JustSomeChickVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #48
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaii_amaranth View Post
Really?! Was that her first baby, and has she had another since? Thanks for sharing. I'd be really interested to hear more of her story...
This was her first baby, which was born in October 2011. Mom was 27, in perfect health, and had no issues during her pregnancy so I don't know what happened. Baby just would not come down! Her mom has had 9 children, all born naturally and most at home so it was kind of surprising that she had such a hard time.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #49
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

Maybe I will look into a CT and/or one of the physical therapists who specialize in women's care, thank you for the links ladies!

Quote:
I have a question, did you start pushing only after you had a STRONG urge to push?
There was at least a half hour between full dilation and when I started pushing. I rested during the part where I was just starting to get a pushing urge... and I don't think I began to push until I really felt a strong sensation. The whole thing is just puzzling.

Quote:
This was her first baby, which was born in October 2011. Mom was 27, in perfect health, and had no issues during her pregnancy so I don't know what happened. Baby just would not come down!
Thank you for responding! The basics of her story seem to mesh with mine. I hope we both have an easier time for baby number two (if I can work up the nerve ).
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #50
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would of literally shot myself. No, really.

I've never heard of such a thing.. I thought my 3 hours was nuts. You must of just been DYING with the after pains.. I think I would of just went to the hospital and had a Csection. There's no words.. Speehless. You aren't a trooper, you are more than that, You're Amazing.

But you asked.. sorta.

I had 3 hours with Miranda, 1.5 with jake and about 10 minutes with Levi. (Levi was my only non epi baby.. Well correction, had the epi, didn't work. lol I think that was why I didn't have to push for hours.. because I could feel everything, and he basically pushed himself out, I didn't do much. the dr/nurses were actually telling me to quit pushing when I wasn't doing anything. weird sensation when I surely had to push the other 2 out)

Oh ETA Levi was my biggest by over a pound.. Miranda ended up being a forceps/vacumn delivery was cut and tore and I lost a ton of blood . With jake I did great, no dying, just lots of pushing, and Levi I ended up loosing more than they like blood.

Last edited by jenn5388; 03-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote